Longer rods more tiring?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Verne, Aug 13, 2006.

1. inland Active Member

Ratings: +50 / 0
    Kerry,

Hold that 6 oz can to your side but pressed against your hip. Same with the 14 oz can. No wonder 24 oz. beer cans aren't nearly as popular as 12 oz. We modern humans would wear ourselves out with that extra 12 oz. just from lifting to drink.

I do fish one all day, sun up to sun down. For up to 9 days straight. Casting to around 100' without having to strip more than a two pulls of line. With a heavy Perfect or one of my personal makes. Reel plus backing goes around a pound before flyline. No pain. No fatigue. Just satisfaction.

Physically the rods are heavier...but to say it wears you out by the end of the day? Man better hit the gym.

William
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    Ok William you can take off your cape and tights now. I didn’t mean to infer that casting a long rod all day would in anyway cause someone of your obvious physical superiority any appearance of corporeal effort. For me, a mere mortal, whose casting skills and physical conditioning aren’t up to the undertaking of casting a two handed rod I will relegate myself to fishing for cutthroat with a 5 weight single hander.
  3. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Jeez Kerry - now I've gotta get rid of that visual.
    :clown:
  4. inland Active Member

Kerry,

Fishing big boy tackle does take more effort. Kinda my point, however, the extra effort for a day is negligable. If you are getting beat up fishing anything over 13' you might want to chase down some pink marabou slippers and a glass of warm milk.

William
  5. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    :eek: Blasphemy!!
  6. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +124 / 0
    William, having had the opportunity to just SEE "one of my personal makes" no wonder you don't get tired. You're in "wonder land." All kidding aside fellows, if you haven't seen the reels that William turns out you have a TREAT in store.
  7. tweedside New Member

St.Boswells, scotland
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Have a look at this Item number: 200026802777 on eBay!! It will tell you some more about Alexander Grant who used a similar rod.....but 20' long if my memory serves me well: he also held the British accepted record of some 65 or so yards of lift and cast...NO shooting. Rods then had "drop" rings/guides. Those rods weighed in at about 30ozs or more. The silk line was a continuos taper from front to back, and the Rio GrandSpey is an adaptation of that concept.
    Brian
    The post recommending HEAVY reels is right on the money. Old Perfects, big Bogdans etc rule with all Spey rods.
  8. speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

Eastern Washington
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I've fished every day since last friday with my 16 foot Scott and 1 pound Mt.Rainer reel and feel great.
    If you are sore or tired from casting your technique is flawed ,simple as that.
  9. inland Active Member

Speyforsteel,

Nah, can't be the case. You too must have super man tights. Did you borrow mine? That's the only way. No other possible explanations. ;)

William
  10. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    your fishing rod is in fact a lever. the longer the lever, the more force that can be applied. in the case of long spey rods, that force is directed at why'oh'u. splitting hairs is great for conversation but the bottom line is simply the longer the rod the more force that is being applied to you and therefore the more quickly you will tire during a daylong fishing adventure comprised of lots of casting.

i have move from 15-16' rods down to 11.5-12' rods and can feel the difference at days end. distance?? i like to cast to where the steel is most likely to be hidin'. hint, that is not the other side of the river.
  11. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I doubt he borrowed yours inland. The ass is way to large.
  12. inland Active Member

Kerry,

Or maybe he has figured out the mechanics of casting. Somehow I doubt superman tights have anything to do with it. Just a desire to learn instead of excuses.

William
  13. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ya know Bill, can I call you Bill, I have been casting 2 handed rods for about 15 years now. I have been constructing my own lines for almost the same amount of time, working along side with some of the best in the world. I have witnessed the 2 handed revolution in the Northwest from almost the beginning. And now you come along telling me I need to learn how to cast or my mechanics are all wrong. Screw you Bill, can I call you Bill. I doubt you are any more of an acheived caster then myself and I doubt you have any more knowledge of casting then I do. You can take your I know everything better then you attitude and stuff it up where your tights are.
  14. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    Kerry,
    I don't think that you made that clear enough. Bill may not understand what your trying to say.
    I just started with the 2 handers. I am by no means a graceful caster, but casting a 9ft 9wt all day really hurts my chronically injured shoulder. I am building a smaller spey presently to reduce fatique.
    With all the other things going on in my life, from family to work to home improvement I don't have tim to practice my casting. I do have time to buy a new rod. If it makes my limited time on the water more enjoyable then that is what I'm hoping for.
    Kerry, if you see a guy casting a blue rod poorly on the Skagit this winter/spring feel free to come give me casting pointers. I'm sure you are better at than I am.
    Sox ruined my fall,
    cds