Low Tides

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Apr 10, 2013.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Extreme low tides kill fishing and bring out clammers.

Leland.

Victor Low.JPG

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

No Whining.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Just think about all the moving water when the tide changes.:)

4. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Extreme lows give us the opportunity to see what the bottom looks like. This can be especially helpful when we fish a new spot. I usually take a few photographs and maybe pick a few clams:).
    Jack

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I agree with all of the above responses.
    Tomorrow morning I'm going for my Razor clams here. Then I might find myself wandering out on the tide flats to where I might poke up some sand shrimp so that I can take 'em back to the ocean beaches, lash the little critters to a hook, and proceed with the onerous task of prospecting the incoming tide for surf perch. With bait and a 3 oz pyramid sinker, I might have a chance at finding some Red Tails. Its a thankless job, but somebody has to do it.
    I have been scouting the beach for decent looking perch water at various phases of the tide, and have a few spots in mind. (There's a good one about 150 yards north of the decomposing harbor seal carcass).

6. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

That's one of my favorite beaches btw! :) There are HUGE herds of Sand Dollars out there, almost scary actually.

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I see someone has moved my rock... I'm telling ya, nothing is sacred these days.

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

The minus tide was right on schedule yesterday, but the wind and rain rode in on the incoming push, brandishing their sabers and sending me fleeing back into hiding before I could make it to the surf perch spot I had in mind.
    Its OK, though. I made wise use of the storm front, and finally finished doing my taxes.:) This frees up the rest of the next 3 days!

Eyejuggler likes this.