Long Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by o mykiss, Nov 18, 2011.

1. inland Active Member

Ratings: +50 / 0
    Terry,

I am not sure what you are trying to say. Guys fishing long rods are more concerned about casting than fishing? From my perspective it couldn't be further from the truth. I am an angler first and a caster second. Like most I have to enjoy the casting to enjoy the fishing. There is nothing I find more enjoyable then casting 15'+ rods with mid to long head lines. But that is me. I don't find them the least bit taxing for a day. Or a month. Including throwing lines in excess of 1100 grains. But I don't try to cast to the moon keeping it under 40 yards.

Certainly there are many situations and conditions where these longer rods are overkill. Or guys just don't like them. Plenty of choices that we can all use to make our day more fun.
  2. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    For most my fishing and the rods I have owned, 12'6" is the biggest I have had. I have been thinking of a 14' 9wt but don't know how much I would fish it. But it would be nice to have it or one bigger. Just in case I hit one of the bigger rivers.
  3. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    You can fish big water with a short rod, but fishing small water with a big rod is a pain.
    I have DH rods from 9' to 15' and they all have their application.

The doggie season is coming, I'm getting out the 9140 brownie and the 10/11 Stinger soon. good times.
  4. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +148 / 0
  5. SSPey Member

Oregon
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I've owned a bunch of 15's and cast many more. For years now I've been happy fishing a Loomis 15' 8/9 and Scott LS2 1610. Both of these rods will take a good bend on a typical fish, but remember that the fight is in the fish - not in the rod. If a fish wants to peel line into the backing or do cartwheels, it'll do that regardless of the rod on the other end.

I used to fish long rods a lot more than I currently do. They are great fun, but offer little practical advantage on most of my local waters, so I now reserve them for two situations: (1) fishing over 100' consistently on broad summer flows, and (2) when I find myself on a broad winter river that fishes well with unweighted flies and a Type III tip ... on that tips point, I'd rather strip less and do single speys than skagit cast all day, and some of the broader WA rivers let me do that (most of my local winter rivers in Oregon are too small, slotty deep places that fish best with T-tips and weighted flies).

Both the Loomis and Scott mentioned above are progressive actions with fairly light but capable tip sections. They won't win distance contests, but they fish well. They flex deeper than the T&Ts (I used to own the 1509), but not as deep flexing into the butt as the CND Solstice or Meiser Highlanders or Burkheimer 9149. All great rods depending on your preference.

In a budget rod, I'm really impressed with the TFO 15' 8/9 based on the Meiser taper.
  6. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I have been fishing a Vision Cult 9147 over the last few months and love this rod. It obviously is not the 15' plus rod you are looking for, but they will soon have a 10152 out soon that could work for you. I fished both a Guideline MMD(60') and a CND GPS(75') on it and both work great. I was even able to put polyleaders on the MMD without any delay in turnover also. Seriously a great rod.
  7. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    One more opinion... I think Mike has a very good point about the modern long rod... it's amazing how the weight and rod sensitivities changes in those modern long rods...

I have a old Scott G 1610 for several years. it is a beast!, and it only likes heavy lines... heavy feel in hands too. In general, this Scott G is slow recovery and dull in feel...I only use it when I felt like "do something different" than my 13 footers. But recently, I bought a Sage Z-Axis 1016. same 16 footer, but has a tremendous feels in hand, you feel the rod load much much better thus it is so easy to time this rod... I experimentally run some lighter lines in this rods and it just keep taking it with good control...either long line or short shooting head. I am definitely amazed by this rod. Noted, I am relative new to this long line game. But I am truly enjoy fishing it... I credit this to the modern graphite technology. Last week, I brought the rod to a gathering event, both old timers are also amazed by how light and responsive this rod it. no one believe this is a 16 footer. I definitely won't hesitate to recommend those new graphites... Mark
  8. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Terry,

I love the way my long rods, including my 18'er fish. And yes, I catch my share of fish on all of them. And as my friend Inland mentioned, just because I'm using a long rod, it doesn't mean I'm casting over 100' all day long. I, like very other long rod fisher I know, usually are casting 75-90' with them when fishing; however, I don't have to strip any line to fish those distances with the long rod and a long-belly line. I simply make a single-spey, double-spey, or snake-roll and toss the line back out to up to 90'-100' or less and I'm fishing again. No fuss, no muss and my fly is back fishing again without any time taken for stripping in line. And because I'm not stripping line, I'm actually exerting less energy in a day's fishing with the long rods and long-belly lines.

