Looking for a trout stream...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Scott, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Scott New Member

North Bend, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    that is relatively close to Seattle that might provide good action for my fiance. I took her to the Sauk last weekend thinking that she might be able to catch a dolly or two... No such luck for either of us. I am new to the area and would definately appreciate some help. The size of the fish really is not much of a concern, but I would like to find a place that will provide fairly quick results. She has been a trooper with me lately on my Steelheading ventures, but she is now sick of not catching anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? :DUNNO

Thanks!!!

Scott
  2. guest Guest

You could try the forks of the Snoqualmie. They are all open. Good access out of North Bend. But with all this rain I would think that the rivers will be going back up.
    This site had/has some maps of access to the Forks around the town of Snoqualmie. I don't know if they are still there but you can look.
    Jim S. :WINK
  3. DEREK New Member

Olympia, WA.
    I just married my fiance a couple months ago, and like you am working on teaching her to flyfish. My plan is in a month and a half or so when the bluegills are spawning to go out and introduce her then. Its not a trout stream, but it's much easier to catch fish, especialy for a beginer. They take flies very well and even on top. Even with her poor casting, she'll be able to catch fish without my help. I do a fair amount of winter steelheading myself, but I still am looking forward to a sunny evening on the lake with my wife catching more fish than I did all winter.

Just my 2 pennies
    Derek :COOK
  4. Duck New Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Scott,
    The Middle Fork of the Snolqualmie would be a good bet. Take the exit out by the truck stops. lots of easy access, although water levels are probably up.
  5. Vic_sea New Member

Is there really good fishing out there?
    I was there 3 or 4 times and didn't catch even single trout
    just broke tip of my rod when bushwacking
    and things like disassembled (and probably stolen) car in the forest scared me away from this river
  6. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    The fishing can be very good. I have had 30+ fish days with some going up to 16". I don't fish the river until late summer when the level drops, so I don't know about spring fishing. The area has been cleaned up a little but there is still a lot of dumping. The worst areas are the sand bars whcih are used for parties.
  7. Scott New Member

North Bend, WA, USA.
    Thanks everyone...

for all the good ideas. She is turning into quite the trout bum on me (oh darn). Someone suggested a lake called Cutthroat Lake... I guess it used to be good some years back but he was unsure about it now.. Has anyone heard of this lake? The other suggestions I had were the Yakima and Rocky Ford, although both sounded like they would be a little too technical for her at this stage. She is not a bad flyfisher, but like most people, she needs some instant gratification once in a while.
  8. guest Guest

Who you funnen now,I don't think that I've ever seen 30 fish in that whole river. I've only fished those rivers several times and I've been told that the best time to fish them is in the late afternoon or in the evening. Since I live a little ways from there the best fishing is when I am leaving to go home. Jim S. :COOK
  9. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    Thanks everyone...

Jim S. - I pay attention to when you leave, then I know it will be hot! They are there. One of the biggest I hit was a cutthroat at one of the heavily used, and heavily fished, sand bar camping areas. Hit an olive elk haired caddis, size 14 - after a perfect cast, of course.
  10. steve New Member

Thanks everyone...

Rocky Ford can be technical at times, but not too bad. I would wait until after opening day, though, otherwise it's to crowded. I have found that one of easiest way to fish it is by using a white or black wooley bugger about size 10, or a white flesh fly. Usualy casting them out and them stripping them back will work or dead drifting them. I would start at the parking lot and fish all the way up to the lake on the North (I think) end of the stream (about 2 miles). You should pick up a few that way. Also, site fishing with dries and scuds can work. In the case of scuds you need to get the fly right in front of their noses before they will move usually. Good luck.
    -Steve
  11. guest Guest

Thanks everyone...

Micro Brew the reason I said that is I hooked up with a guy last year on here and that is what he told me when I told him that these forks suck. I don't doubt that there are fish there. I'd just like to catch a few of them. I guess that I should just plan for staying longer than I usually do. Jim S.
  12. closed_loop Guest

hmmmm. got it dial'd
    I was on the middle 2 days ago and it was totally washed out. Very silty and will be so for a while. best bet is the N. fork, bit more clear even with all the rain. South fork above twin falls might be good too although it might still be a bit cold for anything. If you try around Olallie state park with some stonefly nymphs(brown, tan) you might get lucky. :THUMBSUP
  13. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    The MF is silty below about the Pratt River coming in. I was up that way on Sunday, and found crystal clear water about 10 miles up the MF Road.

Rob
  14. jroni Member

North Bend, WA.
    Thanks everyone...

I live in North Bend and in the summer fish the forks of the Snoq. often. There are lots of fish in the river(small ones for the most part)but sometimes you would swear there were none and other times even in downtown the river is alive with rising fish.

However, the forks do get considerable fishing pressure just because they are about the only decent accessible mountain streams around. If you are willing to bushwack and hike a little you can find some stretches that are actually pretty good an unbelievable wild and scenic.

However, if you are in search of fish with some consistent size keep driving east another 30 miles till you get to the Yakima and leave the forks to the "locals" :THUMBSUP

jr
  15. s_vanho New Member

Hey scott- I am also new to Seattle and have gotten some good tips from this webiste forum thng. I've been up to the Snoq- to the South Fork, and had some luck, caught some nice little 'bows. Not big fish, but a beautiful river and a nice time. I got my wife hooked on flyfishing a couple of years ago as well.
    The Snoq is pretty easily fished, the fish are eager and will hit just about anything that looks buggy. There is also lots of access points.
    I haven't been able to get up there for awhile, so don't know how its been. Good luck! SVH
  16. ray helaers New Member

Thanks everyone...

I don't think you need to dismiss the Yak as too technical. It has its moments, but it can also fish pretty easily. It can be intimidating because of its size, but if you focus on the first ten feet from the bank (often the first ten inches), it makes pretty simple sense. Particularly in the lower canyon, try to focus on areas where the bank contour allows you to be on the bank and still cast at the bank (the wading can often range from tough to impossible, especially by late May through September).

The next six-eight weeks will offer some of the best hatches of the year: first March browns (a very nice big mayfly) and BWOs (a cursed little mayfly) and then the early "Mothers Day" caddis can trigger some spectacular afternoon/evening rises. And a LOT of fish come almost every day to basic, easy-to-fish attractors like stimulator dries and Prince nymphs.

If you've got the scratch, a guided float makes a great date and will sell you both for sure.
  17. Chris Bailey Member

seattle, wa, USA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    It has been a few years, but I had one of my favorite days on the upper reaches of the middle fork. If I remember right, we were within a few miles of the end of the road, where the PCT trailhead is. The road was rough at the time and I don't know if it has been maintained much. The trout were smallish, but plentiful, fun, and relatively predictable. That was my wife's (girlfriend at the time)first real success at flyfishing.
  18. saltchuck New Member

seattle, washington, usa.
    I got my wife and daughter hooked on flyfishing by taking them to a catch and release "pay" lake. If your fiance just wants to feel a fish and practice playing one, these places can be very useful.....kind of feels like cheating but it does the trick.

Not all of them as I found out will cost an arm and a leg either if you do the research. Some offer 1/2 days and some even have hourly rates.

Good luck whichever route you choose.
  19. FishPirate New Member

Darrington, WA, USA.
    Are you stuck on stream fishing? You may want to give some of the local lakes a try---the fishing can be much easier, and you can avoid some of the issues associated with backcasting.

Good luck.