Long Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by o mykiss, Nov 18, 2011.

1. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Interested in hearing from the long rodders what rods you like in 15' or above (whether currently in production or out of production). Have started thinking about adding one to my quiver. With what little research I've done so far, seems like a lot of the longer rods currently in production are 10 wt and above. I'm thinking that something in 8 (or maybe 9) wt. because 10 wt. seems like overkill for steelhead but is there a reason so many of the longer sticks are 10 wts (or higher)?

2. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

I love my Meiser 15 for 7/8/9. There is a bigger brother 16' for 7/8/9.

3. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

I have few long rods that I fish with regularly. A Scott LS2 1610, an LS2 1509, and then a T&T 1511. The LS2 1610 is my everyday go to rod. I fish it with an XLT 10 for floating line and then with a CND GPS 10/11 with tips. If I need to fish a skagit line because i don't have any backcasting room, I'll use the LS2 1509 with an Airflo NW skagit line...but I really hate managing all of that running line.

The T&T is its own monster...I really like that rod, I just don't fish it a lot because I like that LS2 1610 so much. But it's perfect for fishing the lower Hoh in the afternoon when the wind is blowing.

I've heard a lot good things about the Scott T2H rods but haven't casted them. The real problem with big rods these days is that hardly any shops carry them...they're almost special order...so it's hard to hold or cast one to see if you think you can manage it.

If you're anywhere near pugetropolis and want to test drive a long rod just PM me.

Good luck,
    Christian

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Candidly from someone whose been tossing line off of these for close to 50+ years (yes, I'm not exaggerating) unless your chasing Atlantic Salmon on some huge river your wasting time/energy. For our rivers (there are a few exceptions, and I do mean FEW) 14' is as long as you need to go in the real world. 10wt's, well fishing for King Salmon? Give me a space to take a large breath of air. A '9' is over-kill save for really big rivers (Skagit/bottom end of the Rogue come to mind).

Match up your gear for the water and fish you're chasing. "Over kill and 50 cents won't bring a thing to the party."

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

consider the lighter long rods, they're out there.
    how about a 15' 6/7/8?

6. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I really like fifteen foot rods and believe them to be ideal on more than just "big" water... I also fish a 10/11 as my go to winter rod on the Clearwater, and far from overkill, I find it to be the perfect tool. I talked about a few 15' eight weights that I know and love here: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?81645-What-15-8wt-Rod, so no need to discuss them again. In addition I really like the T&T 1509-3. It's a quick progressive action, though noticeably deeper loading than most other T&T's. The CND Solstice 16'1" is a wonderfuly crisp, deep loading, quick recovering rod for chucking some serious string. My go to winter rod is the CND Expert 15' 10/11. Similar in action to the Solstice, it's a bit slower recovering, and also pretty hefty by todays standards. However, after a minute or two on the water, I don't even notice. Absolutely effortless casting, and a superb rod for big flies, big fish and windy conditions. Bob Meiser also has a whole line up of fantastic fifteen foot rods in addition to the aforementioned Highlanders. Some amazing rods out there--AJ

7. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

Long rods can be addictive.
    As Fred said, most rivers today don't require long rods or long lines. But, if you happen to develop the taste there are places to go, and in fact you will seek out these rivers, these runs on the big rivers that like the long rod.
    My first spey rod was a T&T 1511, so for me now all rods seem light. :) The T&T 1509 was also a favorite for a few years, as well as a 15' Scott. For all around fishing joy I've come to use the Highlander 16' 6/7/8 when I can. I love this rod.
    As mentioned, lighter long rods are available and a joy to use. You can cast 100' to 120' all day long with almost no stripping and minimal effort. If you want to reach out further with some stripping these rods will do it easily. There's lots of long rod and long line choices these days. A trip to a Clave is worth the time if you are considering a long rod investment.
    Have fun, these rods are a adventure. :thumb:

8. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

Meiser MKS 15ft 8/9wt and a nextcast winter authority 55 in 9/10wt is a match made in heaven!

9. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. Idaho Steel, I noticed in the thread you linked to that you also fish the CND Solstice 15 footer. I have the 13'4" Solstice. Is the action on that 15 footer about the same or different? I think Snake River Outfitters may have a few of those 15 footers left in stock so that may be a potential option for me.

Fred, I'm thinking of this as an option to throw longer lines. Seems like you don't necessarily need to limit use of longer rods on big water. On medium sized runs, could use them to toss longer lines at steeper angles. I have everything from 11' switches to 14 footers right now. Fished the 7 wt. switch a fair amount this summer/fall and frankly, while it has its place, I detest all the line stripping involved with the lines I use on that rod. Fished the Wenatchee a week ago and got the Sage 9140 out with a Delta and it was a joy to cast with a lot less stripping involved.

10. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

I like my 15 ft Meiser (7-9 wt). I am not an exceptional caster, but I bet the matching of the rod and line is more important for casting a long line than the rod length.

