Loop "Green" spey rods, anybody own one?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by willapabay, Nov 3, 2005.

1. willapabay

willapabay New Member

I noticed that John And Amy Hazel in Oregon sell Loop Spey Rods, don't know a thing about them except they are a more costly rod than some others.. specifically interested in knowing about the quality of the Blue and Green Series.. thanks, Ron

2. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    They are very fast!!! I think you need to make the trip on a Saturday morning
    to the River Run Anglers get together or at least give Aaron a call.
    He will give you a detailed run down on all the rods you have been asking about. 425-333-4446

3. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Loop's spey rods start at $300 bucks which is the yellow series, so they actually arent that expensive. Never casted them though.

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I have two yellows and a green. Played with the blue and that is a fine rod. They are faster rods, especially the green. Actions are more uniform through out the rod as opposed to variable like the newer spey rods. I like my loops because after casting other rods I can go back to the yellow and get back to my basics on the cast. In other words, my casting will self destruct after awhile and when I go back to what I know seems to help me get my rhythm back. Price makes the entry level, but they cast like a 800 dollar rod.

5. mile2885

mile2885 Member

I just got a Loop blue line 14' 9wt. Love it! It is a beautiful rod. Much better than I expected. I was looking at the Scott LS2 15' 9wt but $595 was a tad more than I wanted to spend. Picked up the Loop brand new on ebay for $300. The rods come with a one year no questions asked warranty and an additional 24 year warranty against faulty material or workmanship.

6. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Hey Matt, glad to see you're a around. You been getting a chance to use those loops of yours lately?

7. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Ron, I've got to agree with the guys who suggested a trip to River Run Anglers in Carnation on a Saturday. You can get some free instruction from some of the best casters around, test cast a mess of rods, lines and reels and have a great day. Bring your waders and rain jacket and have a ball. Aaron can answer almost every question you have about spey rods, lines etc and really put you ahead of the learning curve. All it's gonna cost you is gas money unless you stop in that Bar/Cafe in Fall City for one of their burgers. I make sure I stop there every time I head that way. Nothing like a good juicy burger to make a cold day on the water seem more pleasant.

REE

8. FT

FT Active Member

Ron-

Loop makes 2-handed rods of many different actions. The Loop Green series are fast recoverying, stiff, fast-actioned rods somewhat like T&T's and the older pre-Greased Line series Loomis GLX's. The Loop Blue series is a moderate-fast acton with a medium-fast recovery and is medium stiff. The Loop Blues are the favorite rods of Dana Sturn of Vancouver, BC (one of the few 2-hand certified casting instructors in the world). The Loop Yellow series are a moderate action, moderate recovery, slightly on the slow side of moderately stiff. The newest Loops the Grey series are very fast recovering with a stiffness and action between the Loop Blue and Yellow series rods. There is also the Loop Black series are full-flexing, moderate recovering, slower rods.

As has been mentioned, the Loops have a nice even action and load the blank in a very smooth, progressive manner with increasing casting loads.
    From lowest priced to highest priced they are Black, Yellow, Blue, Green, and Grey.

Comparing them to Sage, the Yellows are somewhat like the 9140 "greenie", the Blacks like the old 9140-4 "brownie", the Blues somewhat like the 9141 (but smoother), the Greens between the Sage 9141 and the TCR 2-handers, and the Greys are between the 9141 and 9140 "greenie".

My favorite Loops are the Greens; but I like fast, stiff rods and most folks I know prefer the Blues because they are a more moderately stiff, medium-fast rod.

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

Is it true they colored the loop yellow rods that for video and other visual demonstration and learning techniques? (I heard or read that somewhere ...I think) I have not casted these rods but they did seem to have nice components for the price.

10. FT

FT Active Member

Porter,

You are correct. Loop was asked to produce a lighter colored rod by a few UK spey casting instructors (Falkus was one of them) so their students could more easily see what the rod was doing and so the instructor could more easily see what the student was doing with his rod. These yellow 2-handers originally were the blue series colored yellow; but I understand the intructors wanted a rod with a little slower action to help new to spey casting students better feel the rod load. This is why the Loop Yellows are moderately slow and the Blues and moderately fast. At any rate, Loop added them as a normal production item because many of the students wanted them after using them in a spey casting class.

Now Loop has Green series rods available for casting instructors in a white finish, as does T&T. Dana had a 14' Loop green in the white coloration with him at Aaron's Speyfair. These white ones from Loop and T&T are very much special order items and they will only be made for instructors.

11. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:
    Aaron has a white Meiser also. Shows up great on video.

12. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    I actually cast a Loop 'green' rod today at Aarons. I think that it was the 12'4. It was a nice, easy casting rod.

I've been casting the Loop rods lately, and I'm very impressed. Its a nice lineup of rods, interesting lines too.

13. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    Loop Green 14ft 9 wt

I have been using a Loop Green on the Try Rack for over three years.
    Used exclusively for about four months during my evaluation of period for the comparative studies against some other rods.
    The action is fairly facts crisp with a good self dampen action due the to High modulus of the Graphite.
    Good choice for those who like a dependable faster action rod for most fishing situation.

The Loop Yellow is a much mainlined just because of the color.
    I have two a 14ft and a rare 15ft.
    I use these rods for demonstration and digital evaluation of my student’s casting.
    Most excellent rod for most people casting styles. This is a very forgiving rod.

Loop Blue is another good rod has a crisp clean action allowing of good line speed and easy casting. In the longer length the Blue’s power is unsurpassed to may rods can match it’s duality.

Loop Grey is the Cadillac of the Loop line.
    Great self dampening rod with the power to deliver neat tight loops.
    Tip to middle action leaning toward a medium fast type of recovery.
    This would be a very good rod for a all around choice.

I hope this helps
    :cool:

14. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

I have a loop "black" 8/9 12'4". It works great for me. It casts a floater and tips very well. Price was not all that bad either.

Anyfish

15. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    what is the Goran Anderson Rod like?