Looking for a river and good guide

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Simplebugger, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Simplebugger

Simplebugger New Member

Hey all, I'm heading out to Forks for some business and wanted to get a little steelhead fishing in while I'm out there. I don't know enough about the area or the fish to try on my own so I thought a guide might be a good idea. Any recommendations or cautions on the guide service to use? Also which river out there seems to produce well this time of year?

2. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

3. http://www.brazdasflyfishing.com/

Gotta go with the braz man every time! Killer dude who knows his stuff. If pounding some whiskey after fishing is your thing he is good at tha too.

If u get a chance stay at the bogey house

4. jsuyes

jsuyes FFF-CCI

JesseCFowl likes this.
  5. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Depending on when you plan to go, finding an open day or seat could be a problem.
    I have fished with Jim Kerr on several occasions, in fact I just fished with him last Thursday and Friday. Jim is a top notch guide and a blast to be with and he works his ass off. You can't go wrong. www.raincoastguides.com

Jeff Brazda is likewise a great guide and has several other great guides that operate out of the Bogey House. I have done that trip as well. A great time, for sure. But, Jeff will not be starting up the operation until the 1st part of February. www.brazdasflyfishing.com

6. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

7. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

I fished two days with Jim last February and he was great! I highly recommend him.

8. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Because he calls rods, poles.

9. dcm

dcm Member

It is likely that Jim is already booked, but I would definitely recommend him. I think he now has a couple of other guys that are working with him and help to handle his overflow. If Jim knows them, you can be confident they know their stuff.

Another option is to contact the Waters West fly shop (also a site sponsor) out of Port Angeles. Dave has several excellent guides working with him through the shop.

Hire a guide and he'll know what river to fish.

10. make sure i always call it an indicator around people like you.

just busting balls man

11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Just fished with Caleb Hitzfeld a few weeks ago -- he's a keeper.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  12. Crump

Crump Member

Gray Struznik - Born and raised in Forks. 360-640-2400

13. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

If you want to walk and wade to some amazing water. As well as have one of the best lunches made on the O.P. talk to Bob Triggs. He is a member here and a top notch guide.

Also look at Ryan Davey. He is guiding up there. His company is Primal Angler.

Davy likes this.
  14. Befishin

Befishin Member

15. Fletcher

Fletcher New Member

I'll 2nd on Gray Struznik. Caught my first steelhead on a swung fly with him. Good guy, a lot of fun!

16. SccrBecks08

SccrBecks08 water-logged

I happened to fish with Mike on the Sol Duc this January as a way to learn the water and am happy to say he's a true professional. By no means is he a flyfisher; rather, he sports the tried and true jig/plug approach and is a master at the art in my opinion. I was impressed at his knowledge of the river and the many habits of steelhead and salmon that swim those systems. The guy can row a drift boat with the best of them too, and I look forward to having him take me down the Calawah soon. More importantly, he's an ethical educator of fishing and the importance of respecting the river and fish. The photo attached is one of the beautiful natives he helped us land and happily release back into the river without hassle for the next fly swinger. A few more outings in his boat spending 9 hours on the water and I might get the nerve to try fly fishing for the coveted winter steelhead.

Attached Files:

17. Davy

Davy Active Member

yup,, Mr. Triggs is a reel good choice

18. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

And don't forget chums in 30 seconds :)

19. shawn k

shawn k Member

Mike is most definitely a fly fisher. He grew up in Montana and he works there some summers.
    Mike is what I would call a fish catching machine.