looking for a 4 weight affordable creek rod

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cutthroat kid, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    I've got some LL Bean credit and I might end up with a Pocketwater. I'll post a mini review If I get it.
  2. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    See my photo. ' That is an average size fish in my fav small stream.

I love a 2 wt for these native trout. My vote is 2 wt, 7'3" 4 piece Echo carbon.

My favorite rod for the 4" to 8" trout I catch on small streams. I love the light weight, short rod that is easy to fish in the tight areas.

Excellent customer service based out of Vanc WA.

I broke the tip trying to remove a fly from 15ft up the tree. Bad Idea. Tip broke, fished the rest of the day with broken tip. Had rod taken to shop in Vancouver Wa and within days was fishing with a new tip section.

See it at http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=2&page_id=14&product_type=1
  3. Flyfishing Dad displaced Alaskan

Chehalis, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I always check the bargain center at the local Cabela's. Have often found the rusty brown rod tubes in the bargain barrel there. Have picked up three 4-wght rods, and one 2-wght. Each had a minor flaw in them that needed repairs, not much more than another $35-30 to have repaired by a reputable shop (Cabela's said they wouldn't offer the repair themselves for some reason), or even less to do for myself. The rod and tube usually costs me about $25, so all told I get a Cabela's light weight two or three piece rod for below $100. Worth keeping an eye on.
  4. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    I have a 4wt 8-ft. 4-piece CT coming in the mail right now. About $80 including shipping. Can't beat a deal like that!
  5. David Bershtein Member

Northeast
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I went the e*ay route to get my young daughter a 4 wt. I found a custom, i.e. home made rod made with a Loomis blank in a nice tube for about $100. I got a rod maker friend to put Happy Birthday from Daddy on it. It is her favorite rod and she won't share it!
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  6. lylelovett666 Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I suggest you check out what Ross has to offer.
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    The cheapest rod you can get it the free one. I got one from a buddy on this web site. I fish the hell out of it in the summer time. It is a 7'6" blank unknown. But it works and my other is a 7'9" finesse rod. Both are 3wt's.
  8. David Bershtein Member

Northeast
    Someone on another site gave me a free reel for my daughter. Kids break and lose equipment so it is great when people help out. She would like to try a 3 wt if there is someone out there who has an old, pounded rod and/or reel. She is becoming much more careful and dedicated, now age 14.
  9. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    Cabela's fiberglass rods are great!
  10. David Bershtein Member

Northeast
    Do they still make fiberglass rods? I had a Wright & McGill fiberglass fly rod as a kid in the 50's & 60's. I don't remember what they feel like to cast. Are they slow action?