Long and Short of it.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by SPEYBUM, Mar 25, 2006.

1. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I have a 14' Heritage and two Rainshadow's (11'6" and 12'6") and seem to prefer the shorter spey's. My next spey will be between 13 and 13'6", something like a CND Black. Meiser MKS/Highlander or comparable blank(CTS) if I decide to build it.

I also want to play with some of the switch rod's and see how they cast, so I can't see I longer spey purchase in the near term for me. I will eventually get another 14'er, but that is down the road for me.

I have cast a variety of 15'er's and even a 16' and 17', but I seem to have to work too hard with them. I have enjoyed casting some of them, but just can't see the need for me to use a longer spey.

Bill
  2. Joe Smolt Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Aaron:

Seems no one is talking about mending and line control in this discussion of rod lengths. Isn't this more important than casting capabilities. Playing on Saturday, I frankly felt no limitations for the shorter rods for casting, but that may not be the only parameter for rod length.

Joe
  3. inland Active Member

Ratings: +45 / 0
    One reason that seems to come up quite a bit is once somebody gets efficient at casting the same distances can be reached with the shorter lighter line wt rods. Even if people move around between head lengths and casting styles.

With good form the 15' and up rods can become a pure pleasure to cast and fish. Even if, at times, you are overgunned for the prey at hand. After spending untold thousands of hours fishing and casting (two handers) over the past 12+ years I can find no more pleasure than what my favorite 15' 9/10 and floating long belly line provides. Even when common sense dictates smaller and lighter...those rods just never provide me equal satisfaction. Always feeling as though something is missing. So I go and find reasons to fish the bigger stuff where it isn't shooting woodcock with an elephant gun.

Just one anglers thoughts...

William
  4. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey inland, I agree the long rod, long floating line combo cannot be beat on those days when the journey matters as much as the destination. Especially in big water years like this. The only reason to be overgunned however is lack of funds. There are more and more 15 foot and longer rods in the 6 to 8 weight range every year. Check Meiser's rods for a great deal (still in the $600 range but essentially a custom rod) on a long and light one, or Clan if your pockets are REALLY deep... CND solstice 15' 2" 7/8/9 is nice. I'm sure there are other's I just don't follow the newest and latest. It's cheaper that way :p
  5. tweedside New Member

St.Boswells, scotland
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    "Seems no one is talking about mending and line control in this discussion of rod lengths. Isn't this more important than casting capabilities."
    Flybill

This IS absolutly on the button and, for me, is the BASIC answer to the whole question. It is because here in Scotland we often need max. line control that we opt for long rods and long heads. Short heads at any range just do not mend well enough.
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,609 / 0
    How much mending control is necessary? Do you need to mend line right out to the leader knot? I haven't found it necessary for effectively fishing the wet fly swing. I can see that greater line control would probably be necessary to fish dead-drifted nymph style, however.
  7. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    I find that rods of around 13.5 feet and shorter begin to suffer as line-menders beyond around 60-70 feet. Even if there's some combination of line choice and skill that lets the shorter rods cast farther than that, they're still handicapped. OTOH, there's a lot of pleasureable fishing to be done at moderate distances.
  8. inland Active Member

Philster,

I have tried every 15'ish 6/7/8/9's on the market and nothing quite does it for me. Eventually settled on the Loomis 15' 7/8 and XLT #7 when the A runs are in. When the odds for the B runs gets reasonable the 9/10 will be in use.

Plus the 9/10 makes, hands down for my casting style and tastes, a very efficient winter dryline rod too.

William
  9. SSPey Member

Oregon
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    has he forsaken understated blue for the green and gold bling?

oh the shame! :thumb:
  10. inland Active Member

Steve,

Nah. Just a 'better' tool for the job. Even though I about toss my cookies everytime I look at the baby poo colored rod. :)

Nice to see the best June run in the past 10 years over winchester....could bode well this summer for good numbers of fish. Unless they are early 'knowing' it's gonna get real hot this summer.

Still looking at the first week of August...

William
  11. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Understated blue?????
    PUHLEEEEEASE!;)