Lots of follows, no strikes

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by fish farmer, Sep 21, 2005.

1. fish farmer

fish farmer New Member

A buddy and I have been fishing from my boat the last few nights near the narrows and have had a ton of adult silvers follow our flies to the boat, but they will not grab em. We are fishing tube flies on sink tips and the fish seem to like the pattern enough to chase it for thirty or forty feet, but they all seem to lose interest before they hit. I have been using the two handed eratic strip, the quick single hand strip, and just about everything inbetween. In the last three nights, we have been denied by at least 50 fish. I can't take much more of this abuse, any advice?

2. MrP

MrP Member

Media:
    Stay home and watch the Mariners. No, that would be even worse. Tie some flies. But then you'd just think about those stubborn fish. Are you married? Act like you've decided to fish less because you're feeling thoughtful (and romantic) If none of that works for you try a Clouser or a weighted pattern of some sort. Get your fly to drop suddenly, strip, then do it again.

3. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    Fish can make you nuts!
    Every once in a while try a nice double haul, plus release loose line into the current if any is available. Place the rod under the arm and do a hand over hand quick strip. This often seems to cause their "get it before it gets away,"
    nature.
    It is impossible to strip faster than this method.

Don

4. Skeena88

Skeena88 Member

Try some small flies,like euphasids, or coho candy, or one of my favorites, just a rusty orange body with a white hair wing. By small I mean 6, 8 and 10. I've also had fish take a floating baitfish tube fly "dead drifted". Just let it float in the film. Discovered that one by accident :)

5. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Are you sure you're not slowing your retrieve down when your fly gets close to the boat? you might not even be aware of it ................. that can make them turn away. Faster strips can work wonders. Make your fly look like it is absolutley petrified of something .

Every now and then the old Muskie trick works.......work your fly in a figure 8 at the boat with your rod tip.

Another thing is to trail a smaller or different patterned fly off the hook bend of your clouser, like a shrimp pattern or different colored unweighted streamer. Sometimes that "school of fish" tandem thing will make 'em eat too!

6. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

If you had caught and gutted any of these fish that exhibit this behavior, you would find that they have no food in their stomach. It's time to be looking into "waiting period" flies my friend. Check into Les' and Bruce's book, "Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon" for the patterns.

Leland.

7. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Leland is that what Les calls "transition flies" ?? He turned me on to some a few years ago and they were subtle, almost like bigger versions of partridge and orange soft hackles.......and they worked!

8. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Fish farmer -
    Definitely behaving as non-feeding fish -welcome to fly fishing in Puget Sound. Sounds like you have tried most of the retrieve speed changes. If the more subtle flies don't do the trick (I have had good luck with Knudsen's spiders - orange and black good choices) a trick I have used my help.

I go to a fast sinking line - trying to get the fly down 6 to 10 feet. With a brisk retrieve I lower the rod tip to the water's edge. Just as the fly begins its rise to the surface more steeply (about 15 feet from the boat) I briskly raised the rod tip while still stripping the line. The result is that the fly both speeds up and radically changes direction. This can trigger a strike. Having the fly down deep for the direction change is the reason for the fast sinking line. Can do something similar from the beach or the river if there is a strong current flow by sweeping the rod to the right or left.

In some situations it was not uncommon to have the fly followed by several fish. Have also found that if the above trick produces a take and fishing with a partner you can frequently double up if the other angler "covers" the first jumps of the hooked fish - seems that the fish's buddies greedy reactions we'll lead them into taking. For this method I have found that best fly has been a baitfish imitation in the 3 to 4 inch range - something that still casues a weak feeding interest but will trigger a reaction take when the potential diner tries to escape. Because the fish are no longer feeding I found that having a "stinger" hook helps convert takes to the hook ups. Also I try not to raise the rod pass 10 o'clock or so - saving a little rod for the hook set. Having small wired hooks that are sticky sharp also helps.

Using the above approach(s) has converted a frustating day to a double digit mornings. Let us know what things work out.

Tight lines
    Curt

9. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

After more than thirty years of fly fishing for coho when they get close to terminal marine areas I have come to the conclusion that during this "waiting period" before they move into parent streams that they have a wide range of exciter patterns that may -- or may not -- work at times. A conclusion that I've reached is that is that it pays to have a large, diverse inventory of patterns for this puzzling period. BC angling shops carry huge selections of what they call "beach flies".
    The fact is that we really don't know what coho are thinking at this juncture of their lives, other than at times they will grab a wide variety of flies large to very small. I do know that one usually doesn't have to get a fly very deep in the water column at this time of year. Coho tend to grab things retrieved near or on the surface although one may have to get down a bit deeper (Streamer Express, Quick Descent, Striper, Depth Charge, Teeny, etc.) on bright days. Regarding surface fishing, I recently hooked up four big coho on Vancouver Island using Leland's Beach Popper when nobody else, fly casters or buzz bombers were touching fish.
    So, don't get locked in on a couple of patterns. Fill your box with a variety of patterns from Green and Silvers, to Miyawaki Poppers, to Hurst Handlebars to tube flies to the Allard yellow or orange. You really don't know which one might light up waiting period coho. Our fishing pal Bob Young often scores well with a black Knudsen Spider tied on a number 6 salt water hook.
    Finally, there is usually a bite that goes on, sometimes quite protracted when terminal marine coho will grab quite actively for a short time. This is often on either side of the tide turn, low or high. Try to be at a usually productive spot at these times.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

10. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Media:
    I'm not really sure if you are the same 2 guys I've seen drifting and casting while I've been casting from the beach if you are hello, I've been having success with a slower strip using a fl.char. #6 clouser but it seems only in the last hour or so before dusk is when the fish start showing and right then the bite seems to turn on.
    tony

11. fish farmer

fish farmer New Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I went out again this afternoon and the same scenario unfolded. Tied up some heavily weighted tube flies this morning, they got the fishes attention, had a couple nips, but that was it. I will try some of the advice you gave next time I head out. I caught two really nice adult coho last week, but I'm really hoping a friend of mine who's visiting hooks in before heading home. Nontheless, it really gets the heart going when a chrome bright ocean dwelling fish comes within inches of slamming your fly, but not as much as when they actually eat......