Looking for more info on Echo Spey rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sloan Craven, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    A friend of mine allowed me to test cast his Echo Classic Spey 6126 yesterday. It sort of blew me away. :D
    The Classic 6126 was a softer regressive (anyone correct me if Im wrong) taper rod that performed better the more I slowed down my cast. Really, the sort of rod that does the work for you. I imagine it would be a lot of fun with a Skagit head line on it.
    ANyone out there faimiliar with Echo Spey rods have any reviews? I've read that the Echo II are really different from the Echo Classic.

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    E-mail Poppy at Red Shed. He carries them and knows them well.

3. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

echo II is a scando style rod with a fast action. I've heard good stuff about the classics though. Apparently they cast better than they look, as I've heard the finish work isnt always teh finest.

4. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Cascadekiller, Have you actually looked at any Echo Classic rods? The finish is just fine and certainly on par with some rods I can think of that cost much more.

The Echo Classic rods cast great, look great, are priced very nicely, have a "NO BS" fast turn around warranty, and come with a bag and tube. The 4 models (12'6"-6/7, 13'-7/8, 13'6-8/9, 14'-9/10) retail for $269.95. The first three models are rated medium action by Tim Rajeff. The 14' model is rated medium fast.

Sloan, What kind of review do you want? You've already said you were somewhat blowen away. That sounds like a pretty good review to me.

As has been pointed out the Echo 2 rods are scandi's. They come with two tips. One tip making the rod faster then the other. They are 12'4"-7/8, 12'4"-8/9, and 12'6"-9/10. They also come with a bag and tube and are priced @ $349.95

5. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I really do like that stick. I have not found the right line for it yet however. I was casting a Rio 6/7/8 Cutter on it and the grain weight just did not feel right (light). The only time I felt it casted well was when I was using a compensator and slowing down my loop. I have yet to try my other lines on it yet. I was thinking a 450 skagit may do the trick or one of the Airflo Skagit shooting heads. I just need to remember to slow down my casting stroke. if all else I am going to get to try the Airflo 6/7 which I think is the line Tim recommends.

Poppy, what line would you suggest?

I agree with Poppy and Sloan regarding the workmanship of the ECHO rods. The finish work and the cork far exceeds what I have seen in rods in that price range. I got to check out the ECHO II rods now.

6. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Delta 6/7.

7. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    I guess I was wondering how the other rods compare. I sort of have the belief that just because a rod in a certain weight of a certain series performs a certain way doesn't mean that a rod of a different weight in the same series is going to perform necessarily perform the same.

Steelie Mike, I think that a skando style rod for winter steelhead would be your best friend.

8. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    As I said above the first 3 rods in the Echo Classic series are rated medium action by Tim. I believe they pretty much all cast the same. The 14' model is a little faster (more powerful). For what it's worth my biggest sellers in the Classic series are the 13'-7/8 and the 14'-9/10.

You already know what I believe to be the best way to find out how a given rod casts. What size Classics are you most interested in?

9. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Poppy,
    I own a echo one hander and I've been thinking about getting a two hander (12'6"). I wasnt trying to knock the rods, but while I've not had any trouble with mine, a friend told me they used to have to send them back fairly often because of defects with the finish work. I've also heard you get a heck of alot more rod per dollar with the Echos than alot of other companies. That being said, I'm saving my pennies and weighing my options.
    Will

10. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    FYI, I did try the Delta 6/7 on the Echo 7130 and it loaded great. I want to the Delta Long belly line now.

Will, that stick is worth trying out.