Long hackle fibers (intruders/spey flies)

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ed Call, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Awesome! And thanks for the video Constructeur.

Any idea if I can do this with some of the webbyer schlappen? Love the size of it but it seems like the barbs stick together a lot and don't come out as clean looking. Afraid with something as thin as that it might weaken the stem too much. Maybe just toss it in for a few seconds like the mallard?

Cool thread.

2. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Don't limit yourself to just peacock herl and eye, man. Peacock is the most underrated cape out there. Very irredescent feathers. Think, being able to palmer micro herl into a body like hackel. There are also all white varieties of peacocks out there that take dye very well. I'd pick up a cape of each if you can find one. I sourced mine from a buddies back yard coup so I don't know who if anyone sells them commercially. Not sure about your living situation but peachicks are usually under 5 bucks a piece at market. They are freaking loud tho so if you have close neighbors, I'd find some already skinned and processed.

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Peahen feathers work well too. Long fibres, flat stem, dye nicely

4. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

For spey: Get a good color selection of SCHLAPPEN and some Blue eared pheasant.
    Jack