Long Belly for my Death Star

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by David Dalan, Nov 12, 2013.

1. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

So I'm coming around full circle, started with a long belly spey line 13 years ago, left it (and two handers in general) then started using various Skagit and Scandinavian head systems. I like them both, but I think my first foray into two handers had a bad match between the rod and the line (overloaded), so I want to take a crack at a long belly line again. There are a number of reasons, but when backcast room is abundant (Clearwater, Snake) i keep thinking a longer line would be nice.

So what's "the bees knees" these days with traditional spey lines? What do you like?

If possible, what have you enjoyed throwing on a Sage 7125 TCX?

I do fish tips.

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

I wouldn't fish a long belly on a rod that short. You might consider a Vector. I think the head length is about 55". I absolutely love mine. You can have them cut and looped and fish tips with them. The Nextcast Fall Favorite 55 is also a nice line. If you want to use it for tips. Buy the Winter Authority. It's the same as the FF, but cut and looped. I fish a WA 45 on my Burkie 7127. It's still a bit longer than skagits and scandis.

JS likes this.
  3. PT

PT Physhicist

I could send you either a 6/7 or 7/8 Rio Powerspey w/tips for you to try out. Do a little homework on those lines and see if they'd match up with your rod. Not really looking to sell 1 but you could try it to find out if it works for you.

4. David Dalan

My newbosity is showing. By long belly, i meant 50'-ish. I think the Rio line i had many moons ago was 50-60 with tips. I guess that is properly a short belly spey line. Sorry for the misdirection.

5. David Dalan

I would love to try the 7/8. Looks like the right grain range (570)I have thrown 600gr skagit iflight w/10' T-11, and most of the time i'm using a 525 flight or 550 short skagit + tips

PM. Sent :)

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Send it to you Monday or Tuesday.

7. FT

FT Active Member

Keep in mind that the Skagit lines are a lot shorter than the RIO PowerSpey lines. This means that just like a shooting taper/head on a single-hand rod that needs a line 1 or 2 line wts weights higher than the rod is rated for to properly cast, when you use a Skagit line (which is a shooting taper for a 2-hander) on a 2-hander, you need to go up in grain wt compared to a mid-belly line like the PowerSpey. I suggest you try to 6/7 PowerSpey on the 7126 since it is a 7 wt (or 6/7 wt) 2-hander and the 6/7 PowerSpey is a 7 wt mid-belly spey line. Especially since you said you quit using 2-handers a few years back because the lines felt like they were overloading the rod.

8. David Dalan

OK, I get what your laying down. That makes sense. My first stick was a much more traditional action, not nearly as fast as the TCX. At the risk of presuming, I think PT is probably game to let me try them both :)

9. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

When I have enough backcast space, I really enjoy 50-60' heads on my 12'6'' rods. I assume your death star will handle them nicely. Not to deter you, but the longer heads will make you quickly aware of your casting faults.

Let us know how it turns out.

10. PT

PT Physhicist

I'll send them both plus a Triangle Taper and another concoction built by an old timer. Rio's website recommends the 7/8 for that rod.

David Dalan likes this.