Loomis two-handers

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sloan Craven, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

I've read a couple of articles that say the new Loomis two-handers are the greatest thing since the invention of the two-handed rod. :beer1: Since they've been out for a little while now, I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to take one around the block. I've noticed the price tag is way high compared even to their next line down. Anyone have the inside info?

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

i didnt like the 2 i cast.

3. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

I Dont have one of the new ones yet. Might be on the list when I get some more money.
    I know alot of people have them and someone will chime in with some info. i casted Rob Zelks on the Skagit for a few minutes and Liked it.
    Chris

4. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

I cast a couple of them at the Kaufmans clave last year. I ended up driving back up there for the second day of that clave to cast one in particular again. I would have to say that the 15ft 7/8 wt Greased Line is by far the smoothest rod I have ever touched. Craftsmanship is also Top notch. They actually LOOK like a 1000 dollar rod. Of course....the line that was on it was not doing it any justice. Thankfully, Way Yin loaned me an XLT for a few hours and then this rod came to life. I played around with it again at the last Sandy clave and again I had to put it down because I was afraid my credit card was going to get carried away. I havent had the opportunity to fish with that rod....Nor do I want the opportunity to fish with that rod. Maybe some day I'll have an extra grand sitting around and pick that rod up.....but I dont see an extra grand sitting around any time soon.

SpencesBridge, the last time I ran into him on the Cowlitz was test driving the 16ft 9/10 I think it was. He was casting that rod with a Carron tournament head into the water the boats were fishing on the other side of the river. He is a phenominal caster and he was having a grand time blasting out some truly frightening long casts.

I dont know squat about the other models in the new line up. If its not made for a long belly line.....I dont really feel like test driving it. I havent heard any bad comments from anyone though on ANY of the new line. The ones I played with were truly sweet!!

5. SSPey

SSPey Member

I have 2, and I like them as tools. Unlike the other opinion here, I find the craftsmanship on these rods to be embarrasingly poor. Ugly design from that start (ok, thats an opinion). but undisputable poor execution - open thread wraps, undressed feet, sloppy epoxy, off-center guides, poor cork fitting, questionable ferrule seating. Utterly friggin shameful - but they cast.

6. inland

inland Active Member

They do cast nice. However I don't understand how Loomis can even begin to ask the $$$ for such a POS finish job. These are hands down the WORST in the business. TFO runs circles around them for 1/4 the price.

William

7. Flyjunky

Flyjunky New Member

I can say from first hand experience that these rods cast awesome. I have the 15' 7/8 greased line, the 14' 8/9 greased line, and the 15' 10/11 stinger. Like said before, the 7/8 is a dream to cast. I personally think it feels more like a 8 than a 7 but the new XLT and Delta long both cast great on this rod. Also, I've been told it is a great skagit/shorthead rod. I've only had the 10/11 for a short time and I'm still testing lines but I think this thing is going to be a cannon.

I can't speak for anyone else's rod but all of mine are finished very nicely...no sloppy epoxy, cork is great, and I absolutely love the colors. It's funny because I have a Sage XP single hander and it is the same color blank and threads but I never hear anyone complaining about the looks of the XP.

8. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

The 15'-7/8 and 8/9 Greased line plus the 14' and 15' Deverons all seem to be great performing rods. They are popular here on the Clearwater in Idaho with floating lines.

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I think William has summed up a lot of things in a couple of short statements. Hardy was the first to break the "you gotta be kidding?" :hmmm: barrier with spey rod pricing. That said, it appears a lot of rod manufacturers are trying hard to catch up.

And then you see the other side of the coin; rod makers like TFO on one end, and rods put out by " Burkie" R. B. Meiser and Gary Anderson on the other. At least they're producing rod designs that are totally unique, beautifully finished and true casting/fishing equipment. And reasonably priced for what your getting for your Bucks.

To sum up: how do you justify paying $1,000++ for a fishing rod. Any fishing rod.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

If it costs $1,000 or more, it better be bamboo. Of course, value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. So far, my value computations don't allow plastic fly rods to be worth even $500, let alone twice that. However, that's off topic. I tried a couple Loomis two handers and didn't care for them. My tastes favored rods like Wintston and CND Custom and Solstice series, not the Thompson or Skagit.

11. FT

FT Active Member

I've cast several of the "Greased Line" series and found each of them to have a smooth power application, fast recovering, flex into the middle of the blank (except on long casts with long-belly lines where they flex to the cork), and a medium flexible tip. They are probably going to feel fast to many; but I felt they were more a medium-fast rod. I liked the 15' 8/9 and 10/11, the 16' 9/10, and the 17' 10/11 because they were the fastest ones and also the ones with the stiffest tips. I also cast the Deveron 14' and 15' and found they are fast recovering, fairly stiff, flex a little less than the middle of the blank with most cast. I've not cast the other ones designed for skagit lines because I like a rod with less flex than those designed for skagit lines, nor did I cast the ones designed for Scando casting so I can't comment on them.

