Looking for a place to take a newbie SH'er

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Scott, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Hello everyone... This is my first post on this board. Everyone seems to be really nice. My fiancé has recently become a steelhead addict such as myself and I wanted to take her out this weekend. We both have recently moved out here so we are not too familiar with the rivers yet. She has done some limited fishing on the northern california rivers such as the Trinity and the Klamath. I was interested in you suggestions for a good place to take her. I'm trying to scare her too much by taking her to a real large river. I would prefer a relatively small, intimate river that she can disect relatively easy. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Scott

2. I would try the upper hoh , bogachiel or sol duc rivers on the olympic peninsula if you fish the upper reaches of these rivers
    there a lot smaller , check the regs though parts of the rivers might be closed.Forks is the closest town plus it has a fly shop
    you can stay there or just stop in for some info.The rivers should be in good shape right now.The upper part of the hoko
    river has a stretch of fly fishing only water.The hoko is not the
    same river as the hoh.I would buy some books and a washington gazeter and do some research.If you want something closer to seattle i would fish the upper skykomish river.check
    your local fly shop for fly patterns and books and everything in between.Let us know how you do.GOOD LUCK. :THUMBSUP

3. On the coast, I'd second the suggestion of the Sol Duc and Bogey, and add the Calawah, all part of the Quillayute System at Forks (about 3-1/2 hours from Seattle). None of these streams (save the Quillayute itself, which is not really a fly river) is as big as the Kalmath or the Trintity.

Unfortunately, in the Seattle area, the big rivers are where the fish are (with the exception of the Green, which I don't know at all, so I'll leave it to someone who does). I'd reccomend the Sky though. Lots of beautiful fly water with plenty of road access. It's big water for sure, but I don't think it's appreciably bigger than the Klamath, and as you likely learned on that big water, the trick is not to be intimidated by the whole breadth of the river and concentrate on the water in front of you.

Check out a post I made on this forum on a thread called "Fishing the Sky." (It's on page two of "topics" with a final post --from me-- dated Jan 25. Look for the post I made on Jan 14.) It gives you the names and some general directions to a number of the better known and more productive pools on the lower river.

Good luck.

(BTW: the fishing on the Quillayute system is head and shoulders better than anywhere else in the state, and a fish on the cobble is definitely the best way "sell" anybody on a new fishery. If you're in the Seattle area, it's a long haul, but might be worth it.)

4. Try the forks of the Snoqualmie.The S/fork is a small river as is the middle fork. Easy access to both places. Best access is out of North Bend. Also there are maps of these rivers on this web site. In fact there is a lot of info here. Jim S. :YUM :BIGSMILE

5. The forks are fine for trout, but there are no anadromous above the falls, and that means no steelhead.

I would second a vote for the Sky. Try the fishing above Goldbar, the river is smaller and more manageable. Also keep an eye on the USGS gauge, and try to fish it at or below the winter average line. Its much more fly friendly then.

Rob

6. Congratulations on hooking up with a steelhead addict. Wish my wife were one . . . I'd get a lot more fishing in. :WINK

7. Trade? Mine plus a drift boat? :WINK