Long hackle fibers (intruders/spey flies)

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ed Call, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Awesome! And thanks for the video Constructeur.

Any idea if I can do this with some of the webbyer schlappen? Love the size of it but it seems like the barbs stick together a lot and don't come out as clean looking. Afraid with something as thin as that it might weaken the stem too much. Maybe just toss it in for a few seconds like the mallard?

Cool thread.

2. Don't limit yourself to just peacock herl and eye, man. Peacock is the most underrated cape out there. Very irredescent feathers. Think, being able to palmer micro herl into a body like hackel. There are also all white varieties of peacocks out there that take dye very well. I'd pick up a cape of each if you can find one. I sourced mine from a buddies back yard coup so I don't know who if anyone sells them commercially. Not sure about your living situation but peachicks are usually under 5 bucks a piece at market. They are freaking loud tho so if you have close neighbors, I'd find some already skinned and processed.

3. Peahen feathers work well too. Long fibres, flat stem, dye nicely

4. For spey: Get a good color selection of SCHLAPPEN and some Blue eared pheasant.
    Jack