Looking for 5/8" oarlock sockets...any help?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Old406Kid, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I'd like to occasionally use my drift boat oars on my jon boat. The oarlocks have a 5/8" shank but
    everything I've found so far is for a 1/2" shank and some are pretty cheesy at best. I would also like
    to use a nylon or delrin insert in the socket for wear and noise.
    The top of the gunnel is 2 1/2" wide and has a slotted track on the inside. I plan on mounting 1/4"
    aluminum plate to the track and mounting the sockets to the inside. Due to the gunnel width, I need to raise the oarlocks to get a decent oar angle.
    I'm starting to think about just using a block of UMHW drilled for the 5/8 shaft.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
  2. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +197 / 2
    I did what you suggested for my pram by drilling a 5/8 inch hole in a piece of UMHW and it worked great.

For our boats, we make all the oarlock sockets a standard 5/8 inch and if someone wants to use a 1/2 inch socket, we simply put a nylon bushing in...I have not heard any complaints about noise or wear.
  3. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    BDD,
    Thanks for the reply. The company I am getting the aluminum from also carries UMHW so I should be able to come up with
    something workable. I'm thinking maybe I should plate the other side of the block as well to prevent possible shear/splitting at
    the hole. I was playing around with a Carlisle oar yesterday and was kind of surprised at the hang weight if you let it go.
    The older Sawyers I have are counterbalanced so it wouldn't be as much of an issue.
    I checked out your site. Some nice stuff with well thought out design.