NFR Loops for shooting heads

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by delawarean, Aug 20, 2012.

1. delawarean

delawarean New Member

There are many ways of preparing a loop on a shooting head line e.g. welded, shrink tubing, china finger, thread wrapped, nail knots etc. I'm looking for the best way in your opinion OR a new way.

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Braided mono using the chinese finger trap is the best way IMHO.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    This is about fly fishing....Why is it a NFR thread??

Your talking about lines for casting flies.

4. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

A braided loop is as good as any. Secure its tail end with an inch of served thread wraps rather than shrink tubing: stronger and more compact. Coat the wrappings, of course.

I also frequently make served loops. Strip an inch of line coating off with a heavy mono "garrotte." Fold the line into a small loop; make continuous serves with a fly tying bobbin and tying thread (which I also use on the braided loops). Make continuous wraps. Also coat with any flexible, waterproof glue.

5. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    My experience is that welded loops are smoother on the guides. I bought a line at Red Shed and Poppy welded the loops for me. I liked the result so bought his welding kit and did my other lines. Thought it would be tough but wasn't bad after a couple of practice loops. There have been a couple of good, recent threads over on spey pages on this topic.

6. delawarean

delawarean New Member

OLD MAN---- I'm sorry-I dont know what NFR means???

7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    NFR = Not Fishing Related

For topics that are probably of interest to the guys around here, but that don't have anything to do with fly fishing.

8. Preston

Preston Active Member

I've always found a doubled, braided monfilament loop (that is, a braided mono loop formed using a darning needle, where both legs of the doubled portion are of equal length) to work well and be very durable. I insert the fly line all the way up to the base of the loop and secure it with two 10-turn nail knots over a total (braid-over-line) length, of only about 1 1/2 inches; trim away the frayed ends of the braided mono as close as possible to the end of the last nail knot. No glue, Pliobond or Aquaseal necessary, this loop is compact enough to go through the guides with a minimum of interference. As for strength, the line will break before the loop fails. IMG_0546.JPG