Loreto?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Randy Lindahl, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Randy Lindahl Member

:P
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Hello
    I'm headed down to Loreto in a couple weeks and wondering if anyone has information on guides and gear that I will need. I'm continuing my search here and on other sites.
    Thanks in advance :)
  2. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    If you aren't using a service, find a gude named "Nacho." The dude knows his stuff but may well be very busy. He runs two boats. Other than that, I'd try Baja Big Fish Company. It's run by a gal named Pam and her husband. They have always had good success and their guides are really good, as well. Look them up on the net.
  3. Ping Shen New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I typically use fast sinking integrated shooting heads like the Rio custom cut T-14, T-8, etc. Yeah, I use the "coldwater" lines and have not had a problem at all, and I'm typically there in July. From what I've seen over the years down there, the fast sinking lines always outfish the floating and the intermediate lines. And, when the bigger fish are below the smaller fish, you'll be glad you have it.

Rod weight depends on what you're after and how big they are - I've caught Dorado on anything from a 5wt to a 10wt. Straight 30lb is fine for leader, or straight 40-50lb for the heavier stuff.

Store bought patters, Mark's Sardina and Thalken's Cruisers (shad or sardine color) have done really well for me down there. Mark's, more so when there is live sardina as chum. The Thalken's nailed a cruising 45lb Dorado last year, with no chum, sight cast to at the surface over a few hundred FOW. I also usually do well with 2/0 sheep hair clousers, blue/white or pink/white. Bring some small clousers (4, 6) for casting the shorelines if you want - that's always fun and you never know what you'll pull up (trigger fish, sgt majors, creole fish, cabrilla, lady fish, are a few that I've seen)...a lot of people like RDCFs, though I've had mixed results.

If you want I'd also bring a heavy spinning outfit with some big crankbaits for trolling - more effective than trolling a fly and thus much better at locating and attracting fish that you can (hopefully) cast a fly to (hand the spinning rig to the guide).

I usually go with Abrahn, who I find via Daniel at the Hotel Oasis, but Baja Big Fish, as mentioned above, would be a good bet, too. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
  4. Randy Lindahl Member

Wow!...thanks a lot Steve and Ping. It's always so helpful to get info from other that have been there before. I will look up Nacho ASAP
  5. 9iron Member

Ratings: +21 / 0
    I've fished with Juan Murillo, captain of the panga Teresa, and his son Jorge Murillo, captain of the panga Katy. These guys have esp when it comes to knowing where fish are, it's amazing and unlike any other boat captains I've seen in the area. I've fished in Loretto a lot and never caught fish like I did with these two men. Amazing. You can find info on all of the panga captains through the panga co op at the Loretto marina. They probably have an email and /or website by now. It's been a few years since I've been down there. The hotel Oasis will take good care of you, nice place to stay. Best fish tacos in town is McLulu's, a little shack on one of the neighborhood streets in town. Worth looking them up.
  6. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +202 / 0
    Funny you should ask, we just got back Friday night. My personal recommendation is to contact Pam at Baja Big Fish, as we had an outstanding time. I fished with Alberto Macia-David, who doesn't speak much English, which was ideal for me, since my Spanish is still good. Alberto or "Guero" put in more time and energy than anyone I've seen down there. We fished longer, caught more fish, saw more dolphins etc. than anyone. We went to see Nacho Quintero about buying a boat Friday morning, who told me that he's more available this year for some reason, and I was impressed by his program as well. So, if you're at at all comfortable with speaking Spanish, or believe me that it won't matter with Guero, ask Pam or Nacho to fish with him.

We caught Dorado aplenty, my biggest was weighed at 29.5 pounds 6 hours after I caught it, so I'm calling it a 30. Jim got a couple of 26's, we had Gallos, Cocineros, Bonitas, Cabrillas, and on and on. 7 species in one day. I missed a take on a marlin that would have kicked my ass.
    I use a 12 wt most of the time, as you never know who's coming to the party, but I carry lighter rods too.

Anil at Puget Sound Fly Co organized the trip through BajaBigFish, and I compliment him on a job well done. I'd ask him about equipment and patterns.

It was warm.

Pm me for more details.

Attached Files:

Denny and Dan Cuomo like this.
  7. Dan Cuomo Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Way to go, Don!
  8. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Randy, looking forward to your fishing report when you return!
  9. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    Nice fish Don!. We didn't have all that much luck earlier. No sargasso, no baitfish. We did get lots of big skipjacks, however and a few Dorado but it was a very slow week as a whole.
  10. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    I was just starting to get good in August Steve. It was hit and miss, but we had fish every day, and a couple of times we found good schools in the weeds. High point was the last day, playing my sixth Dorado in a row with my left hand, while tossing sardines with my right to keep them on the surface. I have a guide I can recommend.
  11. Randy Lindahl Member

Thanks for the information everyone! After arriving on Saturday the 24th I was met with rain and winds from tropical storm Ivo. That was quite an adventure with all the flooding and winds. Needless too say...They wouldn't let us out until out until the following Friday and I went out Saturday after setting everything up with Pam. The morning was slow and after bringing in a Cabrillas we got into some Dorato. being my first time out I brought only one rod and line and have learned better...My cast was right in front of the school and as the fish immediately leaped out of the water and started his run, the nail knot the good ol' retailer tied a week prior came apart without any problem. Not even a snap...just unraveled in seemed like slow motion. There is now a 3.5'-4' Doroto swimming around the Sea of Cortez with a 350 grain sink tip and a bull clouser. So ended my day and first trip down. My Neighbors down there did real well on the 2 days they fished.
  12. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ouch!! Randy, painful lesson. Nail knots are for trout. I'll recommend the guys at PSFCo again. They always test backing connections if they didn't do it themselves. You should see the jaws drop when they pop them apart easily. Loop to loop is much stronger and require special attention for salt water use. Sorry about the bad break, but now you've seen how fun it can be. I apologize for the pun also.
  13. Ping Shen New Member

Seattle, WA
    Nail knots can work 100% fine for pelagics if tied correctly. I've used nail knots to attach a short section of stiff fluoro with a perfection loop to connect an un-looped head of my fly line to my leader. Never had one pop off.
  14. Ping Shen New Member

Seattle, WA
    Sorry to hear about the weather - always the one big unknown with fishing. Typically with Loreto I like to go in early July - I find the fish to be a little less beat up and the weather a tad more stable (now I probably just jinxed myself...).