Looking for inexpensive spey reels

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Ok, I'm looking for Bogdan or Hardy reels for under $100. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok, now that we all had a good laugh. I'm looking for some inexpensive spey reels. Maybe some well used, but still usable SA's. Looking for one in a size 10/11 and another in a 12/13. Figured if someone had some with boat rash and aren't using them, I'd love to get my hands on them. Have a smaller switch rod and an 8wt spey coming that I need to start outfitting. Not rods I'm going to be using all the time, so don't need top of the line stuff. Open to anything usable but not all out crappy reels (like some of those asian $0.99 ones on ebay). And yeah, been scouring ebay. Don't need brand new, and almost impossible to find used anymore on there. So if you have something, let me know. I have an SA 1011 right now, but it's my 10wt Sage's reel. Had a spare spool, so loaded it up with the backing and line for my 7wt spey/switch. So if I could find another SA 1011, could just swap the spools.

2. Brandon Kiesling

Brandon Kiesling Addicted

I dont personally have one to sell, but Lamson discontinued their 1st generation Velocity Hard Alox's. I have no problem using a V4 as a smaller spey reel. 4 inch diameter and 250 yds of 30lb backing.

189.00 brand new at mrfc.com - Thats a steal if you ask me

Good luck

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Yeah, that's a good price. But looking for cheaper. Have a line on a new SA. I know I can pickup used reels cheaper. Just hopingsomeone had an SA ready to go (since I love using them). Maybe if someone even had an older LP Lamson laying around.

4. Chukar Spey

Chukar Spey I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!

I have seen larger JW Young's on the UK Ebay site for under $75. In fact, I missed out on a 1535 for $20 bawling:!

For some reason, you don't see many JW Young's in the US auctions, but UK has them on a reasonably frequent basis. Hope you find one...unless I beat you to it ;)

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Okuma Integrity Large Arbor 10/11. I don't know squat, but I've got two. Two trusted posters here told me that they would do if cared for properly and right now they are both loaded with lots of backing and full spey lines. They are also wicked cheap...try sportsman's warehouse where I think I got mine for $40 each. I had previously used, abused and been impressed with the smaller Okuma Integrity reels on my 5 and 8wts. It was only when my addiction fully took over that I squandered my kingdom for the ever growing mass of gear and names tossed around this fine site. Just another low budget option that may or may not mean squat to you!

6. Jerry Daschofsky

LOL Chukar. I've missed a couple myself. Seen a few that had free shipping to the US from Scotland. I'll keep you in mind if I bid.

Thanks Mumbles. That was a route I was thinking of going. May go check out the Okuma's as well.

7. herl

herl Member

Look for wide spool Youngs Beaudex reels - 3.5" - 4". They are reversable and pretty awesome sounding, and bombproof. Only drawback is no palming rim - but there are other ways to slow a reel down.
    I have a 4" with some quirks that I might be willing to sell you.. Will PM if decide I can part with it.

Eric

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Thanks Herl. I'm one who hates palming, so not a biggie. Unless the fish is heading to China, then I've opted to do it. Where the old baitcaster method, thumb to the line works. Not a problem Herl, let me know if you do.

9. MotoXmg

MotoXmg New Member

...I second the idea of an Okuma Integrity 10/11. I just ordered one on ebay today for $48. I searched for reviews on it, and they sound great. I can update you in a week once I get it lined up and wet.

10. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

I third that! I use one on my swithch 8wt. Its a 10/11.

11. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I have the Okuma Integrit as well, and it is very servicable for the price. But it doesn't have the best drag system in the world though, and I have lost a few fish in the last couple years because of that (and undoubtably my own ineptness.) The drag will be too loose, then too tight, without changing the settings so I have to keep checking it routinely.

Then again, it is nice to fish for some critters where the drag matters.

Wayne

12. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Tom, How is that system working for you? Any fish on it yet?

William

13. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Not yet! I have fished the setup thanks to you 4 times. Still fishless! Someday, someday..... Kind of like steelheading! Hahaha

14. c1eddy

c1eddy Member

15. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Okuma Interity drag

Only issue I had with them is they are not sealed. I have a 7/8 that has put the brakes on a lot of good size carp. :D Dig around and see if you can locate some of those old Redington AS or AL series reels. Sealed drags. Usually go for around $100

16. Chris Frazier

Chris Frazier Fishin is life

prolbably get laughed at for sayin it, but TICA makes some good reals for the price. they use to make reels for shimano and companies like that but have started to make their own now.

17. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Try the Pfluger Trion 9/10 for the switch and the 11/12 for the spey. I use both as back ups and they work just fine. Even caught a couple fish on them and they were pretty solid for 100 or so dollar cheapies. EBay will have both used for under 100 bucks and spools are only 40 to 50 bucks so it's not a big deal to get a couple spools while your at it.

My 2 cents. :beer2:

18. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

19. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Lampson Konic is around 149 for the 10 weight

20. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.