looking at picking up a spey rod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by 5 weight, Dec 11, 2003.

1. 5 weight

5 weight New Member

any recommendations on what type of kit to get.looking for something i could use for both salmon and steelhead all year around:thumb :7

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Go down about 10 spots and read that other thread on spey rods. Lots of info there.

Jim:thumb

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I'm only posting this suggestion, because I'm such a sucker for TFO. Try this link: <http://www.burfish.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BSC&Product_Code=4128&Category_Code=TFFR>

To be honest, I have no idea who TFO's two-handed rods perform, but, considering how good their other rods are, it might surprisingly good. And it would be hard to beat the price.

5. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

There's a wonderful website that will not only answer any possible question, but will invite you into one of the most helpful, informative websites of all: the Fly Fishing Forum (www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk). Go down to the Spey Clave, and in that, Rods. But first, toggle to the Spey Pages for clear, succinct advice about rods, and all other aspects of spey fishing.
    In the meanwhile, a 14-foot rod for nine-weight SPEY lines is the universal, all-around spey rod size. If you're fishing really big rivers and/or big chinooks, you could use a bigger rod; for smallish streams, a lighter one. (For streams under fifty feet wide, you can stay with single-hand rods.)
    Be aware: spey tackle is not just an expansion of fly fishing; it's a different plane of existance.