Looking For Guide Service around Glacier or Kalispell MT.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by sweetlou, Mar 17, 2014.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

Hi there everyone. I am planning a trip to the Glacier area around July 20. Looking to see if anyone can recommend or help me with finding a guide service before I go. I would like to reserve a spot. Any help is always appreciated.

2. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Try these guys. They had a good shop when I lived there 15 years ago!
    http://www.lakestream.com/category/fly-fishing-the-flathead_river/

I think one of the rafting companies out of West Glacier runs fly fishing trips too. Best river fishing in the area is a couple of hours away. Either Kootnei over by Libby or the Elk River North at Fernie BC. There are some very good high lakes to fish in the park if you don't mind a bit of a walk. The lakes on the Blackfoot res. will probably be in the summer doldrums by then.

3. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

4. J Wood

J Wood Member

www.glacierguides.com or www.stumptownangler.com

I used to work as a backpacking and whitewater guide for Glacier Guides and it's a top notch outfit. Dave at Stumptown really knows the rivers around Glacier as well. The Flathead System is not as highly regarded as other Montana waters but it is a quality native cutthroat (and bull trout) fishery....

5. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

Trust me, you won't need a guide to fish around Glacier on July 20th unless you would like to float. It's not sophisticated water and darn near everything will catch a west cuttie on all the forks of the Flathead.

6. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Glacier Raft Company in West Glacier

[​IMG]
    Float fish the Middle Fork of the Flathead.

[​IMG]
    This is the Middle Fork of the Flathead. You can see the raft in the background. To the left of the raft ~ 1/2 mile is Hwy 2.

[​IMG]

You can fish in Glacier National Park without a license. DIY fishing in the Park is pretty easy if you don't mind all the touristas.
    Behind me ~100 feet in the photo is Going to the Sun Road.

The waters in and around GNP are mostly oligotrophic, so aside from the migratory and predatory bull trout, the hatches are not intense and the fish are not going to set any State records. The Middle Fork of the Flathead flows out of The Bob Marshall which is much more nutrient rich.

[​IMG]

The lakes, while very photogenic, seem to be even more oligotrophic and small cutties are the norm.

[​IMG]

If you want to see more of the Park, I'd recommend do it from the saddle. But then I like riding horses.

Trapper

flybill and Jeff Sawyer like this.
  7. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Head up the North Fork of the Flathead...amazing country. Just north of Polebridge, on the west side of the river, is about as "out in the wilderness" you can get while still in a car. And, as said above, some very nice cutt fishing. No guide needed, but stop in at Glacier Anglers and ask about access points.

flybill likes this.
  8. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

So I take it that this would be in the park? Been a few years since I have been there.

9. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

That maybe the case, but I am introducing a friend to fly fishing, and I would rather him be put onto a good experience his first time out.

flybill likes this.
  10. Trapper Badovinac

GNP Park boundaries are strange. On the North Fork of the Flathead, the Park boundary is the center of the river. You'll need a Montana fishing license to fish from the west side of the river, but none if you cross the bridge at Polebridge and fish the east side but only to the center of the river.

[​IMG]
    This is the NF Flathead ~ 5 miles south of Polebridge looking south. The Park boundary is the center of the river.

GNP Park boundary on the Middle Fork of the Flathead (on the south end of GNP,) the Park boundary is on the north shore of the MF, so you need a Montana license to fish it.

Trapper

11. Trapper Badovinac

For some reason I can't post this photo of the NFF when I try to edit the above post.

[​IMG]

12. Trapper Badovinac

[​IMG]

and I can't delete it.

13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I second the opinion that you only need a guide if you want to do a float, even with a first timer. I was in glacier two years ago around the same time frame you are looking at. It was the easiest fly fishing I've ever seen, too easy really. Any and every dry fly caught multiple fish. The FIL and the kids(7&11) who knew nothing about fly fishing caught dozens of cutthroat and brookies on dries. Whatever you threw out, they ate. A guide would be nice for a scenery float, though.

14. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Yep, what Trapper said. The North Fork is the far west boundary of GNP. If you're on the US Forest Service side, you're casting to the most amazing scenery, IMO. I was there a few years ago, just finished fishing and putting my dogs in the car, when I saw a grizzly emerge from the park side, swim the river, and rumble up to some woods maybe 50 yards from me! Thank goodness I didn't have a fish on!

There is some access to the North Fork on the GNP side, also.

Kim

15. Kim McDonald

Kim McDonald member

Also, remember there are some nice lakes for still water fishing in the Park.

Kim