Lost my license...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Rolfe, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    Will my catch record card work as a record of having bought one? You kind of need to have a license to get a catch card right? Or do I just need to go buy a replacement.

Just wondering. I checked the WDFW website and didn't really find anything useful.

Jason
  2. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +255 / 2
    Go to where you bought it(or if through the mail call WDFW) and they can print you out another for a marginal fee I can imagine. I have done it in other states.
  3. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +256 / 0
    I had my wallet stolen a number of years ago, along with my license. It was an easy process to just go to my local sporting goods store (Shoffs - for all you historians) and get a duplicate made. That was way before things were computerized. I'm guessing it shouldn't be too difficult to get it replaced. Good luck.
  4. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +276 / 1
    Don't need no stinking license.
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  5. Brett Angel Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Jason, you need to replace the actual license and it can be done anywhere they sell licenses. You always need a copy of your license on you, not in your car or laying at home on the desk.
  6. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +344 / 0
    Copy/paste from the WDFW website (remember that a dealer fee is also added):
    DUPLICATE FEES
    License $9.70
    Transport Tag $8.20
    Catch Record Cards $12.10
  7. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Yep, been there, done that. It is simple, but they get ya. In Montana, on a nonres license, it only cost me $2. Just one more reason...
    Old Man likes this.
  8. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +891 / 1
    Your lost license is only valid for 9 more days.
  9. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Oooh, I didn't even think of that, Bill!

Good catch!!! :)
  10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,129 / 0
    9 more days? Your fishing license expires at the end of March???
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Yep. License runs from 4/1 to 3/31.
  12. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +168 / 0
    I miss Shoffs.

MB
    Greg Armstrong and Steve Call like this.
  13. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,129 / 0
    Weird. In Oregon your license is valid from the first day to the last day of the current calender year.
  14. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    We used to have it the Oregon way and it was changed so one license was good for one complete season.
  15. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Our fishing seasons/regulations run from May 1 to April 30.

Licenses are valid April 1 to March 31.

Back when the licenses were just issued for the calendar year, folks would have to purchase their licenses before the actual seasons and regulations were determined. As a former marina operator and license issuer, I remember all too well the bitchin' when folks who'd already shelled out good money for their licenses found out their favorite fisheries were reduced or closed altogether. The state finally got wise and made the license period more closely match the regulation period.
  16. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    It more matches the hunting licenses.
  17. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    When I had my fishing backpack stolen this year, I was a little annoyed to find out having another license printed was $10. Does anyone know the justification for this? $10 is certainly not nominal and there's no way it's to cover printing costs.
  18. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +358 / 0
    Seriously?

Besides the obvious paper and printing costs, what about the wages of the person helping you out, the cost of running the facility, the internet connection, the database software, the wages of the person maintaining that database to ensure they can verify you bought a license?

I think that for $10 they are letting you off pretty easy for the service provided.
    Slipstream likes this.
  19. The Dude Member

SW WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    One of the few things I like about Colorado game regulations. They use your DL# with your fishing/hunting license and as long as you have your DL with you a Gamewarden can determine youre legal, and they do not require you to have it on you as long as it can be verfied.
    John Hilt likes this.
  20. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    Should be factored into the license when you buy it. By your reasoning, 1/3 of a yearly freshwater license ($10) goes to licensing overhead? I understand the database is costly to maintain and the equipment is expensive, but the dealer gets their fee on top of it and the benefit of giving people an excuse to come into your store. But as long as that system already exists to provide people their licenses, a reprint shouldn't produce any additional costs.