Lots of salmon in the Wenatchee

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Whitey, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    On the way to and back from Chopaka we witnessed hundreds if not thousands of spawning salmon in the Wenatchee River above Leavenworth. Don't know much about this river system, but it looked encouraging. Of course, no fishing allowed, but still cool. :COOK YT

2. dlw

dlw New Member

When I was up there 2 weeks ago I saw em way upriver, above the dam and the rapids. I never got a good look at one but I would assume they are kings. Couldn't belive there were so many big fish, especially that high up in the river and in the low water.
    Anyone know if they're hatchery or wild fish? I saw a lot of them spawning, and I think the hatchery is down by Leavenworth. It's good to see an eastside river with that many salmon, especially when one thinks of how far they had to swim to get there.

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    I talked to my dad tonight, he lives in Lake Wetsnatchee. He said the Little Wetsnatchee and the White are full of salmon too. In his words, "they're stacked like cord wood". To bad it's closed, they should just make it a C & R/Fly fishing only.

Matt