looking for a 4 weight affordable creek rod

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cutthroat kid, Feb 23, 2013.

1. cutthroat kid cut throat kid

Gigharbor,WA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    reddington rods. I am looking to get a 4 weight fly rod for under 150 $

does any one have any preferences and or have they fished,
    redington predator,
    redington cross water
    or reddington pursuit rods ?

and what is the difference between them other than price and I assume warranty for the more expensive lines ?

even with the redington cross water that I see advertise everywhere as just for beginners, is it still halfway decent rod that will last me for awhile ?
  2. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Your going to get a lot of opinion's, there like asshole's everyone has one. I'm going to the CT, classic trout.
  3. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +787 / 1
    +1 on the CT. I've steered several friends to them who had asked me to build them rods. For the price Cabela's recently had them on for sale, I could not buy the components and give away my time and come close. If you can find one under a $100, jump on it.

Another option you might wan to consider is the R.L. Winston Passport. It's one of their overseas rods, but very nice for the $$.
  4. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    Depends on how you define "creek". To me that's a small stream with 99% of casts 30' or shorter. For that range, I choose fiberglass. And in fiberglass, it's hard to beat Cabelas new range of glass rods, including a 7'6" 4wt that's hard to beat at $125: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Fishing-Rods|/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105573780/Cabelas-CGT-Fiberglass-Fly-Rods/1409646.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/fishing-fly-fishing-fly-fishing-rods/_/N-1102568+4294735126/Ne-4294735126/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105573780?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU&WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104793480;cat104721480;cat105573780

For a little bigger water, an 8'0"-8'6" 4wt CT is indeed tough to beat at around $100 on sale.
    Matthew LeBret and Kent Lufkin like this.
  5. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +188 / 0
    I'd second the Passport. I have a 4wt and like it. Another nice 4wt is the TFO Finesse, which is medium action and I think a great rod for the price.
  6. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Several years back I won a TFO 7'6" 3wt at a club raffle... I love 3wts, but had never had a short rod... two years ago on Kelly Ck, I decided I would try it for half a day to decide whether to keep it or send it on... What a surprise... it is now often my got rod for small streams...

I love the TFO series...!
  7. Pete Bridge Member

Lake Tapps, Wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
  8. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +447 / 1
  9. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +346 / 5
  10. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +505 / 0
    If you want a 4wt, and want it to do the things a 4wt is intended for, in your price range I would go with the CT. If you want something that is less fun but able to do a little bit more than I'd go with one of the others.
  11. scottybs Active Member

Bellingham, WA and IGH, MN
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    Redington or TFO, Redington I would side would be a more cosmetically appealing product. A pro for TFO is the QUICK turnaround service! The Redington CT would be a good pick or a TFO Pro series. Both are on clearance.
  12. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    For Washington's mountain creeks I use a 7.5' CT 2wt. Most of our skinny water has small fish. 12"-14" is a trophy. The graphite 2wt is perfect.

I've cast the Crosswater and found it close to the CT. It's cheaper but doesn't come with a rod tube so add $35 if you want one. If you must have a new rod and you're on a budget it's worth a look.

I have a 6wt Pursuit. I love it, but bought it to throw streamers and double indicator rigs. I wouldn't get one for a creek rod.
  13. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Honestly, I'd get a 4 weight Cabela's Glass Rod. There a great creek rod and basically all I use on small streams, I even use a 5/6 as my go to SRC rod once they enter freshwater. But among those choices, I like the Redington Classic Trout, it's a pretty nice stick for what your using it for.
  14. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +489 / 0
    I love my 9 ft 4t redington ct. If you don't have a bunch of rods and are looking for versatility I'd recommend going this route. I've fished plenty of skinny of water with it and use it on the deschutes for dry fly work as well.
  15. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +524 / 0
    Redington CT...find one, buy it....why? Do a search on this site and find out why. Not convinced do a google search...and find out why. Buy it! Why?...Find a Redington CPS right now? Not an easy task......enuff said from me! :D
    Mark Mercer and Kent Lufkin like this.
  16. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Pretty nice rod for the money. Love my CT.
  17. Cedar Active Member

South King
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Another vote for the CT...but if you are really looking for a small creek rod you might consider a 7.5 or 8 foot three weight. More delicate presentation and easier to cast in tighter spots and still plenty of rod to handle fish.
    Stew McLeod likes this.
  18. kmac Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    I love my 4wt Redington CT for general trout fishing on small to medium sized rivers, but it's 8'6" long and not really suitable for smaller streams/creeks. I tested their shorter 3 wt but decided to stick with my 7' Cabelas fiberglass. It's a 4 wt but it casts and feels like a 3 wt and is my go-to small creek rod. If you're set on getting a Redington I'd strongly recommend the (CT) Classic Trout as these are really great rods. Many people have said they are quite similar to some of the much pricier Sage rods. The CTs were discontinued and replaced by the Temp series rods, but you can still pick up a new CT on Ebay for $100-$120 range. Keep in mind these are more of a medium action rod which is what I like, but some prefer the fast action rods.
  19. almostacatch Let it Angle on the Dangle

malott, wa
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I went cheap as I could with a Cabelas Traditional II ($49 on their spring clearance). I put a cheap DT floater on it and was good to go. She's made many a high country trip and Cabelas rod return deal is great just take it back to one of there stores and they'll give you a new one (think Walmart.) The rod itself isn't that bad it's not designed to cast a mile but what 7'6" 4wt is? It is accurate enough and being 7'6" long weight isn't an issue. For backbone it does fairly well my oldest son caught a 4# smallie with it on a wooly bugger and it held up well in the heat of the fight. If you have to go to wall-bela's give the Traditional 2 a shot it might not help you make it to the cover of the Orvis calalog but if it fails just bring it in or send it in and they'll fire you a new one.

Disclaimer: This is only if you can't find a way to support your local fly shop!
  20. Kim McDonald member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    I fish a lot of small creeks, and a 4 weight is a big rod for creeks here in Washington. I'd drop down to a 3 weight or even 2.

Not inexpensive, but I do love Orvis Superfine rods for this type of fishing. You can often find them on eBay for less than a new one.

Also look at the LL Bean Pocketwater. Got great reviews last year. Never tried one, but it's in a good price range.

Kim
    Kent Lufkin and Patrick Gould like this.