Long Lining W/ A Spey Rod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by HauntedByWaters, Dec 15, 2008.

1. You may as well cast across at a 45 and get some swing and water covered, because you can always let the fly simmer below you afterwards.

2. Well that sort of depends. I was thinking of using a tip that would be so fast that the cast and swinging would be a little tricky. I want something that will be near the bottom with the line under maximum tension and lift from the rod/river and this would be quite a bit faster than any sink tips I currently use.

Once the fly is out and swimming than you move the rod tip to swim the fly where you want. Strip in some line and toss a small mend to do a little swing left and right. Et cetera.

3. I have a whole mess of lead core in my garage. PM me if you woould like some. Nothing is gonns sink faster, especially if you have a section of thin line behind it.

Tex?,
    cds

4. Why not move to hardware? If you are just stripping line out and then dangling in holding water. It kind of removes the traditional challenge of flyfishing doesn't it? One of the things you need to consider in "high gradeing" water you are going pass by a lot of holding water by not swinging through it. Additionally, with the traditional cast, swing, step..... Crowd you may experience some speed of fishing questions.

That all said remember you don't have to drag the bottom, steelhead will move to a fly even in very cold water.

5. HMMMMM

I sure don't think so.

Yes, I was thinking of this as a way to get at parts of the river that are passed over. It is not my primary way of fishing, more like another trick in the bag.

I wouldn't be doing this anywhere where you can even swing step to begin with. That is the point.

I agree 100%, but these types of spots are deep and the waters will be cold. Steelhead move a lot when they are on riffles but not necessarily the pockets I am thinking of.

I have to admit, if we could all just swing step those lovely riffles and never have to worry about being the 20th rod through the run that day and all catch a steelhead, this probably wouldn't get much attention from me.

6. I think you are way over doing this J. It works fine with just a plain ole 15' type III or VI.

It isn't worth doing if you limit yourself to only the marginal water that is less desireable and have to skip all the primo spots because your gear is unsuitable to fish it.

7. Yeah I was just thinking of having another rig in the boat.

The comments have been helpful guys. Thank you.

8. double density compensated shooting heads fish the hangdown real nice, are nice to cast and cover water with, and you can fish equally well in close or far away.
    deeper faster runs (not ragers) would want an S2/S3 with a short leader and weighted fly,
    runs of 3-5 ft at walking speed you could fish an S1/S2 and hang it there as long as you like.

with those heads the line is like a laser from surface to tippet knot, less slack or droop than other types of heads.
    the hang and walk style, I did that a lot when SH because I had to. now since I'm DH I can cast over a lot more water, but still fish the dangle a lot.

It's a good strategic technique Jason, for all the reasons you mentioned. Laying the rod from side to side allows you to cover every inch of a huge swath of water, and there's less disturbance than what casting causes.
    hmmmm.....less ice in the guides too:thumb:...

9. you mean pinning?

10. I resorted to plunking with a spey rod to slow down my fly last year

11. Now THERE's an idea!!!! Get about 15-20' of Airflo's sinktip 20g/ft, short leader, and a floating fly. Find a traveling lane and just lay that line down below you.

Wanna change locations? Just lift with the rod and "walk" it to a new lie.

Voila - Plunking with a Fly Rod! ;)

12. Hi Guys,
    There are some lines with a floating tip built in, fast sink with floating tip, all are for trout fishing and a great way of fishing small flies just of the weed bed in the winter months, or you could use a full sunk line with a fly with Polystyrene eyes,, some used are called a boobies.:rofl:
    Works great in the lakes , in Norway alot of the Salmon fishing is done by wading above the rocks where salmon lie, and letting out line and jigging a big tube or waddington either side of the rocks, just where the water has cut around, and made likely lies for Salmon sitting in the slip stream of the rocks.
    Gordo.

13. Yes!!!!! This is exactly what the Newfie friend of mine described. He said it is the only ticket for a hookup a lot of the time.

What lines/setup would people typically use for this?

And to think, even those snootier European spey fishers are willing to do this. What does that make some of us around these parts? ;)

14. Jason

And to think, even those snootier European spey fishers are willing to do this. What does that make some of us around these parts? .

there is no such thing as a snootier European spey fisher, because there is no such thing as a Spey fisher in Europe.:rofl:
    Double-handed fly rod if you please.. or Salmon rod if you like.... now thats snooty.:)

Now what about dapping with the Double-hander ?
    Gordo.

