Lost Lake reprise

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Roper, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +764 / 1
    The last time I was at Lost Lake it was cold, windy, and raining. To make matter worse I forgot my fingerless gloves and rain jacket. Thank goodness for friends with two of everything. This visit was markedly different. Mind you, the temperature was only in the high 20's to low 30's. The sun however was promising warmth to come soon. Can you see the frost on the deck?

[IMG]

It didn't take very long for the first tugs on my line and I had a brightly colored brookie in my net.

[IMG]

There was a light breeze on the water, just enough to hide my line and leader. The shore was ablaze with gold from the tamaracs.

[IMG]

One after another these little gems, came to the fly and my net. Deep dark vermiculation with brilliant blue and red spots. Fins tipped in white, I love these fall fish.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The wind quit and the lake got still. The patterns on the water were mesmerizing. The distant shores were mirrored in the still water.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The fish kept my line tight and a smile on my face. This photo belies the size of the fish, it taco'd away from the camera suggesting it's smaller that it was...honestly.

[IMG]

After a short lunch break I returned to the water but the bite had slowed and eventually gave up. I bailed and headed for the Chesaw Tavern for a cold beer. After a pint of Alpine Brewing's Tamarac Ale I headed home. The sunset that night rivaled the colorful fish I caught in the morning hours. The moon rose over the house only to steal some of the brilliance of the stars that night. Who knew the moon was a thief...?

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Haven't been through Chesaw in over 3 decades. Your post reminded me it's time to revisit. Thank you!
  3. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Great report Roper! Once again raising the bar. 'Can't touch that', but in one's attempt, remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.;)
  4. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +259 / 0
    Thanks for all that, especially the great pics! You missed your calling as a pro photographer. That brought back some fun memories from spring. BTW, the cabin looks lonely without Salzer passed out on the gravel! :D
  5. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +198 / 0
    I wasn't passed out, I tripped - I think... Ya could have helped me up or, at least, scrapped the frost off.....Just saying.

So, ya can't hold a fish so others can take a picture but you do some great self shots. Aren't ya squeezing that fish a bit much?

The colors sure have changed in the last month.
  6. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch

Well, it was gonna get away just like they always do...BTW, George says "hello"

[IMG]
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  7. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 8
    Those are amazing colors!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
  8. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,033 / 0
    Nice pic of the cabin Roper. Are there frozen boots in that red bucket?

Ive
  9. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Darned close, it dropped down into the 30's a couple of nights, but no ice just yet. New boots are in order, no more leather for me...:rolleyes:
  10. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Very nice Roper! Fall is so beautiful over here. Looks like my kinda place to fish...
  11. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +404 / 0
    Thanks for the report and the pictures, Roper.

Great pictures. Just love the East side. My butt is here but my heart is over there.
  12. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +233 / 0
    very nice report and pictures Roper! Brings to mind the spring trip where we were all into fish, but that darned Tim Lockhart was catching about 2 to my 1! I'm in Winthrop right now and contemplating casting for some steel in the Methow if I can get all these projects done before the snow falls! Rick
  13. JasonG Active Member

Issaquah Wa
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Awesome pictures and some good looking fish. Thank you for sharing!
  14. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Rick has become quite a photo guy and is continuing to take some great pics. I just have to get one with him actually holding a fish.... All I seem to get are empty hands.

MB
  15. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ya gotta move fast...speaking of moving, I thought you were Dry Falls bound...?
  16. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Leaving later today. I do still work, unlike some people I know.
  17. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Who has time to work? You need to ween yourself off of that!
  18. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I do pretty well, just got to get better at it.