Lostine, minam river, eagle cap wilderness

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Grant Richie, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Grant Richie

Grant Richie Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am think about a trip into the Minam river going south and then crossing over to the Lostine River and heading back out of it to the north. Anyone have any experience in there. Mainly, what kind of weather could a guy expect in late August? Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    I've been in there a few ways. Last year I went into the Red's Horse Ranch area but it was spring conditions with high water. So I'm afraid I don't have any fishing reports for the Minam. I have also hiked into Minam and Mirror Lakes via the Lostine River trail. There is great dry fly fishing in the Lostine for small fish in the 6 to 12 inch range. A 2-3 wt would be ideal and the Lostine River valley is a beautiful setting. There are fish in the lakes as well. I can't wait to get back to the upper Minam River to prospect for a little bigger fish. It's a bigger river than the Lostine and I would guess there might be less people in the upper section then the upper Lostine, as the upper Lostine is a more direct route to the lakes basin area which see's high use.

Weather should be nice, even hot in August. Thunder storms are common.

3. 2506

2506 Active Member

Heading in to Red's Thursday for a long weekend. Anybody got any fly recommendations?

4. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Be prepared, as it can snow any month of the year in the Eagle Cap Wilderness.

5. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    Fish your favorite terrestrials and attractor patterns. Caddis, stimulators, humpies, hoppers. Have fun.

6. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

Media:
    I fished the lostine a few years back and some surrounding creeks and lakes. Great fishing, just be prepared for crazy weather and some chilly nights. Fun though