Looking for a lake.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Does any body know anything about Caskey lake. It is a small lake up on the hills above the Skagit river. I found it on a map looking for out of the way places to fish. The map that I'm using shows the road going by but we drove up there yesterday. But no lake. But in the mean time looking for the lake found lots of new other places to explore.

Jim

2. kjackson

kjackson Banned or Parked

Jim--

Here's what I found in Lakes of Washington, the Department of Ecology book: Caskey is five acres in size, has a maximum depth of 19 feet, and it was planted with eastern brook in 1946. It's also supposed to have catfish. It drains to the Sauk River and is located six miles south of Rockport.

Never fished it, so I can't tell you how to get there or even if it's still a lake. The book I have was published by the state in 1973, so...

Keith

3. Rxfisher

Rxfisher New Member

Jim;
    Were you using the map in the Washington Gazeteer?? I have seen the lake as well on the map and was curious about that lake, there is also another body of water called Texas pond, did you encounter that one. Since you were out exploring did you try Day lake South of Hamilton, heard good things about that lake and have wanted to explore that area. I hope you find some good fishing.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I spotted that little lake about a year ago and have never been in that area until yesterday. Oh I have fished the Skagit in that area,but never did any exploring until yesterday. The map I was using is the Washington Atlas and Gazetteer. We were up on top of the ridge where it is supposed to be but could not find it. The area up there is laced with roads that are not on any map. But we did find one spot that is fenced off in the general area.

I know where the Texas Ponds are but have not made it up there yet.

And as for Day Lake. You used to be able to get to the lake off of the road to lake Cavanaugh but it is gated now and I don't know if there is another way up there.. And one more thing as we're in the area is Day Creek. fished it a few years ago. It was the only place in this state that I got lost in.

Jim

5. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

My family used to have a cabin up at Day Creek. That's where I learned to fly fish (catching smolts and the occasional sea-run as a six-year old. There is (or was)also access to Day Lake via logging roads up Potts Road about 1/4 mile past the actual town of Day Creek. Day Lake has brookies that I've seen get up to 11-12 inches. There are probably bigger ones in there. I haven't been there for 10+ years, so my information could be terribly obsolete.

Tom

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The road to Day Lake is privately owned and is gated. As I understand it the owner will let you hike or bike, as in pedal, into the lake you just can't drive there. I believe an attempt to stop partying and such at the lake.

Rx, I have a good friend that has logged the Skagit watershed for over 30 years. He knows the area very well and he is willing to show some of his "hidden lakes and ponds" to me. Perhaps after steelheading we could get together for a little exploring.