Looking to rethread my 8 wt. reel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Looking for a full floating wf line. I have most always used either Cortland or SA lines in the past.
    I am now looking at the Air Flo and RIO in 8 wt lines. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of these two lines in 8 wt? Both are pricy, but then again, good lines have always been pricy.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    If you were happy with the performance of either Cortland or SA lines in the past, and the Air Flo and Rio lines are pricey, why switch, unless the new lines are demonstrably better? I have lots of lines, and I can't think of any that cast nicer than a Cortland 444 peach.

Sg

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Check out Allen Fly fishing. Their lines are pretty good. I'm very happy with the 4wt line I got.

4. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I have both, and the RIO Gold in a good all around line. Works well in the heat of the summer for carp, and great in the colder months for steelies. It is a tough line, but not super smooth (as you notice when you're handling it).

The nice thing about the Airflo lines, is that they are PVC free, witch means they don't crack as easy (or at all). The two I have show no signs of wear, except where I snagged it on a sharp rock.

After all my experiences with Cortland lines, I swore that I would never buy another one. All their Lazer line, hocus pocus crap only led to the last 10' of line sinking after half a season.

That being said, The 444 peach is one that I have never tried, and have never heard one thing negative about them - always good reports on the peach.

Why didn't I just buy a peach? Because I'm stupid that's why! Sucked in by the marketing machine! I'm going to try the peach next go around for sure.

5. Olive bugger

The performance of both the Cortland and SA lines were only limited by the expertise, or lack of it, in my casting ability. That said, I have little or no knowledge of the two lines I mentioned, Rio and Air Flo. I had hoped to glean some info on their performance.

I have a five weight Cortland 444 peach and it is a dandy. Alas, it too is aging and I will perhaps have to replace it in the spring for lake fishing. I have a SA 6 wt that I could replace it with, but that would mean that I have overlined my 5 wt SLT rod.

I also have some issues with my 2 wt, but that is not the line, but rather the reel that I had to return to Hardy for some repair. I hope to get it back this week.

For now, I am only interested in replacing the 8 wt floating line.

The hype on the Air Flo and their proprietary polyurethane has me intrigued.

Thank you for the information, Dave. Just what I was looking for.

6. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

7. Olive bugger

WOW! Great article. Great information. Thanks again, for posting it.

8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Oh, sorry... One thing to consider on the RIO Gold, it fishes like an 9 wt on slower rods and like an 8.5 wt on medium/fast rods. That's been my take on it, and I've heard others say the same as well.

9. Olive bugger

The rod I would be fishing it off of, is a old 8 wt. Sage RP in 9 1/2.

Heavy as a log and stiff as one also, but it works. Because of that I am
    a little gun shy on the newer lines designed for a fast action modern rod. Maybe I should not be.

10. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

If you're concerned about it, I'd lean towards the Airflo vs the RIO Gold - unless it's a different RIO line you're looking at. I only have the Gold in the RIO line.

11. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I only have an Airflo Intermediate line, but it is really nice. I haven't been at this very long but it casts amazingly and feels a lot nicer than a PVC line. I find that there is basically no memory, though I've only used it in relatively warm weather.

I'd get an Airflo floater but the price is currently keeping me away.

12. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I have Rio Gold in 4,5 and 6wts. They are great lines. The longer belly give you much better line control. Rio is a great company the will warranty the line if it cracks.

13. Olive bugger

Guess it is time to visit the shop and take a first hand look at them.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Try the fly shop in Mill Creek. They have/had a casting pond behind the shop. You could maybe cast the lines to see what you like the best.

I mean that Mill Creek isn't that far from Duvall.

15. PT

PT Physhicist

SA Steelhead taper or Rio Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead would be my choice. Probably give the nod to the Rio but it's close. Would cast fine on your rod if you're into a bit longer WF head. Loads great and mends great.

16. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Dave K,

Yes, Cortland lazer lines were a complete clusterfvck, trying to improve on perfection. Quite silly.

Sg

17. Olive bugger

Well, maybe Wednesday I will journey up to Mill Creel and talk to the boys and visit with Rogue for a spell. I will take my rod and reel and see what they have to say about it.

18. Olive bugger

I was rereading this thread this morning. I always get a lump when somebody asked the question, "WHAT IS THE BEST...."

My take is best for WHAT? I doubt that there is a BEST in all situations, but in some there might be a better choice.

Back to the original question, I am curious about the finish on the Air Flo lines. Just how durable is it and is it going to measure up to the hype on the videos?

I appreciate you input, Dave.

19. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

The Airflo Ridge line I have, has held up better than my other lines actually. I am just as brutal on it, as I am with the others (stepping on it, snagging it around branches/rough edge rocks on the ground, etc).

The Ridge line feels weird in your hands at first. Kind of like grit is on the line, because of the ridges. Floats really well and is very supple.

20. Olive bugger

The only contact I have had with Air Flo is I bought one of their leaders a few years ago. I was not smart enough to understand the dynamics of it and went back to hand tied leaders. Perhaps they deserve another look. I am planning a trip to Mill Creek sometime soon and will see what they can tell me. Hands on is always good.