Lower Quinault in 2014

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Slate Run, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Constructive fish management is a rare commodity, IMHO

Chris Johnson and sopflyfisher like this.
  2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    You may not change the mind of the older guys with the nets, but when you have a tribal member wanting to start getting groups of young kids together to teach them the fly rod, there's hope for some change down the road. Might be too little too late, but I sure don't have a better idea.

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Late summer, a few year back, low water, gin clear, we fished the N fork and the E fork with nymphs and soft hackles, but only caught Bulls, in one deep run (smaller ones, only 13" - 14"). Saw some Sockeyes on their spawning run. Saw some fresh cougar tracks (big ones!) on a sandy river bar on the N Fork.
    After seeing those cat tracks, I don't want to go fish there alone.

Oh yeah, I was informed that Oct would be a good time to fish it.

I have to add that we arrived late, after first checking a spot on the Humptulips, did not fish until dark, and it was bright and sunny. I'll bet that if we had stuck around until dark, we might have been rewarded with some dry action.
    Also we saw schools of what we thought were Whitefish in the deep runs and holes in the stretch above the bridge, and below the confluence of the forks.

4. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    No, I don't think the nets are coming out either but I was surprised to hear an individual who doesn't even really sport fish catch on to the same idea. I don't know if that means anything or not but the mere fact that non fishers even think that gives some hope that with educating the younger, next generation, perhaps ideas can be changed in the future.

sopflyfisher and PT like this.
  5. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:

That's the best viewpoint to take at the moment as far as I'm concerned. Nobody here realistically thinks that netting will magically cease, fighting the Boldt decision is beating your head against a brick wall, and trying to change current netting practices is a giant waste of time, as we all know. I still feel like what's going on is a good thing though, and when the odds are overwhelmingly stacked against you, you've got to find hope in small victories. Trying to eliminate netting is such an overwhelming goal that it results in complete inaction. What is possible, though, is that some 13 year old Quinault kid is going to see more guys fly fishing the lower river and think "I'd like to do that"...fast forward 5 years and maybe he's swinging a run on the lower Quinault instead of exercising his right to drag a net across the entire river that day. If this guy is the real deal, and is serious about promoting that ethic within his community...more power to him. Get a few guys in that same boat and you've got a minor victory as far as I'm concerned. Probably naiveté, but what the hell, it's nice to think about. It clearly hasn't happened on the Hoh, but there's always a chance I suppose.

Justin Waters and sopflyfisher like this.
  6. Jim Wallace

Dream on, Bro, dream on! The result we would all love to see begins with a dream.
    On the other hand, this whole deal with the QIN shutting down Lake Quinault (the reason they gave was pure bullsh*t) to non-tribal members casts serious doubt on their integrity, honesty, and willingness to play fair.

(I'm sure that many of those who reside elsewhere may not be aware of the chagrin and animosity that this closure has generated between the non-tribal folks who traditionally enjoyed the lake or who live on the lake and the QIN. Myself, I was planning to purchase a QIN fishing permit this year so that I could go troll streamers in the lake, but that option is now gone. Chalk up yet another loss of fishing opportunity).

bhudda and PT like this.
  7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    This is the sad, but realistic truth. Most of the tribal fishermen whom I know despise catch and release sports fishing, and the fishermen who practice it. It is also unrealistic to say that adding more fishing, even catch & release fishing, to the lower Quinault River wild winter steelhead run, and especially the later winter run fish, will in any be beneficial to the remaining few wlld steelhead returning there. I see this as a sad example and symptom of just how bad things have gotten for our wild fish out here. And a sad testament to fly fishing ethics and conservation in general.

8. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    as long as the olympic peninsula is erroneously promoted as having the largest wild runs and best swinging water on the west coast things like this will continue.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  9. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

I think swinging is a smart management tool/plan. It should reduce hookups and unintended mortality.

Salmo_g likes this.
  10. Jim Wallace

About a dozen years ago(but maybe it was only ten), when I was still in the early stages of healing my shoulder problems (impingement), I had to decline an invitation from a local who was a QIN tribal member to go fish the lower Quinault near Cook Creek. He had told me that I would have to bring along my chainsaw, as we would need to cut a shorter trail to his spot on the river, or else be forced to pack out "all those fish" a couple of miles. Not only was I in terrible shape to attempt any such endeavor, but my chainsaw was in bad need of maintenance, and it was short notice.
    You don't get many opportunities like that in a lifetime. ;) Dang!

11. PT

PT Physhicist

YUP! Wouldn't want to harm one before it made its way into a gill net.

12. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    I see the koolaid is working, and some marketing for pockets gettin full, nothing else.....

Bob Triggs, doublespey and John Hicks like this.
  13. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Interesting for sure.... Swing only trips on pre gill net mega bucks? Quinalt has it dialed they charge to CNR them, then they net them and get to sell them. That's a solid business model!

So... where do I sign up and anyone know what color yarnie I should tie?

14. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Man. That. Sucks. Hope = Gone.

That just makes too much sense.

If you want to go, you might as well fish with a regular QIN guide, at least you'd be on fish and skip the "destination" markup.

Better yet, don't.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  15. David Dalan

Media:
    As a slight aside, the service mentioned by the OP appears to be be guiding the Snohomish as well. Probably a little "less guilty" Winter steelheading there. Maybe they'll do some Tokul creek walk-ins as well.

:D

(no rage now...I jest, I jest!)

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Snohomish Steelheading? Hoboy that is going to be off the hook!

Slate Run and David Dalan like this.
  17. Jumbo

Jumbo Member

what a fricking joke.

18. bendow

bendow New Member

Native netting is bad for steelhead. Catch and release is good for steelhead. So, a Native guide that is supporting catch and release is bad for steelhead? OR

If every native netted steelhead, that would be bad. If every native caught and released steelhead, that would be good. So, one native guide promoting catch and release is bad.

Interesting logic.

19. Jack Mitchell

Jack Mitchell New Member

Everybody has an opinion and perspective....It is human nature. I have pointed a finger way too many times in my life. What I find incredibly refreshing is the Quinault member's mindset to 'Bridge the gap'. I personally give major accolades for such an effort.
    Fish-out,
    Jack Mitchell
    Feel free to contact me anytime ..... http://www.theeveninghatch.com/

FYI - We are not guiding the Snohomish....We are guiding the Snoqualmie.

20. David Dalan

Media:
    Lol...sorry about that. All those S's confuse me. Clearly,being poorly informed never stopped me from sharing my opinion.

Oops.

And, all my smart ass comments aside, I too applaud doing something. Never hurts to try, and doing what has been done before will pretty likely achieve the same results they always have.

The worst thing that could happen is a few swingers get bent rods and the market never takes off. Hardly any worse than the current status.

Small changes are not exciting, but my paleontology professor in college once told me something that I still believe to be true. He said that new ideas are not widely accepted because the champion of the new idea convinces the old guard to buy in. For the most part the new idea gets traction with the neophyte and the old guard who hold on to the old ideas, die off.

So maybe this sews the seeds with a 5 year old who will grow up and choose to gear up a drift boat for $450/day swinging flies instead of hauling in nets. You never know.