looking around spokane

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

I'm trying to find some good spots around spokane to go. I like to fish more streams and beaver ponds than lakes. I know about crab creek and rock ford but are there any other one's out there? I mean we have so many lakes I would think it would be easy to find creeks but I haven't had any luck. So I am asking for any help one can give.

2. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

beside the Spokane River, just across the border in Idaho are the NF CdA, St Joe, and a bit farther, Kelly Creek-all awesome! Rick

3. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

There really aren't a great many creeks to fish around Spokane, but there's the Spokane River, which has a nice Redband Trout fishery. Eastern Washington is lake country, mostly.

4. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

There are enough rivers in north Idaho to keep you busy for a long time. Try the Moiye River. Check out the larger creeks. Some of them have pretty large fish.

Just remember fishing streams is just like working and not getting paid for it!!!

A float tube and a cigar!!

5. Eric Denny

Thanks guys I nfcda is where I normal go. I haven't been to kelly creek yet, I have heard its really good. I was just looking for a little more in my own back yard. Has anyone tried sullivan creek?

6. Eric Denny

@vladimir where is moiye river at? I haven't even heard of it before?

7. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

East of Bonner's Ferry on the Montana line. It was once a candidate river for Wild & Scenic River status. Worth exploring.

If you want to fish rivers, buy a Idaho license.

8. Eric Denny

I had planed on it already as I go over there to the n.f. often so I will give that one a try also thanks.

9. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

It's a pretty lousy time of year for moving water aficionados in Spokane. There aren't many options with all the rivers booming and most creeks don't open until 6/1 (check the regs, I could be wrong). Time to explore.

10. Eric Denny

yeah I think I am just going to hit up idaho.lol or go to crab creek

11. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

The seasons work really well for me. There's enough time between trout and skiing to get other stuff done.

aplTyler likes this.
  12. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

Head into Silverbow Fly Shop in Spokane and get the scoop on options. They are definitely out there come June 1st... Until then, Crab Creek and Rocky Ford are your best bets. Just check yourself for ticks!

Once Summer comes along and it reopens, check out the Spokane River. Big water, yes, but early in the year the fish are very accessible and great fun on a nymph rig or streamer setup.

Kimbo from the boards here and Spokane Falls TU put together this great video that discusses the Spokane. Check it out!

Other good small water within 2.5 hours... the St. Regis River and the Thompson River in Montana. Fun water for sure. Second the Moyie just from second hand knowledge. Have fun, I truly miss the fishing out there... Instead I'm chasing ghosts (aka Steelhead) and sitting in a boat catching Springers (boring but delicious).

Krusty, Codioos and flyfishingeric1 like this.
  13. Eric Denny

Thanks aplTyler i have been to silverbow a few times and I fish the spokane all the time. And plan on going to the st.regis this summer and where is the thompson and the moyie? And thanks for the video but I seen it on the silverbow facebook page.lol But it was a great video!!! and I hope some other people see it on here who havent.

14. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Sean or Bo at Silverbow are great to talk with and a wealth of knowledge. There are a few cool spring creeks up north near Chewelah that have brookies in them or the litle Spokane, NFCDA or tribs into the NFCDA, Fish creek, Rock creek just to name a few. Just check the regs and remember the Spokane doesnt open until June 1st (I always get impatient this time of year for the Spookey to open).

That video was awesome, I remember Sean telling me about it, but I spaced looking it up. Thanks for posting it, and that gives me hope for the season to come on the 'Kan.

I may hit the NFCDA this weekend if you wanna fish with.

15. Eric Denny

And to tell the truth I have never fished the little spokane is it any good and is it like the spokane you need to nymph it?

16. Eric Denny

Thanks for everyone's help you guys have given me a few spots I didn't know about and will have to check out.

17. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

The difficulty with the Little Spokane is access....a great many homes built right next to the water's edge....and it's my understanding that in in some stretches the landowners actually have property rights that extend over river bottom....

18. Eric Denny

yeah Krusty I have heard that too but I have also heard that you can put in a few spots like by the hatchery and take out by panted rock or a little farther down which is a 3hr float, and that its posted so I am guessing that its fish able. I don't know for sure but will find out this fishing season. My question is there anything worth catching in there. I know it leads to the big right before entering long lake but I don't know if there are very many trout in it???

19. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I've floated that section quite a few times....the biggest issue is that it's non-stop people floating through...and the regs prohibit getting out of the craft and kicking up sediment. Gotta be fish in there...nice holes....they must feed mostly at night...it's so damn popular. Maybe floating very early in the morning from the 'hatchery' access at Saint George's school (take out upstream from confluence of Little Spokane and the Spokane). I've considered clipping onto the surrounding brush...I think an anchor could do quite a bit of damage...lots of silty bottom between rocky areas.

20. Eric Denny

Idk all of that like said i never fished it, well i did once and pine something park.lol but that was it. And i am thinking if i hit it early like june first when it opens before everyone starts floating i might be good?? And then again in later September. I dont know i have a two man pontoon if you want to give it a run?