Loon Outdoors Uv Clear Fly Finish

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jordan Simpson, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    This is just a shameless plug for this product. I know there was an earlier thread on such products and there was debate about how it cured, it's finish, etc.
    Like I had stated in that earlier thread, it does cure a little bit tacky with the UV light but as soon as you expose it to sunlight (the real sunlight) it dries nice and solid and super clear- no fogging.

I just finished tying up a storm of fry for the chum fry hatch and with the supplied needle-tube applicator, application was a breeze and very easily detailed. I tied up a bunch and cured them with the UV light and put them all in my slotted fly box (cured, but still SLIGHTLY tacky to the touch). Once I was done my little tying session I put the box outside in the sun and cleaned up my trimmings/snippets/mess.
    The thing I like the most about this product is how easy it is to use and there is hardly any waste-almost zero waste -(unlike epoxy), and there is pretty much no mess.
    Love this stuff!
  2. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    i wonder if the same outcome would work with the other uv goo products available

gotta try it
  3. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +286 / 1
    You had real sunlight?;)
  4. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
  5. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    That was my initial reaction also, Jeff. I can't afford to move south to find it either. I do want to try the stuff though.
  6. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +231 / 3
    Mark,

That light may work, but from listening to some podcasts with the clear cure goo guys it seems that not all uv lights are created equal, and that using the wrong intensity or wavelength is the most common cause of incomplete curing (which besides leading to soft heads can also lead to yellowing over time).
  7. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    i have cured clear cure goo with the light that come with the bug bond kit and the light that comes with the diamond hard kit. so my personal opinion of ccg saying only their light work only with their product is well......
  8. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Being a novice and never having used the stuff, I am completely in the dark. So please be patient with me here.

I also wondered about the nanameters and size of the lights and
    if sunlight would not be the best to cure the stuff. Of course taking a half completed fly out side into the non existent sunlight might be a problem.
    Not being an engineer type, I wonder if the LEDs used in these lights are issuing the same type of wavelengths and if not, how that affects the curing of the adhesive.

I also see there are different types of flashlights that they sell for this
    purpose. One is a flashlight size device and the other is a small tube that only takes one battery apparently.

Thirdly, there is quite a price spread in the cost of the lights.
  9. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    Good point, Doc.
    That my be true considering I use Loon and not Clear Goo and my light seems to have the right low light Nm's for it.
    I'll have to get some 'Goo and see what happens......
  10. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Pardon me for another question. If the adhesives are not the same in composition, and perhaps the wave length of the UV light affects the curing, could this not lead to a real problem with future applications?

Given todays QC controls in some companies, it could be a real crap shoot buying a refill.

This is not ment to be a negative statement about any particular company
    but with so many imported products, I do not have a lot of consumer confidence.
  11. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    I've heard of other spectrums above 400 nm not working adequately. Bug Bond uses the Nighthawk, 395 nm LED UV, which is similar to this light.
  12. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Another question that comes to mind is with what substrates will these adhesives bond well. Polypropylene comes to mind.

I see where Loon has marketed three different UV cured adhesives not counting their paints. One for knots, one for wader repair and one for boat repair. I am wondering what is the difference, if any, between these adhesives?

So many questions. I never had them with the old Dave's products.
  13. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    One thing I have noticed between the two Loon UV products I use (Knotsense and Clear Fly finish) is that the UV Knotsense sometimes doesn't cure as hard or solid as the CFF. Maybe it's just me or the bottle of Knotsense that I have, but I find the knotsense is a little softer.

As for the different UV lights, I'm not even entirely sure how good/great the one by Loon Outdoors is. Yes, I use it, and it does cure the flies pretty much instantly but they still have a slight tackiness to them until I expose them to actual sunlight...
  14. guitarfisher Jeff W.

SLC, UT
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Regarding the post-cure residual tackiness: I use the Loon Knotsense and have found that a light swipe of isopropyl alchohol cleans it off nicely. This is a tip I picked-up from one of the multitude of tying websites.
  15. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I would suppose that isopropyl alcohol would dissipate and not leave a scent on the fly.

Perhaps that soft finish is to leave some flexibility in the line or leader.
    But then again, maybe knot.
  16. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +356 / 0
    I also use Loon and asked them the difference between their UV products. Loon told me the products are all the same and the different names are simply so customers know the many uses.

Like Duff beer.... Duff light, Duff Genuine Draft, Duff Golden. All flow from the same pipe
  17. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ahahaha, I can totally picture that episode of the Duff beer brewery!

I've wondered about that, but I do actually find that the Knot-Sense is a little more runnier when I've applied it. Maybe it's just my bottle that's like that. I used to use the Knot sense for finishing heads on baitfish and found it a little too runny/thin and it would go through the wing material on my baitfish heads when trying to tie Popovic-esque flies. With the CFF it's more thick/pliable and I find doesn't just seep through the wing and I can actually shape/build heads.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  18. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +638 / 2
    Good discussion! I have to get some of this stuff - I hate epoxy - but love tying epoxy back nymphs. do you guys know if you can color the goo? My friend bought about a 100 epoxy back nymphs for cheap and they had a brown epoxy back on them. those flies rocked the fish! someone stole his box so we only have a few left. they were great under indi's early on lakes for the callibeatis nymph.
  19. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    I have never used the stuff Mark, so take my comments as a grain of salt.
    But I have seen Davie McPhale tint the back of scuds with a marking pen.
    I have to say that they looked fishy to me, but the color was only external.

I too would like to try some, but I want to do a little more research on it.
    There are several other companies that market UV adhesives, and some are
    less stressful on the purse, but Loon seems to have done their homework and direct their sales to the fly tying and fishing market.
  20. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    Unless Loon has changed its formula it will turn opaque in a year.