15. Ah that is right. The funny thing is I think the word spey is so popular here because it conjures up snooty European images! I know when I go fishing without at least one tweed article on my person it just isn't the same! j/k :rofl:

You got me curious. What is it?

16. Hey Jason,
    Nothing wrong with a bit of tweed and if its the proper stuff its waterproof all day long,and you can tell on which beat of the river a Ghillie works by the tweed suit he wears, old Clan thing... history... that sort of thing.:rofl:

Dapping is like high stick fishing but you use blown braid so the only thing touching the water is the fly, like fishing a fly on a big parachute with the wind blowing the sail.
    Fished mainly on lakes and from a boat, (it works really good from a float tube or pontoon ) is is a way of dancing a big dry fly on any water surface, and when you see the fish leave the water to take the fly in mid air it is just the best or fun, there is other ways to fish it but big dries touching down and lifting off like a real fly on the water with nothing else touching the water, no fly line no leader.
    Just the best of fun in the summer time, and over the years the records show most of the big trout where taken by Dapping on most of the Lochs/lakes in Scotland.
    Get yourself some tweed, you knw you want to.. or better still get yourself a Kilt.:rofl:
    Gordon.

17. nope, not centerpinning, just fishing a fairly short downstream arc with a sinking shooting head that will hover in the strike zone on the hangdown. DH rods of course are great for this.
    Double density compensated heads have two sink rates, each of them density compensated, so when they're hanging downstream the head stays very straight from running line to leaderbutt, fishes really well and when cast, swings nice and slow with little droop. I'm just getting going on that this season, lots of fun.

I do my dapping with a short length of line out of the tip and a long leader, usually with a big stimulator or other wind resistant bug. When there's megastones or even Goldens in the air, or Oktober Kaddis, the technique can be deadly along brushy banks. The wind picks up the fly and lays it down, and it looks a lot like an egg-laying flight.

the Boobie still water thing works good with a type 1 fullsinker and a foam bodied caddis or muddler type floating fly, fished over shallower weedbeds in lakes. Takes patience, but does work here in PNW. The moving water deal sounds a lot like a corkie and yarn... but I do use techniques similar to those described when fishing bouldery water that isn't amenable to a swung fly. Like in Norway, a scando head setup is the way to go for this technique because you get under the surface currents with the sinking head, plus you can fish it in close or cast for distance equally well. Outstanding line control, which leads to fly control.
    My buddy whipped my ass last year with a scando setup, which is why I'm trying it out this winter. Maybe the 2:1 hookup ratio will be in my favor for a change!

18. Hi guys,
    here's John giving a bit detail on dapping,

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/jbedit0699.html ,

while he uses a dapping rod, if you don't have one the double-hander will do just fine, nothing touches the water except the fly, and can be fished at quite a distance from the boat , float tube, or pontoon, even works great on the small rivers, walk and wade.
    Dates back to 1800's .
    Gordon.

In norway with fishing up stream of the rocks and boulders, and fishing in the pockets of water, a lot of the guys just pay out line and dont really cast, more of a kinda jiggin thing, lots of times with a full floating line and a brass tube or waddington.
    Gordon.

19. THAT is REALLY interesting.

Well I hate to say it but the PNW equivalent to tweed would most likely be waterproof breathables like Gore-Tex. We wear that kind of stuff to bed sometimes. Anyway, I got loads of that and it matches the climate just about perfect except maybe in July.

If you get yourself a Gore-tex hat or jacket, go to a river that has just about zero salmon left, fish through a rain storm, and don't catch a thing, you may be able to fool yourself into thinking you are in the PNW, fishing an S River. Than if you go on this website and talk about how you need a "tug" more than anything you will be just about immigrated. :rofl:

Thanks for the information by the way. Sounds like there is a whole universe of European techniques to explore.

20. Hey Jason,
    Fished the rivers all around you if you are in Bellingham, even got plastered on a night out there :beer2: little mexican place i think.
    You have a real Jedi master Speycaster living right in Bellingham, and one of the best fly line designers in the world to boot.
    He even did a speycasting demo this year watched by the Duke, the Queens Hubby.
    Gordon.