FS Looking for 6wt

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by yaffe123, Jun 4, 2012.

1. yaffe123 New Member

New York, NY
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi Folks,

Looking to replace my recently busted custom Sage XP, my go to streamer rod. Would love to keep it under $300 (plus shipping), if anyone has something they are looking to unload.

A 4 piece rod preferred. You can email me at yaffe123@mindspring.com

Tx,
    Adam
  2. ramset Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    tough to replace the almighty XP. Best rod ever made!
  3. tedshuck Member

Centennial, CO
    Why not repair it? Sage is really good about having replacement sections for older rods.

Ted
  4. 6scotsman0 New Member

Buford, Georgia
    Got a Sage 9' 6wt. Vt2. Used only a couple of times and in great shape. $225 (including shipping)
    JD
    • Had an issue with a classifieds transaction Had an issue with a classifieds transaction x 1
    • List
  5. rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Sage is great at replacing broken sections... i had a 9'5wt Launch that Sage replaced the tip section for me. I am sure that they would gladly fix your XP. The one time i casted one of those i was impressed!
  6. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    Bummer about breaking an old "go to" rod. If the repair option through Sage doesn't work out, start searching the internet. I saw several listed in the past couple months while I was looking for a saltwater 6 wt myself and nearly pulled the trigger on one before finding a great deal on St. Croix legend Elite ESW906-4 (which, by the way, I would highly recommend).
  7. yaffe123 New Member

New York, NY
    It was a custom built rod. I'm assuming Sage would only supply a blank, right? Unfortunately, I know nothing about rod building.
  8. taylor3633 Member

Big Sky, MT
    Yaffe, I'm not sure how Sage works but when I had a loose ferrule connection on my custom Winston WT Winston did the work as though it were a factory rod. Considering Sage's reputation for high level customer service I am guessing they would do the same.
  9. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Sage replaces the broken sections, if the blank is under warranty. Been there, done that.
  10. tedshuck Member

Centennial, CO
    It's a lot easier than you would think. Plenty of information and tutorials on the web. Check out www.rodbuildingforum.com for online tutorials. If you still don't want to try it yourself, I am sure that you could find a builder in your area on this website who would build it for you for much less than the cost of a new/used rod of equal quality.

Ted
  11. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    Sage is pretty liberal with their repairs; great company. I broke a tip a few years ago and told them it was my fault and they still replaced it under warranty. I sent another rod off to them today and expect I will get it fixed under warranty. Doesn't hurt to just call them.
  12. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
  13. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Exactly. That's what I've done on a couple of my custom rods when a blank has broken. The last time I had a tip re-built was done by the folks up in Lake Stevens (forget the business name at the moment) who have forever been in the custom rod business. The price and the work were both reasonable.
  14. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    With Sage at least, even if the rod is not under warranty, they do repairs very reasonably.
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Email inbound.
  16. nailbender Active Member

Ratings: +33 / 0
    The guy Denny is talking about is Greg's custom rods 425-335-1391.
  17. yaffe123 New Member

New York, NY
    Thanks for all the input/offer, folks. I found another XP to replace. But I'm still going to try to fix up the busted one as per people's suggestion. Doesn't sound too hard if I can find the time...