Looking for first toon. Help please.

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Danielocean, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +645 / 0
    Hey guys thanks in advance.
    Wanting to take the plunge on my first pontoon so I can float rivers "like" the Skykomish. I have been researching alot the past couple weeks but I can not put a finger on exactly what is "needed" from a new guy standpoint, and was is just "nice to have".

Reason I am asking for guidance is because I really do not know whether to buy a 400 dollar pontoon or that really nice 1400 dollar pontoon. I understand that some toons are pvc, and some are urathane. However, I do not know which one is necessary or what not. If you guys could point me in the right direction with some good info that would be swell.

If I come to the conclusion that I need to wait and buy once cry once then I will, I just will not be able to make a 1400.00 dollar toon purchase till next year which sucks.
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
  3. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +683 / 0
    And I have a lightly-used Scadden Renegade I'm contemplating selling now that I have a pram.
  4. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +728 / 2
    Kerry's boat is definitely something to consider. Bucks makes good boats and at 9' it'll do pretty much anything you want.
  5. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    I talked to the guys at the fly shop why buying my reel today. They pretty much squared me away as far as understanding the differences between the costco toons and the PAC 9 which is what I will save up for.
  6. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Good choice. You will not be dissapointed with an Outcast product
  7. gofish101 Member

BC
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I agree Outcast makes a great boat. I might also suggest you look at maybe getting an 11 footer instead. Lots of articles about both or maybe start a thread getting opinions. You may also find some smoking hot deals coming up in the classifieds now that fishing season is coming to an end. I started with an 8ft boat and quickly relized it wasn't going to cut it. So I got a Scadden Skykomish 10.6 ft. and love it. Good luck in your quest.
  8. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe

Is it pretty normal for guys wanting to sell of there shit during the offseason?
  9. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    Daniel,

You should buy Kerry's boat. I've had the same bucks bags pontoon for going on 15 years and it's still going strong. You can't go wrong with a Bucks, and their customer service is top notch.

Matthew
  10. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe

Honestly I would be highly interested but unfortunately I do not have the funds right now. I am in the research phaze and will most likely get one around the holidays or spring.
  11. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    After having a few pontoons from 8 to 10ft, I found my ideal boat and have been using it for years with no plans to change. It's the same boat Kerry is selling. It's big enough to be stable while floating my big ass down the river, but small enough that I can load, unload, and pack to the water on my own.
  12. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I will still let you do a test drive. Let me know when you want to try it and we will set something up. It will give you a base line to work from. The BroncoX is a top of the line boat.
  13. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Kerry that is very kind of you and I am overwhelmed. Yes sure I would be happy to take the opportunity to test drive it. However, I have no previous experience with rowing, so I may need some help. We may as well make a day fishing too what do you think? Keep in mind I would insist on taking car of the food and beverages!
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Take it to Pass Lake someday.
  15. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +680 / 5
    There's also a scadden for sale in the classifieds too that would work. Nice little craft with frames. It's the bigger avenger I think.
  16. Twin Dragons New Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I have the same boat that Kerry is selling and absolutely love it. Use it in both rivers and lakes even some white water. Don't want anything else.
  17. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
  18. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Thanks jerry sure appreciate the time.
  19. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I know the soldier who owns it. Takes good care of his gear.
    Danielocean likes this.
  20. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +220 / 2
    Not that I'm trying to convince you of trying Kerry's (or anybody else's boat) but if you indeed want to test row a variety of boats, we have a couple of demo models that we'd be happy to show you and let you try on the river, for the sake of comparison. Typically we meet folks on the Yakima or Snoqualmie but if fishing is involved at the other end, I'd go most any where, including stillwaters.