Long Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by o mykiss, Nov 18, 2011.

1. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Fred, there is a `next generation` of Carron lines in the 55-85ft lengths that are more than just casting lines for sure, the 55`s and 65`s are pure fishing lines.
  2. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Very interesting comment; not heard of that before. Any idea how these lines 'differ' from the standard designs.
    Fred
  3. Joe Smolt Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    The feel of the fight is important to me in selecting a rod. My feeling is that longer rods give a duller fight, in the same way that the fight on a single hand rod is very very different than with a two-hander. In the same sense, it is why I find party boat fishing for salmon with a big old ulgy stick lacking. Subjective...yes, but it is something worth considering in this discussion. To me it is a question of rod length and wt of line.

Joe
  4. TimDog New Member

British Columbia
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    My shop just recently started selling Carron lines, and after a conversation with Bruce, he let me know that Carron lines are quite lovely w/tips and also with larger flies.
    Bruce advised me to try putting 8-10ft of T-8 or T-10 directly onto the end of line without cutting the line back at all. It worked fabulously, the Carron front taper is gorilla powerful , in the right hands it will turn over a significant sink tip and largish fly. Truely a "do-all" line.
    Thanks for the great advice Bruce. My customers also appreciate it as well. Will I see you at our spey clave this year??? I hear Travis is comming, I am looking forward to that!
    Tim
  5. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    MORE INFO! MORE INFO!! My Carron's are years, and I do mean years, old. Time to update; send me a web link (I assume you have one) to 'pick and choose.'

Fred
  6. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
  7. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    sweeet... I never saw the trout lines before, assume they work on small spey rods?
    got to put them in my Christmas wish list...
    Mark
  8. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    Poppy has the full line of Carron lines.
  9. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
  10. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Thanks Bruce; just wish (in two hander lines) did something lighter than an 8/9. Would be all over a 6/7.
    Fred
  11. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    i would think a 4/5/6 in a rod that long would be fairly slow, but according to the text it sports a "very quick stroke"

have you cast it?
  12. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Have not, and a rod that long for it's line weight (to be honest) has no interest to me. Do have Bob's 3/4/5 at 12' 6'' and it is joy to cast and fish. BUT it takes a very gentle hand to cast. A very quick stroke is exactly what that rod won't work with.

Fred
  13. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Fred, dont get caught up in the Grain wght game, these lines are all about taper. What rod in particular are you looking for a line for? I might have a demo line that would match it.
  14. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Many thanks Bruce, but I've gotten over the 'grain weight' game. When a given rod can have a 'grain weight range' that spans two or three hundred ... I've got to wonder? As in what is the real 'number' that should be put on this/that rod. And this comment of yours should be engraved in Gold: ".... these lines are all about taper."

You nailed it in six words. A couple of years back I started buying 'custom cuts' by Steve Godshall (Medford, Or) as he's dialed in almost every two hander made, it's not a six it's a 6.8, 7 just below an 8, yada-yada. Add to that he knows your casting style (My Bad)
    ... 1 + 1 = 4 when he custom cuts a line for you. New rods I buy are usually Meiser's or from Gary Anderson so he knows their rods 'inside and out.' Last one was a Meiser 3/4/5 with a grain range of 250 to 400 ... and that's a hell of a range on a light rod.

Steve asked me 'how and as what rod weight do you want to cast the rod?' 'As a three.' New line was 30 grains over the very bottom of the range.

Why? Because he knows my casting style .... light up into the lift until the forward cast and I tend to hammer the forward cast(s). 'Noooo, nooo, nooo my friend; gentle, gentle, gentle.' Light and 'gentle' and I can pump out 70 - 90 foot casts in a blink of an eye. Only "Problem" is at that range you can't see the damned fly so have to stick to 'wakers' for surface trout fishing. Weren't for the looking at the end of the line, and knowing how long the furled leader was, you'd have zero guess where your fly was at the moment.

A total treat on big trout rivers like the Bitterroot.

BUT BACK TO YOUR KIND OFFER! Do you do custom cuts?

Fred
  15. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Fred, I do not do custom cuts, my offer is the stock next generation Carron lines for you to try.
  16. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Whoaha Big Fella! E mail me the lighest lines you have in stock. Candidly rare to use a 9wt rod, even in the winter, but do need new 'lighter lines' for fishing. If I can use a full floater, "way to go."

fredaevans@gmail.com
  17. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Fred I have used the 8/9 55 and 65 ft lines on 6 and 7 wght speys. What rod would it be for?
  18. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Bruce, What do you recommend for a 15' TFO DC 8/9? Are they strictly for dry line presentations or polyleaders?
  19. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Either a 7139-3 or a 8139-3 Burkie. Have one other rod that may be a 'strong candidate.'
    Fred
  20. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Bruce can answer better than I, but I use my present (and darned old) Carron's as a straight dry line with a long'ish leader and weighted fly. Will be giving one of them a 'new look' this winter (lower water place/conditions) with a sinking furled leader. That should be an interesting combo with a weighted fly on the business end.