I've find myself fishing my 12 ft rod more and more because I like the feel of the fight on the shorter rod. I don't feel limited in casting or mending. I use it sometimes in the winter but often go to the 15 footer with a skagit line (and I don't like all the stripping too). What I like about my Meisers is that the grain window is big and I can cast flies big and small, floating lines and sink tips. My buddy has a variety of rods and some require a very specific touch to toss a particular line setup. I guess you can say my Meisers have doofus casting compensation capacity.

Joe

11. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

To my recollection, the 13' 4" and the 15' 2" Solstice are pretty much identical. I think it'd be an easy transition for you into a fabulous stick.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your reasoning. The whole point of a longer rod after all, is to lift a longer line. If you are trying to hit that seam at 90 feet, it is immaterial whether you shoot 40 feet of running line behind a compact scandi, or simply lift/pivot/punch it with a Delta Long... Contemporary thinking seems to assume that shooting line is somehow mandatory. I don't know how many times people have commented that my setup was over kill, and yet here we were fishing at the same distances. I personally dislike frigging around with a bunch of running line, so even on a tiny river like the Grand Ronde I fish a 65 foot head a fair amount. And the best tool to do that is a fifteen foot rod. It's all good. Run what ya brung.

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

"My first spey rod was a T&T 1511, so for me now all rods seem light."

TOO FUNNY BY HALF! Cast this and it's 'little brother' several years back. I was exhausted within 30 minutes. Well, I was 65 at the time. Instantly brought me back to my youth and Green-hearts. But to be honest, the 'knot' between line/backing was just off the reel at the time. A Carron line so it's closer to 150' than the standard 120' of most. A total Cannon.

13. speyforsteel

speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

Long to me is 16 and over-I also don't like to fish a line over 900 grains.
    My Fishin line for my 17 is 70 ft and 790 grains-the rod is a 9/10
    The scott 16 ls2 is a 9/10 in my book and is beautiful with the same line.
    A line In that range (mine is a NextCast fall fav70) is good at distance and in wind without beating you
    up through out the day.
    For a lil 15 a 8/9 range is about perfect for fishing.

14. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

speyforsteel,
    I agree.
    Long heavy lines are not pleasurable to fish all day for me. My 16'er loves 730-740 grs. and so do I. I might go a bit heavier when I'm throwing tips.

15. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Sage Z-Axis 1016. good feel,light in hands and sensitive enough to take a huge window of lines.
    with 540 grain scandi head. great feel and shoot lines with good control. few hours practice without fatigue. for long line set up 8/9 CND GPS, or Carron 9/10. a lovely rod.

16. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

During two weeks on the Clearwater River recently, my 15' 7/8/9 Meiser Highlander was everything I'd hoped it would be. Easy repeat casts in the 95-100 foot range, even though I'm not a rip snortin' distance caster any more. Covering near end water around 50 feet out, the rod cast itself, using either an XLT 7/8 or an Airflo Traditional 8/9 longbelly.

For winter on the Skagit River, my favorite rod is my CND Salmo Salar 15 1/2 feet 9/10/11, with an Orvis WF10 long belly, cut and looped for sinking tips. Yes, I cast standard flies to 2/0 to distance. (Lead eyed creaturezoids are reserved for shorter rods and skagit lines.) This rod is noticeably easier to manage than my 16-foot Alltmor.

17. FT

FT Active Member

I love fishing with long-belly lines (belly lengths of 80'-100') on long rods of 15'-18'. I have and fish with rods that best toss 700 gr long-bellies (like the GrandSpey 7/8, SA XLT 8, etc) that are rated as 7-9 wts, rods that best toss 800 gr long-bellies, rods that best toss 900 gr long-bellies, and one 18' beastie that works best with a 1050-1100 gr long-belly. I also have 13' rods that work best with mid-belly lines of 500 grs, and 570 grs.

My 15'-18' rods are in no particular order from Loomis, Meiser, and T&T.

The biggest reason to use a long rod rated for a 9/10 or 10/11 long-belly is to match the rod with the larger flies used in winter fishing. It takes a long-belly line with sufficient mass and tip diameter to properly cast and turn over 1/0 and 2/0 flies; hence the big line weights. If you are not going to fish unweighted flies larger than #2, you can easily do so with an 8/9 long-belly line (800 gr) on an 8/9 15'-17' rod.

18. Terry Bare

Terry Bare Member

Hey guys I think there is something missing in this point. Talking about long rod or what ever you cast how do you like the way it fishes. In other words are you catching fish.. the casting is cool and all that but it seems like people have forgotten what this is all about. Are people just getting to wrapped up in the fact that the casting is cool.. I know I like the fact that my body doesnt hurt at the end of a day of fishing. Guys fish where ever you do it and feel good about the fact that you are presenting your fly to some fish that just needs to eat it.. enjoy this sport ..

19. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Its all about whatever you want it to be about.:)

20. speyforsteel

speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

Just as you could say"you can do things with a 13' you can't with a 17' "
    I say you can do things with a 17' you can't with a 13'
    The rivers I normaly fish, a long rod in capable hands is very useful.
    I can sleep in and still get virgin water.
    I also like the fish fighting ability some long have.