Looking to upgrade my vise and tools

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thomas Williams, Nov 19, 2013.

1. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    ...And I love my Renzetti Presentation 2000.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  2. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    We know... just trying to catch up to OMJ!;)
  3. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I purchased the renzetti tube vise recently and not really to impressed with it, don't know about other renzetti models though. Just my opinion

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk 4
  4. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Hey porterHause, I clicked on the link that you provided to the Wasatch Custom Angling site and on their homepage they had an LED tying light advertised under "New Arrivals" for regularly $39.95 but on sale for $29.95.

It looks suspiciously similar to this $10 Ikea light that PatrickH had posted about in this thread: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/led-desk-lamp-for-fly-tying.94823/

Not sayin' they're the same but who knows?

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread. I just thought it interesting that I'd read the post by Patrick and immediately after read this one and looked at your link and saw that light.
  5. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    They look pretty similar to me lol. Focus on the tying tools, not the stuff they're reselling. :)
  6. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +215 / 0
    I had the same dilemma, I tied on a Thompson model A for about 40 years.....then I went to a Renzetti Traveler and have been happy with it, though I still tie on the model A on occasion. Tried the Norevise bobbin for a year but could never warm up to it, use the ceramic bobbins now and am happy...always thought the Dr. Slick scissors were great but maybe I'm not demanding enough....hope that helps
  7. Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
  8. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    triple post
  9. Jack Devlin Active Member

triple post?
  10. Jack Devlin Active Member

Michael v.d.Bogert likes this.
  11. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    My primarily vise is Dyna-King Barracuda Jr and I've tried other vises but still prefer the Dyna-King.. My traveling vise is a Renzetti Traveler .

Dr slick scissors are what I normally use... can't say as I've found any much better but you can probably find some danged fine scissors at a fabric store.

Last year, I replaced all my old spring arm bobbins with Stonfo Disc Drag bobbins (both the normal and larger sizes) and couldn't be happier. I could do a testimonials for those bobbins (distributed by Hareline).
  12. Jack Devlin Active Member

In an earlier post I made in this thread, I guess it sounded like I was bad-mouthing Dr. Slick scissors. Really, I was just expressing my opinion and we all know that opinions are like "you know what" and that we all have one.
    I have seen and used many Pakistan scissors over the years and have never been impressed with any of them. For what the Dr. Slicks cost I guess they are just fine for fly tying. I haven't tried their razor scissors yet. Perhaps I might like them.
    Just an opinion.
    Jack
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pakistan+scissors&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Rd3OUsnWB8nxoASH-ICIAw&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1474&bih=855#fa…