Looking for

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Fishunter, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Fishunter

Fishunter Member

:) I'm looking for a Steelhead Sculpin pattern. I've used the search on this web site but nothing for results. Does anyone have a photo of one?

2. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Media:
    Home Page:
    Any good size Muddler should do, I would suggest a "Marabou Muddler", tie them in your favorite steelhead colors. If you cannot find a pattern, I have a few on my site w/ pics, under the FPDB.

Another great sculpin pattern is the New Zealand, Matuka Muddler. which is pretty easy to tie, tie a matuka pattern and then give it a muddler head with some mono eyes. I do not have a picture yet. You can find it in a copy of "flies of the northwest" by the IEFFC

3. Fishunter

Fishunter Member

So that's what it is! I thought it might have been different because of the name "Steelhead Sculpin". Thanks for the help. :hmmm:

4. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

Media:
    Steelhead Sculpin

The Steelhead Sculpin is a Harry Lemire Pattern. Trey Combs gives the recipe in his book. The body is grey dubbing. I use tan dubbing. You tie two or three ratty badger or grizzly hackles matuka style down the back. I use a spun deerhair head. The Lemire pattern used dark deerhair or caribou for the top of the head and light deerhair or caribou for the bottom of the head.

I also tie a black version of this fly where tie two or three marabou feathers down the back of the fly and spin a black deerhair head. I use heavy black nylon thread and don't bother with any dubbing.

Steelhead sculpin patterns have done well for me for native fish on the Skykomish especially during the catch and release season (when they have one). I think the steelhead sculpin is a nice change of pace from the usual guady patterns.