However, like William, the ones I saw and cast had pretty poor cosmetics, which I never expected on rods approaching $1000.00.

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

It's kinda funny reading this thread......I know motive and other what not's are involved...but a local fly shop stopped carrying G.Loomis fly rods due to poor cosmetics and craftsmanship...gaps in thread, not covering all thread with epoxy, poor cork ...and a couple other things. This was mainly targeted at the Adventure, Trilogy, and Nautilus series at the time. Personally I have found Sage to be my preference....however I did pick off an 9' foot 8 weight 4 piece GL3.....and it is a damn fine piece of rod in all aspects except to look at...kinda bland. Loomis is a multi purpose rod outfit but I think they need to develop a more aesthetic approach towards their fly rods for the $$$ they charge. They came out with those funky reel seats lately...yuk! ...Sage's rods look good. Like tuxedo's I guess...Black always looks great...stay within the parameters..just my opinion...worth less then .02

13. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Many people are mentioning the threading on G-Loomis rods. G-Loomis actually outsources their rod wrapping to several small companies near SW Washington. Maybe they need to find better sources for their wrapping? Maybe we should let them know about the concerns over the sloppy thread work?

I have never really seen big probs with my G-Loomis rods on their wraps, but I only own a few factory models. All of the rest I build myself using their blanks. Say what you will about their asthetic appeal, but you have to admit they know how to produce pretty awesome blanks.

Their new native run series have some pretty cool looking reel seats on them by the way.

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

Interesting...I was not aware they did that. I have not seen these new native runs rod reel seats except a small picture and a little hard to tell....I just didn't like that two layer metal on wood thing they have going on...buy that's just me I'm sure many love them. :)

15. bigtj

bigtj Member

Sloan,

Anytime you're thinking about buying a rod take a little time to look it over to tell if the finish is crap or not. Let the rod in your hands speak for itself, otherwise other peoples rod's have nothing to do with a rod you're gonna buy. Personally I would never pay $1,000 for a rod that has crappy-finished guides, no matter who makes it. And if for some reason I didn't notice the problem when I bought it, I'd send it back once I did to be convered under the manufacturer's guarantee in workmanship, straight off loomis's website:

"G.Loomis Limited Warranty

G.Loomis rods, custom rod blanks and Syncrotech fly reels are covered by a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner. "

There isn't a whole lot of ambiguity there...bad workmaship and you can send it back.

But then again I wouldn't pay $1,000 for a spey rod, either (I would and have paid $1,000 for a cane rod, but that's a different story). If I wanted a loomis I'd look for something used. There are enough people with disposable incomes out there dumping rods if you really want one you should be able to find it eventually for half-price used. You won't see the newest models this way, and you wouldn't have the warranty, but you'll end up with a great rod. I might be willing to put up with crappy-fishished guides that are functional if I were to save $500 on the rod, although the risk of breaking the rod is something to consider when buying used.

Loomis rods are great casting rods. If you have the dough they're worth at least looking into. Who knows you might just end up liking them better than anything you've tried.

-John

16. FT

FT Active Member

luckybalbowa,

The only problem with Loomis making such great blanks and then putting finished rods out with poor cosmetics or thread wraps is that since Shimano bought them several years ago, only a limited number of blank models are available from them, and none of the GLX blanks can be had. I suspect if they were, Loomis would be selling blanks to people that are now passing them buy because of the finished rod price and the iffy cosmetics.

17. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

I'm feeling your pain on this one. I really wish G-Loomis would offer their full line of blanks to the public, not necessarily because they have shoddy cosmetics, but rather because I prefer to finish my own rods, to give them more of a personal touch.

As of right now, the only loomis spey blank that I have found available is a 10wt IMX....

But, since a couple of months ago, GLX blanks are now available from their single handed models...

18. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Now that I didn't know; but answers why the Venture series of reels are branded under the Shimano name in the UK. One of the best $100.00 reels on the market.

19. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

How DO you justify $1000++ for a fly rod

I'm with Fred on that one. Nice they may be, (Hardy, Loomis, any production rod) these rod companies must think we are all doctors, lawyers, real estate agents or the like to throw money like that around. I passed by that Hardy Angel rod at last years Sandy Clave for that very reason.

The Loomis 15' 7/8 Grease liner was brought down to the river by someone else and ended up in a comparison cast off between it, a CND Soltace 15'-2" (mine) and a Meiser 15' Highlander. All casting the original XLT 7/8 line. These are all very nice rods. But I see no reason the Loomis should cost that much more than the others. None!

20. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

I really like the 16' 9/10. If I can find it for half the retail price I would pick it up. 15' 9/10 was nice to. Thanks Gene!