Looking for a float tube!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kringle, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Kringle New Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm looking to purchase a float tube. Being new to the sport, I'm not sure where to look or what features I need. I'm 6'2" and weigh 230lbs. so I'm thinking I need the heavy duty model. I want a good tube that will last a long time and I'm ok with spending more for a quality tube. Any suggestions on brands and models would be appreciated. If you reply, please let me know where you got it. I was plannning on putting this purchase off for awhile but with the rivers this high I think I'll be on the lakes for now. Thanks for the help. Kringle(aka The Newbie) :CONFUSED
  2. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    http://www.outcastboats.com/

I have a "Fat Cat" the best float tube I've ever been in! You are sitting at least 2-3 inches off from the water surface and the bladders are top of the line. I believe there was someone here posting a sale of 2 Outcast float tubes, or were they pontoons? Good luck!

:THUMBSUP
  3. wa_flyfisher New Member

Port Orchard, WA.
  4. Osprey New Member

Kirkland, Washington, USA.
  5. fsbii New Member

any prices? Whats too much for a float tube?????? Avg. for a quality rig? Thanks

Scott
  6. Brian New Member

Kringle,
    I've done the float tube and u-boat thing in the past. Two years ago a bought a Outcast Super FatCat. I'm your height plus about 20 lbs. After using the Super FatCat I will never go back to a float tube. The Super FatCat is rated for 350 LBS and has lots of room for us larger fellas. When seated, only your lower legs below the knees are in the water. This will help keep you warmer then in a tube, as less of your body is in the water. They are expensive at $359 retail, but you can pick them up cheaper. I got mine for $219.00 on a last years model closeout. While $219.00 still is not inexpensive, I sure enjoy the comfort and space it gives me. Outcast seems to build a very quality product.
    Good luck in your search.
    brian