Looking for SRC shrimp pattern

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Toon Fish, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Toon Fish New Member

Kenmore, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Can someone point me in the direction of a good SRC shrimp pattern?
  2. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    You can always count on any of the many euphausid patterns in sizes 6 through 16. These critters are an important part of the cutthroat's diet in the salt. There are good photos of euphausids in "Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon." There are also several shrimp patterns in the new "Fly Fishing Coastal Cutthroat" book of mine that is due on the shelves in September.
    Good Fishing.=,
    Les Johnson
  3. willieboat Member

Lacey, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Start with either a nickle or stainless hook in a short shank. Debarb. Tie in a very short tail of light pink or clear crystal flash, wrap the shank with silver milar, tie in a short beard of crystal flash, tie in white or light pink dubbing or chinelle, make two or three turns near the head, tie off.

Often as you bring one these guys to hand/beach, you will see them barfing euphausids, candlefish or herring. That would be your key to size and pattern.:thumb
  4. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +328 / 0
    If you are looking for a sand shrimp pattern, I have one that has been effective for SRC and resident silvers over the years. Below is the recipe:

Thread: 2lb nylon.
    Hook: TMC #8 4XL long shank stainless.
    Body: .02 lead wrapped 3/4 length of shank. D48 natural seal(tan) SLF(synthetic living fibre) dubbing over length of shank. Clip smooth top and sides of dubbed body but leave bottom straggly.
    Tail: Tan marabou(2). Clip to 2 to 2 1/2" over length.
    Options: Palmer tan(white would probably work) saddle hackle over body and clip top and sides same as above. Black eyes behind hook eye. These options make it look a little nicer but are probably not necessary.

It is an easy quick tie.