Looking to upgrade my vise and tools

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thomas Williams, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    I'm looking to buy a better vise and higher quality tools. Specifically bobbins and scissors. I currently gave a griffin spider I got on sale for 40$. It works okay I just would like a little more smooth performance. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm looking to spend around 200$. Also what brand of scissors and tools do you find to be high quality. It's been hit and miss for me I got some bobbins on eBay and it broke my thread every time! I like the doctor slick stuff though. Anything a little better out there? Thanks.

"Only when the last tree has been felled, the last river poisoned and the last fish caught, man will know that he cannot eat money."
  2. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Hard to go wrong with Anvil for scissors, and Dr. Slick for scissors and tools.
  3. Adrian Torres New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Regal and Renzetti make great vises!! Really like my Rite bobbins!!
  4. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +812 / 0
    vise - love my Renzetti Traveler
    scissors - cheapie thread nips and Dr. Slick
    bobbins - S&M (short tube)

Regards,
    Scott
  5. flyfishmt Active Member

Laurel, MT
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    I bought a Peak vise, because after 30 years of tying, I decided to give a rotary a try. I went with Peak based on good reviews and because it was made in the USA. I still use my 20 year old Regal from time to time and it has been "bullet proof." I just bought two new Dr. Slick scissors and they are awesome. I kick myself for being such a tight ass and not replacing the old scissors sooner.
  6. Adrian Torres New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    C and F Design makes the best bobbin IMO but they are expensive!!!
  7. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Yes C&F is crazy expensive. I was looking at the griffin mongoose. Looked nice and in my price range as well. I may budge for a C&F tool or two just to test whether or not it's worth the money. Their fly boxes aren't in my opinion.

"Only when the last tree has been felled, the last river poisoned and the last fish caught, man will know that he cannot eat money."
  8. Ryan Higgins Active Member

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I have a Regal Medallion Vise with the bronze stand and traditional head, couldnt ask for a better unit. I see them going on fleabay between $100-$200.

I'm also curious as to scissors and bobbins. Looks like I'll have to try the Anvil scissors and dr.slick bobbins.
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    As thinking of getting a Peak rotary, myself, if I do get one. Preston wrote a great review on the Peak rotary a few years ago. I like that its made in USA. I need to tie up a bunch of flies on my old basic Griffin first, though, to see if I really need to get a new rotary.
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Wow, something has been screwing with my posting. I've been careful to just do one post, but I keep getting double and triples????
  12. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    Anvil scissors are the sharpest scissors I've ever used. Very light, too. Handles are a bit of an issue to some, maybe??? Made in USA. Don Vogel is a great guy.
    Dr. Slick scissors are real slick, albeit quite heavy, and, due to their rounded "ovalish" shape, they can be difficult to pick up from a smooth surface like a desk. I don't think they stay sharp for long as they are not that sharp to begin with. Nice guys at Dr. Slick. Scissors made in Pakistan.
    Vises: so many great choices available. Hard to say. Visit the shops and try em out.
    Bobbins: Norvise bobbin is great if you don't mind buying spools and rewinding threads.
    Ekich bobbin: A great auto-bobbin but pretty much works only with UNI spools.
    Rite: Sweet.
    Many others. Many nice ones.
    I always find myself going back to my thirty + year old Renzettis.

Just my opinions.
    For whatever its worth.
    Jack
  13. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,125 / 4
    I'm a big fan of the Stonfo bobbins. I like, and use the Rite as well, but all my new bobbins will be Stonfo. Mostly because the damn things just fit my hand perfectly

Hard to go wrong with a Traveler in that price range
  14. Joebe New Member

Millville, MA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Started with a Regal, like everyone says it's bullet proof. Chipped the jaws sent it back replaced no questions asked. Still have it. Decided to go true rotary. Bought a Mongoose Vice, didn't like it. The shaft length was tough to get my hands in close. Sold it and bought a Dynaking Barracuda Jr. Awesome vice.
  15. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    As much as I'd like to get a dyna they are a bit out of my price range. I'll look into those bobbins though.

16. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    For scissors and tools, check out sierratradingpost.com. They usually have great deals on Dr. Slick tools. I just keep an eye on the web site - stuff comes and goes, but when it is there, $15 high quality name-brand scissors can be had for $5 bucks once all of the discounts have been applied.

Renzetti vices and Rite bobbins get my vote as well.
  17. Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    I used for many years the DanVise and was very pleased with it altough I knew there were many better ones.
    This year, after many months reading reviews about all vises i could find, I finally decided to order the Jvice from South Africa.
    BUT making a choice for something is ALWAYS a personal matter.
    Budget, what kind of flies, Fresh water or salt, grade of interest in fly tying, traditional or modern styling preferred...and many other aspects you have to consider by making the right choice.
    Maybe not the answer you suspected but something you realy need thinking about before you make any purchase..:(

Hope you will find the right tools you actualy need. I'm very interested in the choice you will make or already have made.

Robbert
  18. lando Member

Phoenix, AZ
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    You can't go wrong with a Peak vise. If you get one, spend the $10 for the D-arm accessory...it makes the rotary function much better.

I only gave up my Peak for a Dyna King Barracuda and wish I'd kept the Peak as a second vise.
  19. Justin Waters New Member

Gig Harbor
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I like the Tungsten Carbide all use Dr. Slick scissors for most of my stuff, then any cheep scissor works for cutting wire and stuff. I keep the scissors in my hand (even when using more specialty scissors) so I have never really have the issue of picking them up off the desk (not really a big issue??). For the bobbins any good fly shop should have a selection to put in your hand, find the ones that actually fit your hand, I think that is more where people find the ONE that is right for them.

A few years back I tried like 5 different brands of bobbins and truthfully went with the Dr. Slick ceramic because it felt the best in my hand. I totally see why the Rite Bobbins have their following though, super awesome idea, I just think I am stuck in my ways with the Dr. Slicks. Any good fly shop should have a selection to put in your hand, find the ones that actually fit your hand, I think that is more where people find the ONE that is right for them.

Renzetti gets my vote, for the sheer fact that they fit everyone, have such good service, and are so easy to tie with.
  20. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    http://flytyingtools.com/

I really dig their tools.

So far my Dr slick tungsten carbide scissors have held up well, but I find myself sharpening my Dr slick razors often. That said, the 5 inch model works well for large cuts, like rabbit strip dubbing loops. I dig my rite bobbin, but still always find myself going to my Wasatch standard for most applications. Agree with the others, go with what feels best.

If you want quality, long lasting steel on your scissors, don't go cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk