Looking For Some Advice On A 'toon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Olive bugger, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +404 / 0
    I thank ALL of you for your input. I am pretty set on the SF with perhaps a wheel, and pumps, both K pump and electric, although I seem to have a lot of hot air my self. At my age, I doubt that I will be doing much hiking into remote lakes and river launches. I presume that with the SF I will have to find a way to rig my Minn Kota and battery. Give me something to do with all my spare time. Thanks again to you all.
  2. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    Olive, good call. Lots of boats out there and they all have their purpose. I owned one of the original SF's and used it for years. They are much nicer now. And, a piece of cake to kick around on a lake.
  3. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    Bucks Bags sells a motor and battery mount for their pontoon boats, though I think you'll lose the back deck.

The Alpine and High Adventure models seem to include an integrated motor mount. Their catalog available on their website seems to describe the models a bit better than their actual website.

Matthew
  4. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Great idea Matthew. I think I will order out one of the catalogs.

Do you still have yours, PT?
  5. Gators New Member

Gainesville, FL.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I found this forum while researching the Dave Scadden Outlaw Escape; it's not exactly a pontoon boat, but I'm also looking at several different Scadden models--specifically the Outlaw X5.

Has anyone used the X5? I'm interested in hearing what you think.

Thanks!
  6. LCnSac Active Member

Sacramento, CA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    I've never used an Escape, but I have two friends that have them. One thinks it's ideal because it very packable and great for jumping levies on the Delta. The other likes his for the same reason but complains about the rowing and lack of storage, due to it's short length.

The problem I have with the Escape is the $700 pricing. For $300 more you can get a Renegade which only weighs about 6 lbs. more. It's longer and wider and has ample storage for a motor and large battery. The Renegade is probably the largest Scadden boat that is easily portable for most people.

I would sell my SFC in a minute and trade up to a used Escape for a float tube with oars. For a real 'toon of any size I'd go with the Renegade.

Mojo is the X5 guru, so he can address that craft. One good thing about the X5 is that they are the most plentiful used Scadden boats and sell for around $1000 used. If you're going to use a motor and don't care as much about portability, the X5 is perfect.
  7. Gators New Member

Gainesville, FL.
    Thank you for the information! "Jumping levies on the Delta" sounds like quite a lot of fun! Are there any photos of that???

The main reason I'm considering the Escape is that I want something comparably sized to replace my new Super Fat Cat (which I dislike severely!) I had a SFC (w/ the hard foam seat) ~4 years ago, and had to sell it (and most of my fly-fishing gear) to help pay for college. I recently began re-acquiring fly-fishing gear, and picked up a new SFC, with inflatable seat--I've used it exactly 3 times, and its been in the box ever since (it's just so uncomfortable--I'm very disappointed!) IMO, Outcast took a really nice float tube, and messed it up. The seat length feels like its 2-3" shorter than the previous one, and the inner seat spacing is about 2" narrower. I'm in my early 40's, so I know that I haven't gotten any taller, and my waders still fit the same, so I haven't gotten any wider. I wish I would have known, I would not have bought another one.

I stumbled across a few youtube videos for the X5, and am impressed! It appears to be quite sturdy, and the different configurations are greatly welcomed! I don't foresee putting a motor on it, but you never know. Ideally, I'd like to get something that will let me do some fully loaded, multi-day fishing trips, perhaps on some whitewater like the Deschutes or McKenzie Rivers in Oregon... The X5 looks like it's suited for such water. Also, I see someone is selling one right now, but I'm in Florida, and he's in Montana. I'm heading back to the West Coast next month, but nowhere near him.

I do appreciate your help, and advice!
  8. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Ratings: +103 / 0

I too have the X5 and I HAD the Escape (sold it) The X5 is awesome in every way. I bought the Magnum rear deck, some Scotty Rod holders, a piece of 2X4 for a motor mount, Ram fo sonar small mod for Transducer and read to go.
    Very stable even in wind. The Standing platform is bigger than any other on the market.

Back to original post, Motor mount http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_item.asp?id=175 $107. About the same price as North Fork Outdoors universal motor mount.
  9. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    My 2 cents: I replaced a fatcat with my southfork, 7 years ago. I got oar extensions (I've a bit of oar envy....) and replaced the vinyl "deck" with a wire rack ...and ginned up a homemade anchor system. It does all the lakes you mention, and more. You can adapt a wheel for hike-ins very easy, and it'll float a lot of rivers...I've done the Kootenai and the Spokane, both non-technical really, but they are indeed rivers. For me, this is an easy choice...The southfork is the F150 of solo fishing craft.
  10. Gators New Member

Gainesville, FL.
    Out of curiosity, why did you sell your Escape? Was it because you only needed/wanted one boat, or did it not perform as you expected? (like with my Super Fat Cat; it isn't comfortable, etc.)

The X5 is certainly well spoken for here; I learned long ago about re-inventing the wheel. When it comes to gear, it's usually smarter (and cheaper) to follow the advice of the experienced and well-seasoned. I'll definitely have to take a look at one in person, to make a more informed decision.
  11. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    The Escape is very comfortable in the seat area. I have long legs and in order to keep my knees out of my chin, I had to put the seat all the way back in the curve. The side bags are big but I prefer a little more room and I do take my Wiener Dog with me. The Renegade is about 4 lb heavier and the price was do-able so I chose that direction. Now if they reintroduced the Freestyle H3, I would be all over that as that is the ultimate float tube.
  12. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 1
    We need to see a picture of this.
  13. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Hey Blue, is that a stone fly in your post?
  14. Blue Active Member

Salt Lake City, UT
    Dang Flies....LOL

[IMG]