Long Belly line on Switch Rod?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Robert Engleheart, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

So I've been learning on my 11'-7" Meiser 5/6/7 Highlander since getting it this spring as a retirement present to myself and am satisfied with progress on "touch/Go" casting which is what I'll be using it the most for, sustained anchor casting still a work in progress. I had Bob include the Scandit system with the rod, including a level and tapered (Mendmaster) running lines and no complaints there. There are a couple of runs I'm fishing where a long belly line would appear to be more efficient, casting 70-80 feet and stepping thru the entire run without having to strip back to the head. I'm of a mind to try a line I already have before going out and spending the money for a traditional LB line; a Rio AS/Steelhead taper in the approriate grain weight: #8 at 420 grains for the entire 60' head. As this rod is recommended for a 400-600 grain window, I'd think this line would work, and have some room (grainwise) for tips.
    Any thoughts from you Jedi out there?

2. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

Give it a go. Remember to make sure that your casting stroke is longer than you use with skagit or scandi type of heads. I tried longer belly lines years ago with my 11' rods but eventually went back to my scandi heads. It is always nice to not strip in but I did not really want to change for my compact stroke on the delivery spey cast. Most of the areas I fish are better for head set ups due to the lack of space for me to make my D loop but If you are fishing rivers where you have the room to make you D loop with the longer bellies you should be fine. Have fun and post how things are going.

3. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    Split the difference and get a 5/6 windcutter for it. By the time you've shot 10' of running line, you'll be at about 70'.

4. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

if you can find one !

you may find, as i did, longer belly on shorter rod = alot more effort.
    alot more than the effort of stripping in 50' of running line.

and, Happy Festivus !

5. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    I picked up mine at the Steamboat Inn last summer, they might have a few left. Isn't the Godshall vector pretty similar?

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Try the UniSpey. I find it to be an improvement over the Windcutter.

7. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

The Airflo sixth sense single hand lines are fantastic on those "baby" speys. At 45? feet it's essentially a shorter version of the delta spey. It's worth noting that if you want a true "long belly" line on that rod, you're going to need something at least 58 feet or longer...

8. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Robert, a good starting point is telling us what your using now...length and grains? From that we can better assist you. For instance if you tell us the scandit system you are using is say 32' @ 430grns I'd tell you a longer and lighter line, like the one you have at 60' ish @ 420grn, may be a bit frustrating for you.

Just a stab in the dark...but I think you need to look for something around 47-52' around 500-550grns judging by the rods grain window. With rod length and leader that will put you close to 70'-75'.

Besides the right line, your going to need practice. A balanced system is just a part of the cast.

...there are no substitutes for solid fundamentals. A good solid caster can cast about anything, a bad caster blames the equipment.

James

Ed Call likes this.
  9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The main problem with a long headed line on a short rod is .... well, the rods too short. Unless you're going to really try (cast after cast) to stick that rod tip in the air you've got little room for the formulation of the 'D Loop.' My guess is once you get much beyond a 30 foot head on an 11' rod casting is going to get very interesting.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    The Sixth Sense is a fantastic switch line. I personally think the Delta is still one of the greatest spey lines ever, and the Sixth Sense is very similar all around.

11. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

i think you have a great excuse for buying a longer rod :D

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  12. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Yes, you may have hit it, there. For now, I'm going to concentrate on proficiency with this one, but I can see another Meiser in the future.
    Thanks for the feedback.