I also like my 13' rods and on the smaller rivers (not Samish River small, which is really a creek), like SF Nooksack small, because they better fit the river. However, even with my 13'ers I'm fishing mid-belly (65' belly) lines, which on a 13' rod are really long-belly lines because they fit the 4.5-5x longer than the rod formula many have hit on for long-belly lines. And just like with my 15'-18' rods and long-belly lines, the 13'ers with a mid-belly allow me to simply form a "D" Loop and toss the fly back out to fishing distance without stripping any line at all.
  9. circlespey Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    This is a great thread. I love to see all these people throwing longer rods, it makes me want to bring more of mine out of mothballs. My first rod was a 15 foot Scott ARC and I used that rod exclusively for 3-4 years. Back then I fished windcutters and I still prefer those on the 15 foot rods. The only one I ever bring out these days is a Scott LS2 15 foot for 9 wt, which I haven't thrown in almost two years but has been butter with a windcutter 9-10-11 and heavy stuff.

I fished that 15 foot rod even on small rivers or places with no backcast. Those rods are powerful enough to overcome a lot of different challenges.

I remember when a windcutter line was "way too short" and now somehow in these skagit days people might even view it as a long belly. I have tried a range of long belly lines (delta long, rio grand, etc.) but my stroke just doesn't suit that, and I always end up back on the windcutter.
  10. Terry Bare Member

Independence, Oregon
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Had some good beer sorry.. just think that if it works for you fish it..
  11. TimDog New Member

British Columbia
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    My bar none favorite so far is 15ft 8/9 MKS. Take a Carron 9/10 75 hack some line of the back of the head till it feels bout right and let'r rip.
    Tim
  12. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    There are specific advantages to longer rods and heavier line ratings add to those advantages. A 10/11 15' or 11/12 17' rod will throw a larger or heavier fly or sink tip...furthur, if needed. The length of the rod is more useful for mending and you won't notice "less of a fight" from the fish. Lighter is never better in my book, land them quickly and release them quickly. There's so little difference in the experience that I'll always go for the longer rod and heavier line for the exact same reason. What's the advantage of a 7/8 or 8/9 15 footer? Don't see any but do see disadvantages. Fished a sage 8150 for years because it was the best speycaster I had, but the Daiwa AWF 9/11 with throw alot more weight and even mend more authoritively. I don't buy the light line long rod argument. The difference in "weight in hand" is so minimal that it doesn't come into play.
  13. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    What line do you use to throw a heavier fly and sink tip further with a 15' 9/11 rod? I have a 15' for #10 but dont know what to do with it.
  14. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    The CND GPS is a pretty nice line provided you can still find one. The old Bill Drury "impact spey" from Guidline was a friggin' fantastic line. Gone now as well...I have also chopped a Rio mid-spey and looped it. It worked just ducky, as would a similar setup with a Delta Long. Now that I think about it, the Delta Long is going bye bye too, so to obtain any of those lines you'll have to look on the secondary market unless some shop has one squirreled away somewhere. What are people thinking anyways? Can't comment on any other lines with tips.
  15. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    Standard Delta is good with tips, delta long or Wulff TT for smaller stuff (not sure if the Triangle Taper, TT, is still available, I bought a bunch years ago). There's a ton of lines out there that might be better but I've not tried them.
  16. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +121 / 0
    I can't think of a single American long belly spey line that's still in production. Perhaps there are still a few made in England. All we can do is horde the ones we have, scout dusty fly shop back rooms, and learn to splice them. I have hopes that in a decade or three, long bellies will be rediscovered and reintroduced as "the latest improvement."
  17. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +124 / 0
    "Perhaps there are still a few made in England." As mentioned above the Carron Lines; properly matched to a 'heavy weight' (10/11's) the'rey out like a cannon ball. They even make a 'competition line' that's almost 200 feet long. It has to be, their comp team (constant winners) need one that long!
  18. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Carron makes 8/9 lines in 55ft and 65ft, 9/10 in 55, 65, 75ft, 10/11 in 55, 65, 75, 85, 95ft and 11/12 in 65,75,85,95, and 105ft(the comp line)
  19. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +124 / 0
    Many thanks for the complete listing of the Carron lines. Most of my fishing is done with Scandi type heads (RIO's AFS or custom cuts by Steve Godshall here in Medford). But for pure long line casting the Carron designs are the best I've ever used. Initially they were darned 'pricie' to say the least, but now highly (price wise) competitive with any US (and where-ever) produced full on floaters.

If you get the chance (jump at it!) to line your rod with one of these Puppies you'll be pulling out your cheque book/credit card in minutes.
  20. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Fred, there is a `next generation` of Carron lines in the 55-85ft lengths that are more than just casting lines for sure, the 55`s and 65`s are pure fishing lines.