Looking for the best Steelhead guide I can find

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by GANDERWITZ, Jun 17, 2014.

1. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

I agree that the Cowlitz has a strong hatchery run. However, the OP also mentioned he prefers a river he can fish on his own afterwards. Unless Ganderwitz has a boat, the Cowlitz is limited, imo.

2. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

While sharing the cost is great. Keep in mind, you'll also be sharing the river (prime run position) and your guide time with another person. Maybe I'm complete off my rocker, but this would be something I'd put a lot of thought into. Edit: Perhaps it won't matter so much if you go with someone more experienced and not needing as much guide instruction.

JesseC likes this.
  3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

True, but a lot of the prime OP river runs are only accessible from a boat too. Sure you can bank wade the Hoh, but your options on a river like the Sol Duc are really small

4. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

Never fished in that area to know any better, so I'll take your word for it. I just know that as someone who went on a Cowlitz guided trip a few years back, I had a blast and loved the different runs I was put in. However, really disappointed the times I've gone back and was limited by what I could access on foot. I've since given up on the Cowlitz and fish elsewhere. At least until my wife approves a boat. :eek:

5. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Man I was struggling. Yarnies are hard to tie. Getting those fuckers round is tough.

I was referring to the guiding methods more so than the fishing methods since it sounds like all the guy wanted was to hook a fish, in which case I'd go that route. I'd definitely agree that nymphing well is harder than swinging well.

Alexander and CLO like this.
  6. GANDERWITZ

GANDERWITZ Member

I do have a 16' Lavro drift so boat required is attractive to me.... I wade a lot but that is due to unfamiliarity with WA rivers. I am fairly new to the area.

7. GANDERWITZ

GANDERWITZ Member

Great point!!! I think going alone might be best for me!

8. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

i would advise against floating the sol duc

Evan Virnoche likes this.
  9. most op guides have ther hoh and bogie boats, and then there duc and calawah boats, or they just have a raft

jake-e-boy likes this.
  10. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

Oh, you have a boat.. Well then that changes everything. Do the Cowlitz then. While you are with him, ask the guide the best drift to take for someone unfamiliar with the river. Then that first drift down without the guide, take someone that has been on the river a few times. Then next time you can do it alone if you want.

stilly stalker likes this.
  11. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

one guided float on the cowlitz and youll be able to pick your lines well. Its not a hard river to float

12. Flicastr

Flicastr New Member

Dave McCoy @ Emerald Waters Anglers - Best for Oregon and Washington, professional and high quality guides.

Johnathon Quarrell and Irafly like this.
  13. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

fixed

14. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:
    Quite the can of worms you opened here.

Mike Sturza of Lost Creek Flies on the Cowlitz (Google it) and Jim Kerr (Raincoast Guides) on the Peninsula both know their waters well and can put you on fish during the summer. The advantage of the Cowlitz would be its relative simplicity to row compared to some of the Peninsula rivers, which means you could go out and apply what you learn from Mike on your own. Either way you can't really go wrong...

15. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I would select a guide for the river you're most likely want to fish. Have he/she show you around and then I'd fish the shit out of it.

16. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think you will be very happy with whoever you do go with. The beauty of a guided day on the water, is that it usually is about so much more than just fishing. A reputable guide will not only put you on prime water, but will make the day a fun one. They will have intimate knowledge not only of the river shed you are on, but what water will best suit your style and ability. Do your research, and above all, have fun when you get out there.

Dan Cuomo and Luke77 like this.
  17. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys I really appreciate it! a lot!
    It is a hard choice, I love it here in the summer but it is very different than the Cowlitz.
    I do not know Mike but a lot of my regular clients have fished with him and say he is great. A couple of years ago we were looking at maybe moving south for my wife's work and I looked long and hard at the cowlitz. I haven't fished it much in the last 15 years or so but I do often think of it in the summer, plenty of water and good numbers of fish.
    I am sure you will have fun where ever you end up.
    Jim Kerr

18. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

Since everyone is throwing out guide names, I may as well jump in. Several years ago before I moved to Washington, I was guided on the Cowlitz by Steve Buckner. He lives near the river and knows it well. Even though I didn't catch a steelhead that day, he made it fun and memorable.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  19. Salvelinus

Salvelinus Member

Media:
    Jerry French. He and Ed Ward fished the Skagit literally every single day for years, fishing Skagit heads wayyyy before it became cool. He now guides the OP and Skagit. If you want to learn switch rod techniques there is no better guide in this state. Can be reached at opskagit.com.

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  20. Porter

Porter Active Member

next question might be what rod? reel? line? Haha! These q's get so many different responses...but some appear to consistent..who are they? Hmm.