Lost my cool on a beach today

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ed Call, May 30, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Thanks for all the kind words from those willing to support the conservation and protection of the SRC. Not really sure I'm proud of my reactionary results yesterday, but the fish swam off seemingly fine and no blows were thrown. Not sure it was the smartest thing to do, or that I'd react the same again next time, but what is done is done.

Wollybooger, generally after someone's first post I offer greetings. I'll keep that consistent here. Welcome to the forum. Nice to see you disagree with my actions, discussions often are better with opposing views. I could have fished another beach seeing this guy down there. I had no problem sharing that stretch of sand and gravel, but I did have a problem with what I saw him doing. He likely had a problem with what he saw me doing too.

By the way, did we meet yesterday under tense circumstances and would you like your pixie spoon back? Serisoulsy though, perhaps some day you and I will share a beach, maybe even a beer. You'll realize I'm not a dick hell bent on ruining someone elses time on the beach. I'll be the guy who is looking an awful lot like my avatar...and you note my real name is there too.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=20534&highlight=mouth

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Ed, you did the right thing. Sometimes that's better than worrying about disturbing the "harmony"...

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Always the gentleman (well, most of the time, lol, and I for one support your action.), Ed. I'm looking forward to meeting you. Hindsight affords a variety of options; unfortunately, the cuttie would have died and the gent that abused him would have missed-out on a sorely-needed education that obviously left an impression (hence his swift departure). We'll tag-team . . . hell, if we were to whip-off our hats in unison on a sunny day, we could blind a battalion . . . solar defense?

4. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Nice Ed!! Thanks for taking a stand. I think there is a difference between reacting to something you feel passionate about and just getting angry because of your own personal issues. I just hope he learned something in the process. If we don't take a stand with folks that don't give a rat's ass about this precious resource, then there will be a lot more of that kind of activity. Maybe next time he'll think twice.

Next beer is on me :beer2:

Cheers,

Matthew

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Hey Ed, your the man! I don't know if I would be brave enough to do that. There seem to be a few extra whacko's around these days. Be careful.

By the way, %$#&*@#%$ lake was fishing like crap Saturday anyway. You didn't miss a thing. :)

6. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Ed,
    Protecting our fish is really up to all of us, and you did the right thing by taking that fish down to the water and helping it as much as you could. A lot of wingnuts don't realize how delicate our sea-run fishery really is. And quite a few more don't see anything wrong with keeping fish and breaking the law.
    Fish and Wildlife enforcement officers do their best, but there are fewer of them than 20 years ago -- and there are a lot more of us.
    So, good for you.
    I was doing a story on the Skokomish River summer chinook fishery a couple of years ago, and a guy got mad at me because I told him the limit was one fish -- and he already had one stashed in the cooler in his truck. This guy threatened me with an epic ass-kicking. The Skok is a combat fishery, and there were a lot of people there.
    I told him that I didn't fish the river, but I did care about the fish. I asked him why he thought it was OK to break the law. Then I told him to go for it -- but to be ready to go home with some damage -- win or lose. And then he could expect a visit from the cops -- and a letter from my lawyer.
    I was pretty hot at this point, and he just walked off. I haven't been in a fight since university days, and I was a little shook up for the rest of the afternoon. I hated how I felt afterwards, but I would have hated not saying anything....
    My great uncle A.O. Hill always told me that fishing and hunting showed the real person faster than just about anything else....

7. Jeff Peacock

Jeff Peacock Member

Good on ya Ed.
    Just glad the bozo didn't thump you when you bent over tending to your little friend :eek:

8. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Media:
    Gosh Ed why did you yell at me yesterday?

9. uncoolperson

uncoolperson *splash* *splash* *splash*, I need a life vest

I'd remove this thread if I were you, with the right complaint you could find yourself on the wrong end of the law.

although I know nothing of the SRC regs, the right attorney could probably hurt you with http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.210

again, I know nothing of SRC laws or regs pertaining to where you are, so maybe you'd be covered under 3 (a) or (b). Though 4 could probably still hurt.... I'd say play it safe and press delete.

Wish I had lost the spoon, the collection is kinda low... offer it up to a part-time gear guy?

crazy gun dude in me says don't try this.
    you just proved that you're willing to break the law (atleast from that person's point of view) over something like fishing.
    you were probably just a touch visibly irritated
    maybe someone that isn't an armchair lawyer (won't ever claim to know law that well) would chime in, but I'd say a jury would agree with him if he'd have drawn a firearm on you.

10. Brian James

Brian James New Member

Media:
    Good on ya Ed. Saint and saviour. I admire your actions.

uncool: I think you missed the point. And if I was on a jury and was told this story I certainly would side with Ed.

11. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Nice work, Ed. A great example for all of us to not sit back and look the other way when the regs are not being followed, (especially in the matter of a fragile fishery). Glad that nothing had to be done to "knock" more sense in the guy, and that he didn't come after you at all. Also, I wouldn't consider it losing your cool at all
    :beer2:

12. uncoolperson

uncoolperson *splash* *splash* *splash*, I need a life vest

I didn't miss the point at all, if the guy with the fish was breaking the law something needed to be done... I wouldn't go this route because shoes switched (provided the guy thought he was in the right) I'd have drawn. Pictures/video and a call to someone that deals with this is a good idea.

what are the regs for fishing that area (reiterating that I'm not familiar with this subject thing, I know the regs to lakes I fish and that's about it)?

all in all I'm just saying I'd nuke this thread to protect ED if it's possible he could get charged with something, especially since he uses his name.

13. Ed Call

Media:
    Uncoolperson, thanks for the totally non-applicable RCW. If it were legal to keep SRC and I cock blocked him then I'd be guilty. If it was his property then I'd be guilty. If he is pissed about losing his pixie spoon and four feet of line then I'd like to see that court summons. Flame me all you want with your boy Woolybooger (who is probably actually the banned or parked Hooker under a new log on). As for delete, no thanks. This is just text on a web page, you got video of the dude kicking the fish up the beach or me biting his line off and releasing the fish deliberately waist deep in the water? Witnesses? Anyway, I did what I did, maybe I owe the guy for four feet of line and a pixie spoon.

14. John Hilt

John Hilt YeeeeHaaw

Ed, :thumb:

15. Ed Call

Media:
    Uncool, actually thanks for thinking of ways to keep my ass out of trouble. I'm sure that is what you were doing. I'm still cool with what I did and am confident that I did not strike the dude or impede his legal harvest of fish.

16. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    UCP, I can understand if you are trying to protect Ed, but Ed in no way was in violation of any RCW. So it's all good my man!!! Keep up the good work Ed, you may have lost your cool but it was for a worthy cause!

17. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    Mumbles,
    passionate men of conscience and action will always be criticized by the small-and-narrow minded. WTF, all's well. Glad he didn't bust a cap in your ass.
    It's Miller time baby.:D

:thumb:,
    Bob

18. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Nice job Ed.

19. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

good story ed,
    glad things didn't escalate, and really glad to hear about a guy (you) standing up for something. that guy's (possible) ignorance isn't an excuse, the fact that he took off as you were helping him release the SRC, tells me he had an idea that he was in the wrong

20. KID

KID n00b

All hail Mumbles, brave SRC guardian of "the beach area near his house"ptyd

The fish gods are pleased with you my friend!