M.F. Snoqualmie

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wyo_guy, Aug 16, 2002.

1. wyo_guy

wyo_guy New Member

First post here and let me say this website is an awesome resource!

Fished the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie Friday evening for the first time. Drove in about 8 miles and found some nice water. I fished mostly dries: 14 Stimulator, 16 PMD, 16 Elk Hair Caddis, 18 Royal Coachmen. Got several rises from very small fish, but nothing great. I noticed a significant hatch about 8:00 -- very small lighter colored flies. What were they? Any more advice for this stream? Also, I ran across a few large deep holes -- any advice on nymphs?

wyo_guy

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Based on the time of the year, I would guess that they were yellow sallies, a type of stonefly that hatches out midsummer around here, typically in the evenings.

You can do pretty well with any of the standard patterns for stoneflies tied in a yellow body. I never imagined that there was a need for a true yellow in fly tying until I saw my first yellow sally hatch.

Rob

3. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Could have also been Pale Evening Dun mayflies...pale yellow color with light wings.

Randy

4. dryfly

dryfly New Member

Not quite related, but just slightly... on yellow type flies:

I was on the So. Fork Snoq. this Sunday up at the picnic area (for those that don't know, off I-90 exit 42 Ashel Curits exit, go over the bridge, right turn go straight to picnic area). Worked upstream from lot about 1/4 mile. Water level is very low now, so no waders needed - just "rock hop" to good casting positions.

Since it was very early afternoon, 3 to 5pm timeframe, sun still high in the sky; I opted for a #14 yellow humpy (with Wolff style wings).

Excellent in the pocketwater, high floating, last well through several C&R's. Most fish are small in this area, 6" average, but I did get a nice 10" cutt who just waited in a seam for a meal.

I'd agree that the PED is a likely yellowish/cream colored mayfly that inhabits these waters also. However, I had to depart early and never got a time to fish the PED or caddis of dusk. I would recommend the Humpies in yellow, florescent green and red as attractors during the bright sun. The fish don't seem to care, as they are very oportunistic for a meal in the somewhat sterile westslope streams.

dryfly