Looking for a Fillet Knife

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by salt dog, Feb 6, 2008.

1. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Speaking of knives, does anyone know where I could get a fillet knife with wood, bone, antler or similar handle? Seems the only fillet knives I see around come in bubble wrap with a platic moulded handle and sheath, and look like garbage.
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    You might call Elliott Wakefield at Rayrock Springs. He's this side of Leavenworth on Hwy 2. 509-763-3117. RAYROCK@nwi.net

It would have to be a custom for sure...
  3. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Thanks Roper. I think I know of the place if it's the one right on Hwy 2; always thought about stopping in to check the place out, but usually zooming past to make the evening rise.

I so seldom keep fish anymore over the last 20 years that the last few times I kept a salmon or hatchery steelhead I couldn't find a decent knife to do it justice.
  4. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    Yup, green house with an attached shop, Elliott makes some nice knives, but he also sells some cheap crap from China. :confused:

There's another maker I knew of, but I lost his information, may be able to find it again...
  5. bilnik New Member

Wilmington N.Y.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Any commercial fish supply store has wooden handled "dexters".
    (my fav. for fish and birds.)
  6. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +306 / 0
    Sam Henson in Arlington makes some nice knives. I received one of his fillet knives as a gift and I love it. They're not cheap, but custom stuff never is.

Knives by Sam Henson
    360-691-7582
  7. Rusty New Member

Hayward, WI 54843
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The old standbye is the Rapala 6", Finland, wood handle, leather sheath. Theres a reason so many are sold, they're good; $10-$15 and worth every penny. Get one for backup at least; Buck & Gerber made some nice stiffer models for Big fish. My 2 cents worth!
    Also; Be real careful about using a flexible blade fillet knife in the kitchen for general use, not made for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!