Looking for some advise

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Olive bugger, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Tacoma, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have a Spring Creek which is a bit heavy or at least the model I have.
    I ran into a guy up at Chopaka this past June. He was just coming off the water as I was preparing to go out. I think his pram was a cedar strip type of construction. Cedar strips covered with fiberglass. Anyway I asked him if he needed a hand to lift it up on top of his SUV. He said sure since it was really windy otherwise he wouldn't need the help. I couldn't believe how light that thing was. It weighed almost nothing. He said he built and sold them but I haven't been able to find them on the internet. The only thing I know is he was from Spokane so maybe some of the Spokane flyfishers on this board know of him. I think he might of been a member of a Spokane fly club. As light as that thing was if I were to replace my pram I'd try to go that route. The strip type of construction makes a pretty boat also.
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Thanks Kim. I am considering building a small wooden skiff or pram. I just found out about this new one from Devlin:

http://www.devlinboat.com/5x10.htm

Also, Kim I hope you remember to post any info you find on that pram you mentioned. That boat sounds really sweet.
  3. Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Tacoma, Wa
    This might be the one (https://www.raysdreamboats.com/pram.asp). Looks close to what I saw at Chopaka. A bit on the spendy side but still a really cool looking boat.
  4. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    Jim--OB-- If you're thinking of building a pram, look up Iveofione's post on the pram he built. Unlike the Devlin boats, his is a flat bottom--something most prams aren't. The plans he used are free online; however, he did a couple of mods that made the boat better for fishing use. I didn't see any pix of him standing in the boat, but you could ask if he has and what it's like.

I'm going to start on my version in maybe a month or so after two other projects get finished up...
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Thanks BFK. I haven't decided on any particular design or plan, yet. I'm looking for something not too complicated for a "first-timer" to build. Must be light and narrow enough to car-top, and stable enough to stand and cast from. Able to handle up to 1' wind chop. Mainly a small lake boat, but enough rocker to row slow rivers.

That 5 x 10 Devlin skiff sounds like it could handle choppier water than a pram, and its less than half the weight of my 10' fiberglass Don Hill mini-drifter (which weighs far too much at 140 lbs). Looks like a relatively easy build for a novice boat-builder, too. Finished weight supposed to be only around 55 lbs!

A super lightweight glue-and-stitch pram would be awesome, too. Just have to find a design I like.

Kim, that White Salmon Pram looks sweet, but like you say, "spendy."

Olive bugger, my opinion (worth what it cost, and being a fan of hard hulls and not liking inflatables), is that you should get another pram, since the first one worked out well for you and you liked it.
  6. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +407 / 0
    Well, I made a trip over to Avid Angler yesterday to pick up a fly box for a gift. I looked at the V boats they had. I guess I am going to bite the bullet and buy a tube. A pram would be nice but a tube will give me more options. At my age I don't want anything with a lot of
    weight to move around. Besides, tubing will give me some exercise. Since I am out of the fishing picture until next year, (got a lame paw and will have surgery) I guess I will just wait until the waters warm and then pick up the Fat Cat.

I thank you all for you input to my inquiry. Always a good way to start my day reading what you fellows think and say. Thanks again.
  8. Gatorator Member

Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Have you thought of an inflatable? Mine is 11 feet long and 5 feet wide. Rated at 900 pounds and a 10 horse. I use a 2 HP on it and you can walk around inside. Much more stable than a pram or any other boat of the same size. Keep your feet dry and your beer cold in the cooler you can also bring along.

Inflates in about the same time as a toony and only weighs 90 pounds ready to fish. When it is taken down it easily fits in the trunk of my Ford Focus
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +407 / 0
    Well, I have floated a few rivers with a group using a raft. I presume that is what you refer to. The are great for a float on moving water, but have you ever tried to row one on a flat surface.

I am pretty well fixed on a v tube and I will spend the next few months deciding on the Fat cat or the Fish cat series. I am leaning to the Urethane bladders even though they cost more.
    But I believe you generally get what you pay for.

Thanks for your input though.
  10. Gatorator Member

Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm referring to a Zodiac type boat with a wood or aluminum floor.

Quite popular in BC where portability can be important.

They row very easily. And you stay dry.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  11. Milt Roe Member

Taco Ma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I ran a larger (18ft) version of that up in AK for several years. Very stable fishing platform, soft landing when you slip and fall, and we could put several of them in a Cessna 207 with outboard motors and gear. When well tuned (inflation pressure wise) they got up and ran just fine on a plane. You can carry a ton weight without making them tippy. For the right application, nothing wrong with that kind of boat!