Loop for shank type flies

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Salmo_g, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I should have paid closer attention . . . not that it's ever happened to any of you. I stick pretty much to tradition for my flies and have never tied a tube fly or a "shank" fly. I like the concept of using a short shank hook on a long streamer fly, so I want to tie some streamers on old hooks I have laying around that I can cut the bend and point off. Do most dressers use mono for the loop of line from which the short shank hook hangs? How heavy a test? And is the monofilament just whipped to the long hook shank with tying thread? Should I use some glue or fly tying cement? If I don't fish this weekend, I plan to try tying some flies in this style, and while experimentation is fine, I'd prefer to attach the loops securely enough so that they won't strip free.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I've seen this done many different ways, but here is what i've done:

mono - for bigger salmon\steelhead flies: 20-30lb. If I want the fly to stick nearly straight back \ stiff

Power Pro \ Dacron \ other braided material: if I want the hook to be able to move around more such as on a string leech.

For string leeches with Dacron type lines, I lay a base of thread and super glue it. Then I take about 10 inches of dacron and do a loop connection on my trailer hook leaving equal tag ends. I run the tag ends parallel to the front hook shank (one strand on either side) and line up so that the trailer hook is the right distance back (I like it at the end or within 1/2 and inch max from the tip of my rabbit strip). Estimation works fine with this approach. Tie down the 2 tag ends and wrap securely up to the eye. You should have about an inch or so of tag end left. Fold this back along the hook and wrap back down. Add more glue. Let dry. Note - you should know ahead of time if you want your hook pointing up or down - I choose based on the type of fly i'm doing.

For mono - I'm not as confident in the above approach. I will often loop through the leading eye for extra security.

3. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    I would use dacron (20lb), mono (20lb) or Fire line. Fire line is cool because it is dark grey and wont show in your darker patterns. I usually just use dacron though because I have a ton of it.

For the shank, instead of ruining a hook, look for waddington shanks, or spinner blanks. I tie my dacron forward first then fold it back and secure it down. Then I will add some head cement at the back.

I also like to make the dacron long enough to switch out the trailing hook.

4. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Salmo-G,

A technique worth exploring is to furl your trailing hooks using #15 or #20lb Amnesia Leader Material.

Hywel

5. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    20 or 30 pound fireline and connect it with kevlar thread. It works for me.
    Chris