MA 10 Report 9/3

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Brandon S, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Brandon S

Brandon S Member

I finally got out to do some fishing after taking a couple weeks off. With early morning overcast skies I headed off to a favorite beach not far from home. I arrived to find a couple other guys on the beach. For a little more than an hour the fishing was slow to start, maybe because it was at the top of the tide. Just as the tide turned and my thoughts drifting a solid fish stopped my fly mid-strip. After a fun battle a hatchery coho came sliding up the beach. It's good to have some fish around!
    2012-09-03_07-54-16_957-crop.jpg

2. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Nice looking rod and coho. Keep the reports coming.

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I saw you do battle with that fish. Nice job on the beach coho.

4. Brandon S

Brandon S Member

Thanks Stone, I now recognize your stripping basket. It was good to see you hook up right after.

5. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Good work! I've been curious to watch someone with a 2 hander on the beach.

6. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Do tell more about your rod setup. I've contemplated throwing a 10wt outbound with my spey rod just for kicks.

7. Brandon S

Brandon S Member

Hi Ten,
    The CND rod set-up is actually pretty sweet for coho as it was developed specifically for beach fishing. It's a 11' 8 weight and I'm using an outbound line cut and looped so I can swap between intermediate and floating lines easily. The outbounds are perfect for this type of fishing. To be successful with salmon its been my experience to consistently bang out as many casts as possible and to keep your fly in the water as long as possible. When you get in a groove with this rod, it can become almost effortless to load it up and send your fly out 80 or 90 feet, cast after cast with minimal false cast. When I first started using the two hander for coho I was afraid it would be overkill but that just hasn't been my experience. This particular set-up feels very light and lively in the hand and a angry coho is still an angry coho and will still tear you up on a two hander, even the 3lbrs. One tip I found is the absolute need for a stripping basket. You'll have both hands on the rod so line management becomes an issue. The stripping basket keeps your line up out of the water and solves the problem. If you try it, let us know how it goes!

8. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

Brandon, what weight outbound are you throwing? BTW- Great description of why and how you fish the switch.

9. Brandon S

Brandon S Member

Hi Mike,
    I'm using the 10 weight outbound

10. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Thanks for the info, I'm currently using an 8/9wt 11'3" switch with 10wt intermediate outbound and i seem to get more and longer casts in than with a single-hander. 3+lb coho put a good bend in the rod so it doesn't feel overgunned and the 10wt line cuts through wind and tosses large clousers with ease. Will have to try the 13'6" spey rod just for kicks to see if extra distance is possible.