Lower Crab Creek

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jerry Arlington, May 21, 2007.

1. Does anyone have any information about the fish/fishablility in the Lower Crab Creek that runs through the Lower Crab Creek wildlife area.

We saw several bait fishermen fishing in the creek. Didn't know whether they spoke English so didn't bother to go down and ask.

I have fly fished the upper Crab creek and done well west and south of the Sprague area. I think they were mostly plants though.

I have heard there are parts of the Crab Creek that has wild bows and browns, most of the really good fishing on private ground though.

Anyone with any knowledge of that part of the creek? I almost tried it this past weekend to get out of the wind on Lenice! Anyone else there this past weekend? We were in the horsetrailer LQ.

We did caught 5 nice fish all around twenty inches,one brown 22". Two browns and three bows. Flash back pt. size 16. One of the browns had a growth on him about the size of my thumb nail, just below the gill plate on the body. I caught one twice a couple of years ago that had the same kind of growth or his twin with the same growth. Anyone know what it is or what caused them? Fish seemed healty enough!

Arlington

2. I dunno. I've looked at it a few times when visiting the sandy areas with relatives from Ellensburg.

The water speed is fast and there doesn't look to be much structure.

It's pretty, though, so I don't think you'd kick yourself for spending some time there even if you came up without any fish.

Rolland

3. There are all kinds of fish in the lower Crab, I think I would fish it with a steelhead drift pattern under the cut banks, or a dry if you see risers. Good luck and report back.
    I have always wanted to try Lower Crab.

4. do not go there because the fish are so big they will eat body parts if you fall in. no, no, most of it is private and holds big fish. the part by lenice and nunnaly lakes is very good but hard to catch fish because of so much food. mike w

5. I have to say I didn't think about body parts. But I don't fish with live bait or dead bait either.
    A heavy egg sucking leech, use an 8w rod and 15lb test.
    The game dept. did a survey a few years back. They found salmon and steel head in the creek.

6. Jerry,

Being a Gonzaga Grad, I spent much time fly fishing Crab Creek. I know that stream very well. I have not fished where you were talking about, but have fished just about everywhere else near Sprague and Ritzville. I have done my best in the winter. I have pulled 3-4lb fish out of that water, that would be wide enough for a person to jump across. I was there two weeks ago and I caught well over 20 fish, but the downside was that 18 of them were squawfish. Lets just say many fish were thrown over the bank. The two bows were about 8" and so that was poor. Hit me up if you want the info!!

7. I hit Crab a lot and average any were between 10-20 fish landed for a 3 mile stetch of water that I walk. Fish the best fly in existance... the prince nymph.

8. What part of the Crab are you fishing with the prince? Have you fished the lower crab that goes through the Sand duns near Lake Lenice?

Does anyone know if that part of the Creek is wadeable or is it too deep.

thanks for everyone's info

9. You might want to take this offline. Otherwise, it won't matter how deep the creek is 'cause you'll be able to walk across the backs of all the guys fishing it:)

10. Huh?

11. Thank you Tuna. I'm taking an 'ass hole' break and I needed someone to pull up the slack. Why would you guys advertise all the fish you catch and numbers on such a small sensitive stream. We know, we know.... you're an awesome fisherman:rolleyes:

12. I see now!! Thanks for the compliment, cuz I need that sometimes!

13. I'm with Panhandle and Tuna.

Some of you throw a fit when a mag talks about a stream or river.... even well known ones :rolleyes: Then others get on here and blab just to stroke themselves it seems. The cake goes to the guy who talks all about a location with over two foot WILD FISH WITH NO SPECIAL REGS... BUT HAS NEVER ACTUALLY FISHED THERE!!! On top of that it was given up to fresh newbie. And... AND the inquirer wasn't even asking about that particular location :beathead:

Nobodies going to die if you don't give them the skinny. A little help is one thing... we have a PM function on this board so lets use some discretion on what goes full blown public.

14. I mentioned a small creek on here one time and it was even listed in the regs as being fishable. Boy, did I ever get jumped on with that one. I deleted it off here and never mentioned it again. We have one by that name in Montana and it is a well known creek. In fact thare are many named that. Almost ever county has one.

Jim

15. Hmmm......How about letting people post what they want to post as long as it is applicable to this site and doesn't politically, racially or sexually offend anyone...Just a thought!!!

16. I guess if you're into thrashing small, sensitive fisheries, thats cool.

17. Is Crab Creek really a "secret" sensitive fishery anymore? I know it used to be, but the lower end being spoken of is not a secret anymore. I am not sure posts like this are going to increase the fishing pressure on this creek significantly, if at all, though I could be wrong. The public access spots on the lower end are well known at this point in time by many people, and the rest of the creek flows through private land, so you need to know someone or go knocking on doors to gain access.

18. fyi squafish (northern pikeminnow) are a native fish. They have evolved there unlike the stocked rainbows. I would recomend that you return them as they are a vital part of the system.

19. Ha Ha Ha, this is too fun! I only said that to invoke a fury!! I know what they are, but a cowboy I met one time, mentioned doing that. I was surprised that they have taken over the creek like they have been.